Notices

What keeps me sober? Weekender July 29th Part 1

Old 07-28-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Thanks for the pressure washing tip, Brain!
No rain in the forecast for a while here, but imma pressure wash anyway, today after work. Because I can't wait to play with my new toy. It came yesterday in the middle of a gully-washer thunderstorm, so I had to content myself with gazing at it longingly. But it's all put together and ready to go.
be careful, wear decent shoes and long pants - that thing will cut you to the bone - not kidding... and when you start it, if it doesn't start right away, you need to relieve the built up pressure in the hose by squeezing the trigger... also, make sure you 'prime it' by squeezing the trigger and running water through it until it is solid - no air pockets - before you try to start it... you can tell... and WEAR SAFETY GLASSES OVER YOUR REAL GLASSES, AND HEARING PROTECTION!!!

and remember to eat, you could be out there for days with that thing and lose track of time - they ARE fun
Old 07-28-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I hate when I hear a song from my youth on the classic rock station! Makes me feel ancient!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

When I borrowed one over the weekend, I didn't want to stop. It was fun. I'm a geek. I got super excited about a new vacuum cleaner last year. Brynn and Della will remember.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Omg now I'm scared for Marty using that thing!
Old 07-28-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Still at work and likely to be so for a while so had to skim read, I will catch up properly on the way home

Classy opening post Ken

Congratulations on shotgun Behan

Welcome to Weekenders to all the first time posters on the thread

What keeps me sober is knowing what a coward I was being in drinking to blackout levels night after night in order to blot out the pain and anguish that I caused others and mostly myself.

I was drinking myself senseless rather than address those actions, those character flaws that led to me feeling bad and the irony was it only made me feel worse about myself so a bit like Brynn it was SOB for me

That and the fact that I was killing myself

Millimetre by millimetre I faced my fears and found that they were not as bad as my paranoia made them out
Old 07-28-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Let's be careful out there Marty!
Old 07-28-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Oh I will be. I got lots of practice over the weekend.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Also be careful how close you get the tip of the wand Marty. It can strip paint and etch wood.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I'm not using it on wood. My deck is composite. My siding is vinyl. Plus it's got adjustable pressure. I think it will be ok.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

One other thing, if you use it to wash your house windows, keep the pressure down. I know a guy who had water seep in around the windows.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi folks!

Marty, is it a gas or electric pressure washer? I also have a composite deck, that gets lichen growing pretty bad every couple years. I am thinking of buying my own pressure washer...

My truck is in! My truck is in! My truck is at the dealer! We are flying to the mainland next Thursday to pick it up--I'm finally getting excited about this!
Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

A few of the things that keep me sober-
I start each day guilt-free and with self respect. This leads to better days overall, whatever is happening.
Each day I notice improved moods, energy, and overall enjoyment of life-by NOT drinking. How simple, yet I didn't believe it until I started to experience it, and wasted so much time before I did. Each of these realizations throughout the day cements my commitment to never let alcohol steal those joys from me again.
Happy sober weekend to all ��
Old 07-28-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by Soberat50 View Post
I'll take a seat on the bus! Starting Day 5 but Friday and Saturday are my drinking days. Hoping to change my addiction to alcohol to addiction to sobriety. Told my husband and sons yesterday that I'm not going to drink anymore. Meeting two best friends for dinner tomorrow night to let them know. They've all seen me falling down drunk before (weekend binger), so I know they will be supportive. I want to be held accountable now! Love this bus, thank you for your inspiring post!
Welcome to SR and the weekender! We can move fast so no worries about keeping up. Just jump in anytime anywhere for anything.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

It's electric. I also have lichen on my deck. It comes off easily with the pressure washer. Even without any detergent. I'll post a picture of my new baby when I get back to work.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi Betty! Yep, waking up with no drunken regrets is a biggie!

So I broke down and spent $2.44 for a pint of Blue Bell Rocky Road. It'll likely be my only weekend treat and you gotta have something to look forward to, Right?

I have a really bad habit of spending too much money helping people then I gotta scrimp for a while to get back to normal. I just can't NOT help someone! Its bad karma plus it's just the right way to live. Xo
Old 07-28-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

What keeps me sober ?

I place no conditions on my sobriety .

I heard it said once that life is pain , death , disease and destruction .. I was unwilling to accept it and drink allowed me some denial of reality around me and what i was doing .
I decided to stop running from the pain , maybe even embrace my discomfort and disquiet .
I don't need a drink anymore i am no longer running , i don't need slippage between me and reality.
When you accept everything just the way it is, the good, the bad, the unfair, the painful, frustration a whole load of guano just drops away.
I have no questions about life , sobriety , whatever ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to all the newcomers

What keeps me sober is knowing I can't drink alcohol safely nor responsibly I know 1 is too much & a 1000 would never be enough not by far so with that realisation I know I can't drink I don't want to but even if I did I still wouldn't based on the facts I know I'm alcoholic & I know can't drink sensibly either

Stay awesome
Old 07-28-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

So, I'm drivin' along down the Hill Helen Gone from Aspen recently and - from outta nowhere - this Thought pops into my Head:

I'm not a Drinker anymore

Yah, Mesa, and any other Breakthroughs In Thinking recently? Hee hee...

What was happening was I was becoming cognizant that I wasn't pushing 'back' from Drinking. I wasn't circling the Drinking Flame like some Moth; fearful that if I didn't do thus & so mechanically or ritualistically, I'd get sucked back in/down.

No, what was going down was something akin to what one of many SR Pundits posted quite some time ago, and lodged into my Head. It took that Pundit ~3 Years to think himself a non-Drinker. I was undergoing that same Transition, and it rose up in my Consciousness when I was concentrating on keeping my Truck & RV Trailer on a narrow Road section that is now a paved RR Grade from ~1.5 Centuries ago.

*BAM!* Just like that...

Now, was this a 'forever & ever' Epiphany? No, and rest assured I'm not treating it as such; where I can now go off and get sloppy about Situations I get myself into. It was just a very kewl moment that was quite unexpected.

Being Present permits enjoyment of places like this...

- Blue Mesa Rez Pix -

With my Moment Of Zen in Mind, and Oldies Music under discussion, here's one that Motown-born MesaMate was groovin' on last Night. Being Present is one thing that keeps me Sober. Pretty effortlessly these Days...

- 'Signed, Sealed, Delivered' ~ Stevie Wonder ~ Live -
Old 07-28-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Here's the pressure washer. Karcher K2 Plus. 1600 PSI, 1.3 GPM. Should be just fine for what I need it for. I also got a brush attachment for it (not pictured). About $125 for all of it from that major online retailer.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

oh we're Karcher twins MLD , i have the same model