Notices

New To Forums...Tired, Sick, Withdrawing on Day 2

Old 07-27-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New To Forums...Tired, Sick, Withdrawing on Day 2

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here but have read a lot of your posts. I'm taking the plunge and joining because I need a lot of help right now and I figure that having a community will go a long way. I don't talk to anyone else about my alcoholism because I fear the social stigma that comes along with it.

I'm male, mid-30s, living in the midwestern US by way of the southwest. I've been drinking since my college years and have noticed my patterns getting progressively worse. I've had stretches of sobriety anywhere from a few weeks to several months, but relapse into heavier binges each time. I'm now at the stage where I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms, and it frightens me to no end. I have a lot to lose, and it's starting to feel like my next stop on the crazy train will be a hospital, a rehab facility, or a morgue if I don't stop what I'm doing.

Complicating matters is that I have a dual diagnosis of alcohol abuse and bipolar disorder. I've been able to get the bipolar under control, but the alcoholism comes back and bites me in the backside.

I know that most newcomers here are asked what their sobriety plans are. Unfortunately, I don't have one at the moment because I am on Day 2 of withdrawal and am basically just trying to get through the day as something that resembles a functional human being. I am exhausted to my core, so spiritually drained, and trying to get nutrients and water back into my system. I couldn't hold any food or water yesterday but thankfully the nausea stopped at night and I was able to get some sleep. I also had the usual shakes and sweats but those are gone now, and all I feel is fatigue.

The best I can do right now is make it through today and hope to be stronger soon so I can get my plan together and get back on the road to recovery. I've attended AA (once), looked into SMART and AVRT, and of course have had treatments for my mental health disorder, with varying levels of success.

I'm astonished that I've sunk so far, and even more bewildered that I haven't lost anything dear to me - marriage, home, work among them. But I know it's coming if I don't beat this sickness.

I haven't been able to even have a passing thought about alcohol without my body physically reacting to it (immediate nausea, wretching, yesterday was all the vomiting) so it's clear that I am instinctively rejecting its presence.

This was a stream of consciousness, so I hope it all made sense. Thanks for reading. I do know one thing about my plan - it will be my path back to living, hence my user name, and you all can call me PTL for short. :-)

Old 07-27-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, PTL! It sounds like you are really ready for a change. We are definitely here to help you however we can.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Welcome and good for you for seeking help and starting your journey of sobriety.

I used this site multiple times a day for the first year to help me through the process. It was my only source of support, and here I am 3.5 years later--sober and (mostly) healthy (haha...should be exercising!).

Take it easy and day by day for awhile. You can come through this difficult time and emerge a stronger and healthier person with a happier life.

It's possible. Stay close and best to you!
Old 07-27-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Path2Life. Your immediate concern should rightly be a safe detox/withdrawal...please don't be afraid to seek medical assistance if things get too bad. WD's can get progressively worse each time, so it's best to be safe rather than sorry.

Using SR can be a great addition to any recovery program and some even use the resources here as their sole recovery method. Everyone is different though, and you have experience with others too - so don't rule out using them too.

I think it's great that you are doing this now, rather than waiting until things get really bad. Your story is very similar to mine, and many others here - so we understand what you are going through. Be safe and stick around!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It really helped me to write down everything I felt during the last withdrawal, every little awful thing and then go back and read it if I had a craving. Take care!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome PTL you have chosen the right path. Glad your here!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site. Alcoholism for sure is something that gets nothing but worse and worse, and the first few days sober are very rough. Hang in there!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I identify with your path quite a bit. SR taught me that just wanting to quit without a plan doesn't work. Best of luck to you
Old 07-27-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I read your entire post carefully- it makes complete sense. I say that as someone who struggled desperately to stop drinking (I got to some or almost all of those consequences you mentioned) as well as psych illness. You have been willing to get help for the bipolar; you can do the same for drinking....that said -

Get through Day 2. That is your task, right now. Don't drink and stay stopped. You will need a plan- but you do NOT have to come up with it today.

Keep reading around here- and ask questions and look for guidance AS YOU ARE READY. I emphasize all this because it really is ok just to not drink for today, at this point.

Hang in there.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PathToLife View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here but have read a lot of your posts. I'm taking the plunge and joining because I need a lot of help right now and I figure that having a community will go a long way. I don't talk to anyone else about my alcoholism because I fear the social stigma that comes along with it.

I'm male, mid-30s, living in the midwestern US by way of the southwest. I've been drinking since my college years and have noticed my patterns getting progressively worse. I've had stretches of sobriety anywhere from a few weeks to several months, but relapse into heavier binges each time. I'm now at the stage where I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms, and it frightens me to no end. I have a lot to lose, and it's starting to feel like my next stop on the crazy train will be a hospital, a rehab facility, or a morgue if I don't stop what I'm doing.

Complicating matters is that I have a dual diagnosis of alcohol abuse and bipolar disorder. I've been able to get the bipolar under control, but the alcoholism comes back and bites me in the backside.

I know that most newcomers here are asked what their sobriety plans are. Unfortunately, I don't have one at the moment because I am on Day 2 of withdrawal and am basically just trying to get through the day as something that resembles a functional human being. I am exhausted to my core, so spiritually drained, and trying to get nutrients and water back into my system. I couldn't hold any food or water yesterday but thankfully the nausea stopped at night and I was able to get some sleep. I also had the usual shakes and sweats but those are gone now, and all I feel is fatigue.

The best I can do right now is make it through today and hope to be stronger soon so I can get my plan together and get back on the road to recovery. I've attended AA (once), looked into SMART and AVRT, and of course have had treatments for my mental health disorder, with varying levels of success.

I'm astonished that I've sunk so far, and even more bewildered that I haven't lost anything dear to me - marriage, home, work among them. But I know it's coming if I don't beat this sickness.

I haven't been able to even have a passing thought about alcohol without my body physically reacting to it (immediate nausea, wretching, yesterday was all the vomiting) so it's clear that I am instinctively rejecting its presence.

This was a stream of consciousness, so I hope it all made sense. Thanks for reading. I do know one thing about my plan - it will be my path back to living, hence my user name, and you all can call me PTL for short. :-)

Sounds like your current plan can only be for the "moment".

you have to get by these withdrawals to be able to even THINK about anything else..

I remember the torture of the first 4-5 days....trying to Nurse my body back to health as you are trying. Nothing helped me.

I took vitamins
Tried small bites of food (chicken broth was the best)
Didn't shower (too much energy)
took alot of Tums for Nausea
I couldn't sleep because i was so restless
I'm luckily prescribed a benzo 1x a day and had to take extra
I couldn't log on a computer
I couldn't barely walk
I bought some sleepy time tea for relaxation (helped somewhat)

At this point it is EASY to not want to drink...it is when a couple weeks pass..I'm a little over 30 days sober...and now I feel good...think I could have a few and stop...that is such a lie.

Hang in there....it gets better in just a couple days.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you Pathtolife
Old 07-27-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Here and now

Was in the same position you were little over a week ago, a living hell the first few days were. I can honestly say without a lie on my tongue it gets a lot better. I am only on day 10 but already feel fantastic, as opposed to being curled in a ball from withdrawal and anxiety. Never again do either of us have to go through that. Day by day my friend!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know you said you don't want to talk to anyone about your addiction because of the social stigma, but from my personal experience the journey to sobriety gets easier when you confide in a few people you can trust. At least for me that was a turning point. It was hard and uncomfortable, but it was necessary for me. I tried "fixing myself" privately for a year or so before I found the courage to open up to a few people and share my struggles (just last week).

For the record, I still struggle to stay sober for any significant length of time...but with each failure I learn something and try again the next day to do better.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome PTL. Wishing you lots of strength and patience on your new journey.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. I really appreciate that you took the time to send words of encouragement and advice!

The last several hours have brought improvement. I'm eating regularly, re-hydrating, and feel some strength and energy coming back. Normally this doesn't happen until Day 3, so I was happy to get some relief already.

Again, thank you all so much - I will stay on SR and use it as part of my plan to remain healthy and recovering.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome, PTL! Congrats on Day 3. I'd recommend checking out some more support group meetings once your body recovers. I go to AA, but SMART Recovery, Celebrate Recovery, etc. work for lots of people, too. There's also something called "Double Trouble," which is a 12-step program for people with substance use disorders and co-occurring mental illnesses. You have lots and lots of options!
Old 07-27-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to have you join us PTL

Making a plan isn't really that difficult...it's just about thinking about your triggers, changes you might make and the support you might look for

When you're up to it, this is a great place to start
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
D
Old 07-27-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome PTL

You are very vulnerable right now: body, mind, emotions, plus......
Do you feel ready to chart a plan? Sounds like you are doing simple things: stay hydrated and fed (if you can), get plenty of rest. I expected to just dive into life, but after 6 days in an ICU, I was basically an invalid. I was too sick to drink and thankfully didn't want to. My Guy wasn't going to get me any. Listen to your body. Day 3 for me was still a "sick day." And over the months I have to pay attention to any signals that might be a warning: drops in blood sugar, sudden dizziness, memory lapses, Continue to take it slow, maybe?
Also, after about 35 days, I got overconfident and lapsed. We have to be careful of the really good feelings too.
Congrats on you ongoing improvement. You will do this.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shirlygirly View Post
There's also something called "Double Trouble," which is a 12-step program for people with substance use disorders and co-occurring mental illnesses. You have lots and lots of options!
Thanks for this helpful suggestion! I never quite 'clicked' with AA, and I think it's mostly because I was missing an opportunity to connect with my dually-diagnosed community (there are many similarities, but the experience is just different in subtle ways).

I will be looking into this and perhaps some other dual-recovery programs, if they're out there.

Thanks again!