Notices

What keeps me sober? Weekender July 29th Part 1

Old 07-28-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Really GREAT posts this morning! Thank you for sharing.

I took the long way to work. OK I was cheating on my diet and gave in to a craving for a sausage mc muffin. I passed the methadone clinic and it was bumper to bumper and overflow parking. At least 50+ cars all waiting to get the help they need. This was at 6:10 AM.

Reminders everywhere.

K
Old 07-28-2016, 04:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Good morning everyone. Count me in.

Great intro Ken.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

This has been the longest week ever. Meetings today and tomorrow, and then my flight home tomorrow night. One more night in Cleveland. Seems like an eternity right now. Ugh. Thank goodness I've got time off next week.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If I could do it in moderation, you could count me in for a beer or a mixed drink at a festival or a restaurant. What keeps me from drinking is the elusive chase to remain buzzed or drunk. It doesn't stop when one is home and turns to day drinking, pre-gaming, etc.

Yes--there are all the secondary reasons like being productive, paying attention to my bills, returning library books that are a year overdue, making the kids and my husband happy, etc.

But, I'm just going to be honest, the main reason is because it's a never-ending cycle (at least for me). The other things are benefits to realizing it doesn't end with knocking back even a few.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hmmm what keeps me sober? I have worked to rebuild a life from basically ruins. I know how quickly I can lose it all if I go back to drinking. I also know it would only take 1 to get the wrecking ball rolling. As Marty said I hate the person I become when I am drinking and kinda really like the sober me.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Climbing aboard the sober bus!!!!

Fantastic introduction, Weasel.
What keeps me sober is being grateful.
And deep breaths.
And wonderful, nutty people who are just like me.......recovering sober people, especially those who hang out on the SR and the Weekender Bus!
Old 07-28-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Hmmm what keeps me sober? I have worked to rebuild a life from basically ruins. I know how quickly I can lose it all if I go back to drinking. I also know it would only take 1 to get the wrecking ball rolling. As Marty said I hate the person I become when I am drinking and kinda really like the sober me.
^^Ditto.

The depression and suicidal thoughts and the fact that I had alienated most everyone I loved, not to mention a myriad of legal problems from drinking. My couch was my spot to drink and my world had become incredibly small. I was either going to quit or kill myself, but something had to change. I stay sober cause I never want to feel like that or live like that again. I was betraying myself and my values every day and the internal battle and guilt and shame was overwhelming.

I feel reborn since quitting. The world is no longer out to get me and I find humor and beauty and solace in simple everyday things. Life is good again!
xo

Congrats on shotun, behan!
Old 07-28-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I remember when you got rid of the couch!!
Old 07-28-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I love that I can pop into SR at any time to post about how I am feeling, good or bad. I also gain so much by reading and responding to others posts.

The past seven months have brought me a clear mind, and much more calm feeling. Life still throws curve balls, but u have been able to handle them without alcohol.

Another sobriety perk for me has been losing 37 pounds. I have 11 more to get to my goal, but I am feeling good about myself right now. Normally I would stress about losing those last 11 pounds. I have shifted to being comfortable and happy with where I am now. Hmm, maybe that mindfulness thing is finally starting to work!!
Old 07-28-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Good morning everyone.

Very nice intro Ken
Old 07-28-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Haha!! Best Shotgun claim ever, Behan.

Ken, excellent message.

G'morning! Other than one ortho appt today, I have no place to be!! Yay, it feels good. I have tons of errands though, but that's ok.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Ken, what you said about the last few minutes of sobriety... yeah, I get it... and that keeps me sober, too. Being sober keeps me wanting to be sober.

I'm also an optimistic person and I believe in hope. I mean that, too. I know the sun will rise tomorrow (well, it's very likely the sun will rise tomorrow, I'll just say that.), which gives me tremendous hope. I've always been a person somewhat focused on the future. I love technology, improvement, advancement, and that things really do change. I actually admit I like change! Well, not all change, but ya know...

Maybe I needed to believe in better things when I was a kid, to get through that day, who knows? Who knows why I'm this way, but I am. And so I credit that forward-looking optimism for part of my sobriety.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Yes soberP.... It feeds off itself for me. A blessing. That took years to take hold but when it does it's a wonderful thing.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Morning/aft/evening, all,

What keeps me sober? A lot of people have shared what's important to me. To that, I'll just add this: In good days and bad, I have self-respect.

I'm off for the next couple days, with a good friend arriving at lunch time. Tonight, we're going to the Guthrie Theater to see "South Pacific." Really looking forward to it!
Old 07-28-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

oh please take me away on the bus... having to pack the house.. and find a storage area for a month or so.. my son is coming home with wife.. ekekkekek
love my son .. have tried everything I can to see how to relate to Cara.. she hates me .... so we will be sharing quarters for a couple of months.. and the house is a huge mess with Ed trying to clean and pack.. you know what his Mom never gave him any good lessons in life.. ekekkeekkeke
run run 3 more cats and Gussser is going to hate Shadow and Shadow is going to hate everything.. so we have 2 rooms connecting and our cats will live in there.. our bedroom and the sewing room.. at least if it rains and it leaks on the bed we can sleep in the sewing room..
weekend of cleaning and packing and finding storage area.. ekekekkee
Old 07-28-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm On!! Thanks for a very inspiring post!! I am on day 56!!!
Old 07-28-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Morning!
I'll chime in.
What keeps me sober? Honestly I NEED reminders of how bad it was at the end of my drinking. With over a year of sobriety under my belt there are times when I think maybe I *could* drink in safety. God always smacks me upside the head though, with a grim reminder of how bad it was. This past week I spoke with two women who knew me at my bottom...both of them were in AA and both of them said "I thought you were going to die." I was in bad shape. I was vomiting blood and covered in bruises, dehydrated etc. So I need reminders....in meetings, talking to my sponsor, talking to my sober network etc. I got sober for a reason...I was going to die if I didn't. I don't have the option to turn back.

Great thread!
Old 07-28-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good morning!

I'm on the bus! I think I want a window seat so I get a good breeze. I feel like the theme of the past week has been HOT. It's hot at work, it was hot outside. I need a nice cool breeze.

I saw a little cartoon that had fall leaves and colors in it and I was all ooooh.... I love fall. I wish a good crisp fall lasted longer. The aromas of the leaves, the crunchy crunchy when you're strolling, the colors of the changing leaves, mmmm. Yum.

I say this every year and I never do it. I want to drive up the west coast of Michigan for a color tour in the fall. I feel very good when I'm in my home state, and the further north I get, the higher chances of eating pasties. Mmm, meat and root vegetables.

I'm obviously having a moment here, haha!

I hope everyone has a good day. I have so much random stuff on my mind. I need a little pressure release valve, which obviously cannot be alcohol. I can't get to the gym today so I think I'll try the serenity prayer. Sometimes when everything gets too swirly in my cranium I take a deep breath and say hey, it ain't that deep. Life is but a dream. Do the next right thing. That helps too.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'll take a seat on the bus! Starting Day 5 but Friday and Saturday are my drinking days. Hoping to change my addiction to alcohol to addiction to sobriety. Told my husband and sons yesterday that I'm not going to drink anymore. Meeting two best friends for dinner tomorrow night to let them know. They've all seen me falling down drunk before (weekend binger), so I know they will be supportive. I want to be held accountable now! Love this bus, thank you for your inspiring post!
Old 07-28-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thank you Weasel for a great start. And everyone for such heartfelt contributions. I don't have anything this morning. Sorta just plodding through, one foot in front of the other. White knuckling isn't a recommendation I'd make. But it works for a while. At least in the beginning.

Congrats Behan