Notices

Anxiety Issues at 5 month check in

Old 07-26-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety Issues at 5 month check in

Hello all! Just checking in to say I haven't forgotten about you all and I hope that everyones fight to stay healthy stays strong

I guess I'm proud to say I haven't drank in 5 months. The urges to drink seemed to have completely disappeared. I dont really even think about the stuff anymore which is just great. I've lost almost 60lbs this year and I attribute alot of that to a better diet that comes along with quitting alcohol.

Its weird though...

When I was a heavy duty drinker, the very thought of me being in the best shape of my life seemed like a crazy silly dream. Now I've accomplished both quitting the booze and getting very fit and I'm STILL battling these horrible anxiety ridden days followed by incredibly happy days. The weird emotional rollercoasters I go on in an average 48 hour span is quite silly to be honest. When something gets too stressful, I just lose my composure and my stomach becomes a breading ground for butterflies! I have realized that my emotions always feel "raw"..and I believe that's due to me having dulled myself for the better part of 5 years...and now when I must actually deal with something, even if its trivial, it STRESSES ME OUT.

I'm having a hard time getting a grip on the anxiety and panic I feel and I guess I'm not equipped to deal with it on my own...even though i've accomplished my drinking/diet goals.

I can't believe I'm almmmost at the finish line...and I'm not even happy or relishing these moments. Argh
Old 07-26-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Have you talked to a doctor about your anxiety? There are options on how to address it. There are people who never had a drop of alcohol who suffer from anxiety so it's not necessarily related to your drinking. I've suffered from depression, and to a lesser extent anxiety, for many years. I don't expect being sober will make it all go away. But with sobriety I have hope I can address it. While drinking there was no hope.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing great. It could be that you thought losing weight and getting fit would make you happy. But, it doesn't seem to work that way. It's just like stopping drinking doesn't make you happy. It's the changes that you make in your life in order to support your sobriety that help to make you happy.

There are two good books that deal with managing anxiety which I found really helpful:

'When Panic Attacks' by David Burns MD
'From Panic to Power' by Lucinda Bassett
Old 07-27-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I can vouch for both books mentioned above
Old 07-27-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 5 months - that's great

I agree with Anna - the way I thought my happy life would be didn't turn out that way...but I did have a happy life, in time

My anxiety lessened too, but not right away...it was a lifelong problem and I couldn't expect it to get better overnight.

Are you seeing anyone about your anxiety scared1234?

D
Old 07-27-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
It sounds like you're doing great. It could be that you thought losing weight and getting fit would make you happy. But, it doesn't seem to work that way. It's just like stopping drinking doesn't make you happy. It's the changes that you make in your life in order to support your sobriety that help to make you happy.

There are two good books that deal with managing anxiety which I found really helpful:

'When Panic Attacks' by David Burns MD
'From Panic to Power' by Lucinda Bassett
Thanks, Anna, for the recommendations. And thanks, Soberwolf, for vouching for them I ordered "When Panic Attacks" based on your recommendation a little while ago, Anna. Now I just need to read it

Scared1234, I understand what you are feeling. I've lost about 30 pounds since getting sober, which I'm very happy about! I still battle anxiety, too. I'm there with you. I'm 7 months sober today, and many things have gotten better, but it will still take time and effort to address other things. We did a number on ourselves It's great that now we are working towards a better life, a life recovery makes possible. Hang in there. You're doing great.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats on 5 months - that's great

I agree with Anna - the way I thought my happy life would be didn't turn out that way...but I did have a happy life, in time

My anxiety lessened too, but not right away...it was a lifelong problem and I couldn't expect it to get better overnight.

Are you seeing anyone about your anxiety scared1234?

D
I am now
Old 08-24-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Finding a doctor that you can trust and that knows your history helps because as mentioned above there are medicines to help you address the different things that pop up in recovery or life in general. Having a counselor helps also since then you will have someone to tell you different tips to deal with anxiety and point out what types of things specifically are triggering the anxiety.

You mentioned that you lost 60 lbs, that is great actually it is amazing! Taking anything wit caffeine, refined sugar, and lower your carb intake is a way to lower anxiety and help general mood stability though changing your diet and might be something to consider. I thought it would be hard, but I found that it did make a huge difference for me and also my sister. Just some food for thought.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fantastic Scared!!