Notices

It's Never Too Late Weekender July 22 Part 3

Old 07-27-2016, 02:54 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

around 6PM yesterday I was yawning... OH! I've been awake since midnight...
woke up, took a few things out to the curb for recycle, and heard the first bird call... a cardinal in back... didn't do what I had planned for the evening outside yesterday... there's always tomorrow...

I'm in agreement with BigS... been there done that - too many times... I am happy to do whatever happens to fall my way most times... and happy if I do nothing at all... there's always fishing when I need a 'break' from the mundane...
What is the meaning of life? FISHING
Old 07-27-2016, 03:20 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I got to thinking... all of the work I have been doing lately...
When I first got sober it coincided with me losing my job.
I was worried how I was going to make house payments, pay for insurance and eat... that was my only concern at the time...
after a year and still getting used to the financial situation, no monies were spent on 'extra' things... year three, this year, I decided that this needs to be done and we have a few bucks to spare... I adjusted my lifestyle to what I had as far as 'income', her part time job has been accruing a few dollars in a separate account... and she is funding these projects... I try to stay out of debt except for the mortgage by not spending more than I can pay off each month, so far we've been successful at not paying any credit card interest for the past couple years... if I can't afford to pay for it, I don't need it... I've also noticed our food shopping has come up a few rungs since the beginning... we eat well...
times are good... could be better, but could be a lot worse...
going from almost 200K a year to nothing in short order was a wake up call, then I was allowed to "retire" and get a monthly stipend - which isn't enough to cover our bills... but we adjusted and are climbing, slowly, one rung at a time, but we are climbing... and also still using some of the staples I stocked up on before I was told I am no longer being paid by my employer 2 years ago...
I knew they were going to make an example out of me... I was the martyr... ....... it needed to happen, I am a better person and happier than I have been since I can remember...
when I lost my job, I could have said screw it and got drunk and continued down that path... instead I got sober and never looked back
If I, who had a good 35 almost 40 years of solid drinking alcoholically behind me, could just quit under the worst of circumstances, anyone can. You just have to make the decision I did. I said I will never allow alcohol to have an effect on my life ever again. The only sure way to ensure that was to never drink again. And I haven't, I won't and nothing will ever change my mind.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

have a good day folks...
a song:
Old 07-27-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

ah, one more?
Old 07-27-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Do your best

The video doesn't play L
Old 07-27-2016, 03:41 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Morning everyone! SW and LB!

At work already. Busy day. Talk later.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:53 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Morning everyone! I continued to read posts but I was too entranced by the chocolate covered bacon

Everyone have a good day!
Old 07-27-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Good morning! I want a vacation. I know, I just started working a few months ago, but I'm itching to go somewhere. Going to Chicago next week to see my dad doesn't count. That won't be much fun. It's a duty trip. My son and I will find a couple of fun things to do, but I don't want to spend too much time out and about. I think I'll have to help my dad with a bunch of things at his apartment. I'm trying to have a good attitude about it, but it's tough.

This will be my first sober trip to see him. I used to keep myself buzzed a lot of the time when I was there. I'll have to figure out how to stay calm and centered.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Morning folks. More contentious meetings today. Got my game face on. Catch up with y'all later.

P.s., @mesa, it is all so clear to me now. Who knew that chocolate covered bacon was the answer.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Ken
Old 07-27-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good morning. Brain, thanks for that post.

Marty I know what you mean about vacation. It'll get there.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Lunch time: ding ding ding ding ding.

I filled a plate with mixed greens, minty mixed bean salad, tomatoes, a few slices of ham, and my new favourite, pickled beetroot. A melted cheesy roll on the side. It never occurred to me to take a picture of my creation and a picture of an empty plate would be just weird.

Great post LB.

Kind of bored and restless today.

B
Old 07-27-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Fishing ~

It beckons. So, away I go w/MesaDog imminently. Oatmeat + PEACHES to fortify me as I drag in Monster Trouts that might require every ounce of energy! Thanks, Ruby + Jen, for that Peaches Song. Love it. Somehow, it gets played every Season about now. And, tnx, Ven, for the down low on the old Burma Shave Building. Easy come. Easy go...

I booked us a 4 Day stint WITH electrical hook-up a big Reservoir for next Week. 1/2 price with a Fed Geezer Pass. We might head off to Boondock thereafter. Time's a wastin'. I gots to hurry up and relax while Sober!

For Bim - who broke into a John Denver Song yesterday to celebrate her Sunburn - here's a fun Link below. It's set around Maroon Bells near Aspen/Snowmass. I linked other Pix because that area is a stunner. I was pretty close to there during my last Fishing Outing. As opposed to the 'old' Rockies, those Mountains are somewhat newer, and thus more 'Peak_y'.

The new Chest Freezer blasted down to -8 F [-22 C], so I tweaked the Temp Setting up a bit. It is rather expansive inside. Yesterday, MesaMate piped up and said: 'Boy, that would be a great place to hide a Body'! So, I slept kinda lightly last Night.

No such luck on the Swamp Cooler Refurb. I stepped in a big Water Puddle this Morning in the dark. One Compression Fitting on the new de-scaling Water Filter is still dripping a bit, so I'll slam on a new one post-Fishing. Priorities, you know. It's the ole 'Plastic [Tubing] Meets Metal [Compression Fitting] Conundrum'. Been there, resolved that. Yet another advantage to all-Concrete Floors. On one level.

- John Denver + The Muppets - 7:34 -

- Maroon Bells Pix -
Old 07-27-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great lunch Behan. I'm still putting lunches together here. My mother dropped by with leftover sandwiches from her garden club luncheon yesterday so that helps. Kids? I despair when making their lunch. Picky.

Time to shower and get out of here if I'm going to make my train
Old 07-27-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

mmmm, pickled beets.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Morning y'all!

Sound familiar??.....

Old 07-27-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Behan that sounds pretty good and healthy too! Not even breakfast time here, but I could go for some of that pickled beetroot.

I was tossing and turning and couldn't get back to sleep when I woke at 3am. Yawn. I finally got around to stopping at my mechanic's yesterday. My amazing new bumper is looking mighty fine! Today I'm getting new brake pads, and a few other minor things tweaked. Big meeting later on for work, we just brought on a ton of new hires so it should be fun.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Morning, all!

This coffee is doing its THING! I feel the heavy cotton candy that is my brain in the morning meltinggggg.

I slept well last night, got at least 7 hours and that's a blessing.

I'm making black eyed pea salad today, it's a cold salad with crunchy veg, very refreshing. And I'll make a batch of collard greens. And some potato salad. All fixins for the fried chicken we sell. Good stuff.

And I'm getting an equipment and small wares list together for the new location, and writing an ad so we can start interviewing people. It's all happening.

I did something weird today... I was getting out of bed, I don't know how the angle was different or whatever but I found myself on the side of the bed, on my knees praying. What a comforting way to set up my day, to ask the universe to help me keep my thoughts on a productive plane so I can be of more use and service to all. And to acknowledge that I need help staying sober and I'll take any cosmic assistance to that end. Felt good. I even remembered to say thank you.

Conscious contact with a higher power, one super clumsy interaction at a time

Have a great day, y'all. Don't forget about me!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Morning, all.

I get it about wishing I had a vacation in store, even though I had one in May. There's something about summer that makes me feeling like I should be in a car pointed west.

LBrain, I know what you mean about never looking back. Mesa had a similar message yesterday.

We read a lot here on SR about ending denial. About not living in terminal uniqueness. There's a reason for that:

It's a better life when you relegate that to your past permanently.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Melina said:

I did something weird today... I was getting out of bed, I don't know how the angle was different or whatever but I found myself on the side of the bed, on my knees praying. What a comforting way to set up my day, to ask the universe to help me keep my thoughts on a productive plane so I can be of more use and service to all. And to acknowledge that I need help staying sober and I'll take any cosmic assistance to that end. Felt good. I even remembered to say thank you.

Conscious contact with a higher power, one super clumsy interaction at a time

This touched me deeply, for some reason. Thank you.