Notices

Talk it Through

Old 07-26-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Talk it Through

Hey, it is my first time on this site; or, any site like this. Moreover, I feel like I've hit a low point in my life and that alcohol is there to pull me out. I feel like if I drink it'll make me more social and help me out mentally to figure out my issues. Ugghh... I hate this feeling. I've always told myself I would never EVER even consider being like this because alcoholism is hereditary on both sides of my family, and I have been a witness to what it can do.... And yet.... Here I am. Drinking a bottle of wine, listening to Christian music and writing in my journal while I contemplate where I went wrong..
Old 07-26-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jamie I know. I'm in that same boat. Same excuses too! I'm early in (day two without a drink). But it's not so much about what I did before, because that can be changed. What can I do today? So I made the choice that alcohol is a problem for me, and I won't drink again. It's not going to be easy, but it's going to open up a new healthy passion. We aren't bad people! And we are blessed we are able to change! Food for thought. very nice to meet you. Don't be a stranger.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jamiegirl View Post
Hey, it is my first time on this site; or, any site like this. Moreover, I feel like I've hit a low point in my life and that alcohol is there to pull me out. I feel like if I drink it'll make me more social and help me out mentally to figure out my issues. Ugghh... I hate this feeling. I've always told myself I would never EVER even consider being like this because alcoholism is hereditary on both sides of my family, and I have been a witness to what it can do.... And yet.... Here I am. Drinking a bottle of wine, listening to Christian music and writing in my journal while I contemplate where I went wrong..
You are aware of what you are doing. That is good.
You are aware it is in your family.

Do you want to stop?
Have you tried to stop?

i don't have advice if I don't know what your goal is.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ExDrinkingCub Congratulations that is great! And that is what I have decided; alcohol is a problem for me. Fortunately, I am fairly new to this issue and I feel like talking it through is the best option for me. I just need to figure out what to do next with my life. UNFORTUNATELY, I decided to turn to alcohol as I thought it would help. Of course, it didn't or doesn't. But, yes, I need to figure out what to do next-and need to stop.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
You are aware of what you are doing. That is good.
You are aware it is in your family.

Do you want to stop?
Have you tried to stop?

i don't have advice if I don't know what your goal is.
Misssy2 I am fairly new to this and have realized that I am going down this path. It is in my very best interests to stop before I let this addiction control my life. However, after many years of not understanding how people can't just quit drinking, I now understand why they didn't. BUT, I DO want to stop, and I feel that talking through this (even if over forum) is a good option for me.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome. This is a Great place for you to read so many posts by people who feel and felt the same ways you do right now. I hope you're able to take some of it to heart and know that...... You Can Stop drinking if you want to.... And, continuing to drink your way through it will make all of what you're talking about even worse. (It sounds like you may know this firsthand) but so many posts here will remind you. Wishing you the best tonight. Keep posting
Old 07-27-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Misssy2 I am fairly new to this and have realized that I am going down this path. It is in my very best interests to stop before I let this addiction control my life. However, after many years of not understanding how people can't just quit drinking, I now understand why they didn't. BUT, I DO want to stop, and I feel that talking through this (even if over forum) is a good option for me.
Thank you for helping me understand better.

If you want to stop...I would suggest talking to your Dr. about "Campral"...it is a drug that reduces/stops cravings for alcohol.

I was a raging alcoholic...for over 20 years...then I stopped for 8 years...then I have been drinking for the last 2 years. I kept wanting to stop and I couldn't. I would stop for 2 weeks...feel great and then just tell myself....I can drink...I just won't over due it....NOPE..doesn't work for me.

My Dr. prescribed me Campral....I did not believe in it...rolled eyes...got prescription...started taking it.....I honestly have absolutely NO CRAVINGS for alcohol. As a matter of fact...I walked into a liquor store the other day to get cigs...while my boyfriend was in there buying liquor for himself (I forgot to ask him to get cigs).

I realized when I got back into the car...WOW...I wasn't SAD that I couldn't buy alcohol...I really didn't even think about being IN a liquor store...it was like an ordinary convience store stop to me.

BAD stuff is going on in my life right now...and I usually resort to the feelings of overpowering need to escape..and alcohol is the BEST escape....but I am not craving alcohol.

A month ago...something really bad happened....and I didn't know what to do....although I didn't CRAVE alcohol...my mind would not stop...so I went and bought alcohol....I drank it....then I stopped taking the Campral....then I was in trouble again.

I did not get sick (If you drink on campral...there is not a negative reaction) like with other drugs - Antabuse specificially.

I would give it a shot if what you want is to stop drinking and to not have constant thoughts about drinking.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

AND...if it is you want to drink in Moderation...I suggest researching Naltraxone.

However, with Naltraxone...I find there could be a danger in not being able to stop...because with this drug....when you drink...the purpose of the drug is to block the "pleasure" receptors in your brain...so you wouldn't get the same buzz.

The story is that people who take this drug end up drinking less than normal...but they still continue to drink.

My problem with this drug is that I KNOW for ME....if I wasn't getting the pleasure of the buzz....I would just STOP THE PILL...and then be in trouble.

The Campral works the best for me....and I highly recommend you or anyone else to give it a try.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 07-27-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Way to go on admitting to yourself that you have a problem that you want to do something about. That was really hard for me to do... I always knew I had a problem (majority of my family shares the same problem as well), but it took me a dozen years or more to finally begin to do something about it. In the beginning I felt like I needed to know why I was doing what I was doing so I could come up with an answer and plan of action. Turns out alcohol is my solution to life, my answer to everything. I have a lot of work to do! But luckily we are not alone in this. So feel free to talk it out, this is a great place to sort your thoughts on the matter.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I feel like if I drink it'll make me more social and help me out mentally to figure out my issues.
I decided to turn to alcohol as I thought it would help.
Did you feel it or did you think it?

Learning to tell the difference between those two things saved my life. Drinking made me feel. It sure didn't make me think. Mostly what alcohol made me feel was that I should be drinking more alcohol.

Based on the direction my life was going, I think drinking more alcohol is a really bad idea.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Jamiegirl.

Alcohol is by its very nature cunning and baffling. It promises the world and even when it fails to deliver, as alcoholics we fall for its lies time and time again.

How to stop? Put the glass down, pour out the booze (all of it, none of this saving some for guests, or, but that one was a gift malarkey ). There you go. Stopped. Sober. And repeat.

Now for the tricky bit. Recovery. This is the bit where we learn to accept ourselves, and life as they are. Where we learn to deal with our anxiety, fear, guilt, shame, anger, resentment, boredom or whatever without picking up a drink. Where we start to recognise when our self-will is running riot; When we are rationalising; when wishful thinking is over-riding gratitude; and when we are letting ourselves drown in a tsunami of self-pity. And being willing to take the steps that are suggested to us in order to recover.

The most important inner resources that you can have are acceptance and willingness if you want to get well.

There is lots of advice on here about making a plan that you can explore if you feel so inclined. Some people don't really want to make a plan: They just want to complain about the predicament they have found themselves in. I did that for a while if I'm honest. I needed to get to a special kind of desperate before I found my willingness. Only you will know if you're looking for a solution, or just making a complaint, and even you will need to think about this a little, and scrape around for some self-honesty (that isn't always so easy to drum up when we're drinking).

Anyway. Here's a link to a really good thread just in case you are looking for ways to get better and are ready to take some action... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-2.html

Wishing you well for your sobriety and recovery. BB