Notices

The Sugar Connection

Old 07-30-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Quitting caffeine helps too. Both sugar and caffeine affect the same part of the brain as drugs, including alcohol.
You can reset your brain/chemical balance in 10 days by abstaining.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I draw the line at the coffee haha
Xoxo
But I totally get what you're saying!
Old 07-30-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi. So pleased you are having success.

Love the idea of this but it seems a very complicated diet. Also what do you drink.
Maybe I am missing something but would love it simplified into ready meals lol
Old 07-30-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
~sb

the ol' brain pancreas connection....

I would like to give up sugar, but not sure I can just yet
Old 07-30-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I gotta try this. Sugar has been my undoing since I stopped drinking!
Old 07-31-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This diet isn't the only one out there if it doesn't work for you. The candida or yeast diet is a great one if you google it. Great info in this thread.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

You might be interested in deltafosB. There has been some research linking compulsive running, sugar and alcohol. maybe that is why people seem to get so much enjoyment from exercise after they escape the booze.

?FosB: A sustained molecular switch for addiction
Old 07-31-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I totally agree, because I was forced to give up sugar, and have had zero alcohol cravings since.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm going to try this actually, I seem to have a huge addiction to sugar Since giving up alcohol!!
It's almost as bad too, I binge on it (Saturdays are the day too, exactly the day I used to drink) and I wake up 'hung over', not kidding, I feel awful Sunday mornings.

My question is how do you get sugar out of your diet, isn't it in so many foods? (I'm not a huge cook but it seems like it would be complicated to be reading every ingredient, especially with my eyesight, lol).

Also, as for helping with alcohol cravings, my cravings were never physical, it was a mental obsession with me, does it help with the obsession?
Just really interested in trying this! Thanks for posting about it!
Old 07-31-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jessie65 View Post

My question is how do you get sugar out of your diet, isn't it in so many foods? (I'm not a huge cook but it seems like it would be complicated to be reading every ingredient, especially with my eyesight, lol).
On the candida diet, you can use stevia or xylitol. Pretty much with any anti sugar diet, all processed foods are eliminated. Most fruit is limited early on and added later due to the spike in blood sugar and feeding the yeast.

I have never been a big sugar eater ironically. (Probably because I was feeding that sugar craving with vodka. Lol). But I have found myself grabbing handful's of m and m's or a bite sized candy bar here and there throughout the day.

I have had the candida diet on the back burner to do once I had some sober time under my belt. I think I"ll revisit this for a sooner than later start date. Lol
Old 07-31-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

To give up refined sugar you have to give up all proccessed foods..it's in EVERYTHING. But that isn't such a bad thing, as proccessed foods are full of harmful vegtable oils and such. Also refined carbohydrates (of which alcohol is one) white bread, white rice, white pasta..all refined carbohydrates and all converted unnaturally quicky by the body into sugar as they have had the fibre taken out of them.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fripfrop View Post
To give up refined sugar you have to give up all proccessed foods..it's in EVERYTHING. But that isn't such a bad thing, as proccessed foods are full of harmful vegtable oils and such. Also refined carbohydrates (of which alcohol is one) white bread, white rice, white pasta..all refined carbohydrates and all converted unnaturally quicky by the body into sugar as they have had the fibre taken out of them.
I agree 100%. Is there a specific diet that you followed fripfrop?
Old 07-31-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Thank you this is most helpful. I posted earlier about my sugar craving after I quitted alcohol. Clearly I need to address the sugar thing immediately and not allow it to become another crutch.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

No Behappy, I just eat a lot of veg and natural foods, white meat and fish, nuts no processed food, no refined sugar or refined carbohydrates, no vegtable oils and very little saturated fat.,that mostly comes from the nuts I eat
The doctor said I had to get my cholestoral down, quick, or I'd be on the statins So it started out as just a temporary thing just so my next blood test might be better haha..But after the first couple of weeks, I felt so much better on it, that I don't want to go back to eating crap, no matter what the blood tests say.
I daresay, I'll start getting a bit more inventive with the spices once I have a bit more time on it
Old 07-31-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fripfrop View Post
No Behappy, I just eat a lot of veg and natural foods, white meat and fish, nuts no processed food, no refined sugar or refined carbohydrates, no vegtable oils and very little saturated fat.,that mostly comes from the nuts I eat
The doctor said I had to get my cholestoral down, quick, or I'd be on the statins So it started out as just a temporary thing just so my next blood test might be better haha..But after the first couple of weeks, I felt so much better on it, that I don't want to go back to eating crap, no matter what the blood tests say.
I daresay, I'll start getting a bit more inventive with the spices once I have a bit more time on it
This is exactly how I eat as well.
Though I'll eat badly as a treat once in a while.

Behappy- I've never been much of a sugar person either- probably because the wine was giving me enough haha
Old 07-31-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Everyone PLEASE watch this!!! ( when you have a couple free mins)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8UZJRR8OHhY
Old 07-31-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

It takes a little practice to cut out sugar, refined carbs and processed foods.
But once you get into a habit of it- its really easy.

An example of dinner for me is
A big salad, BBQ meat of some kind ( usually chicken), baked potato with butter and onions ( if you eat potatoes - I do) sliced avocado on the side.
Its delicious.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Jsbodhi - THanks for that info!! I have not been following any specific diet. Just as you, trying to eat healthier, juicing, tons of supplements. Up until now I have allowed myself a handful of m and m's or whatever treat I want. I am going to change that. Last night, my kids and I had a healthy dinner consisting of pizza rolls, candy and massive amounts of popcorn while watching a movie. lol. This am I woke up and felt so hungover. I seriously had to regain my bearings upon waking because I thought I had drank last night! It has taken me 2.5 hours to shake this "hangover." Now I am not going to cut out completely crap meals while enjoying my time with the kids, but this is a huge flag to me that processed crap and sugars play a major role in this.

Is there ANYWHERE on SR that we can start daily dietary/supplement/accountability threads?? I would so be open to this. This is RIGHT up my alley. I know people post stuff and get reprimanded. Where can this info safely be posted, or can it?
Old 07-31-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Be happy- theres a nutrition section on sr- why don't we make a thread we can all join?
Old 07-31-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

So funny! I just looked and there is a quitting sugar thread!