Notices

Control my drinking

Old 08-02-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I wanted to drink at the same rate without the consequences
MI, you always come up with quips that I look at and my mind says "YES, that's IT!". You uncovered a lie I used to tell myself whenever I said I wanted to be able to drink like everyone else. Honesty with one's self is key and truer words could not be spoken than what you stated.

Thank you.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
This is a save, warm, and welcoming place for all who are seeking answers to questions about addiction.
My Freudian slip for the day! (Save)
Old 08-02-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
Trying to control it was exhausting. And 99% of the time I was unsuccessful.

I feel so much better know that the mind gymnastics are over.
This sums it up for me. Much easier to just not drink. The trying and failing to moderate (for years) got to be really stressful. I don't like to fail (who does). And the negative consequences from drinking were really piling up. So for me, the answer was to quit. And since I don't like failure, I am determined not to fail at sobriety.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Catman
Old 08-02-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

After trying and failing to control my drinking for a number of years, I just found it easier to stop. After a period of time when I felt emotionally fragile and weepy--about two weeks, post drinking--I began to heal and feel better. I have relapsed, but not for long, and I always got back on the non-drinking train. I just have today. Today I won't drink.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I can control my drinking just fine. It just consumes my thoughts all day long from the moment i wake up until i fall asleep and planning life around it and makes me sleepy, weepy, sneezy, dopey, poopy, grumpy, achey, clumsy, puffy.
But yes. I can control my drinking just fine and stop at anytime I want.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Not possible for me either. Sober is so much better. As others have said controlling was exhausting and the failure after failure so bad for my self respect. Just try the sober life, your self esteem will rise and you'll have so much more time and energy for productive things.
Good luck.
xx
Old 08-02-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

For me controlled drinking is like going back to crawling like a baby but as an adult, sure I can crawl on my hands and knees for a while but either instantly or over a short time I'm gonna think f*** this I can walk I'm a big boy now!
Old 08-02-2016, 11:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

For me, trying to control my drinking is like trying to control an angry toddler having a tantrum in the grocery store. Not gonna happen.

I think you've heard from the crowd. What you are hearing is that past a line in the sand, ain't no such thing as 'controlling' or moderating. We are here because we aren't moderate. I don't think a one of us would have advice on how to be a good moderate drinker because we haven't an iota of a clue. That boat sailed away a long time ago.

But if you ask me what a moderate drinker is in my head it looks like this: The person can go weeks or even months and not think nor care about drinking. When alcohol is served, they can have one, think nothing of it and walk away. Then they don't drink again. Because as another poster put it on a thread a little while ago "normal people don't drink that much!". Now that I'm sober, it amazes me how many friends homes we go to for dinner where they didn't even think of setting out a bottle of wine. I look at other diners in restaurants and realize how few are drinking, and those that do seem to nurse a beer for HOURS. This is not how we SR people drink. And here's the sad rub = many of us likely were moderate at some point - I know I was for the first 35 years. Then one day the switch flicked, and I was gone. There is no unflicking the switch for me.
I quit a few times and had some sober time under my belt when I decided I "had this" and could drink responsible. Here's how it went: I drank once or twice in a moderate way, felt proud of myself. By the third or fourth time I drank to blackout point. This time feels like for good and I am still saying good riddance. I have about 18 months give or take under my belt. I have no real sober time regrets. Can't say the same for drunk time.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

All of my relapses except one (and unfortunately there were allot of relapses...) Started with the idea of tonight I'm only going to drink a six pack or twelve or whatever. Failed every single time. One sip of beer is too much for me.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

One is too much and a thousand is never enough.
Normal drinkers don't wonder how to control their drinking. By the point you are asking that question, the only way to control it is to not drink.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Prbably I think in Stanton Peele's book he describes that 25% of alcoholics return to long-term low level drinking
Old 08-02-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I read that James. I saw my father do it. But try as I might I couldn't..it was such a bummer to realise this haha
Old 08-02-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
Prbably I think in Stanton Peele's book he describes that 25% of alcoholics return to long-term low level drinking
Sadly James I've seen people die, here on this very board, trying to return to 'long term low level drinking'

D
Old 08-02-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I know people who have done it successfully, and others who haven't and died or nearly died. I'm not willing to ever take the chance.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
EndGame

I've never met anyone without a serious drinking problem who attempted to control his drinking.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone
Old 08-02-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

My problem is my drinking was to get high. It was not social drinking. I always went overboard. Like so many others, the only path was to not take the first one.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
Commit to 30 days, no more, no less, no exceptions. Most normal people go 30 days without drinking all the time. If you can't do this, then you know you can't moderate your drinking. If you can do this, then you should have some clarity on your situation, if looked at honestly.
I really like this idea, and it was a thing that made me realize the moderation ship had sailed. A person who is not an alcoholic, not obsessed with/dependent on drinking can do this. Not me. I'd find a good excuse on Day 2
Old 08-02-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I think ultimately it depends upon the individuals drinking patterns. And the underlying reasons they drink.

Personally, being a binge drinker who drinks moderately most days, interspersed with a binge every few days, I know I could never go back to only moderate drinking. As it's all too easy for me to say just one more. That's how I end up on a binge in the first place.