Notices

When you have dealt with everything

Old 07-24-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When you have dealt with everything

I am so frustrated...I had a lot of horrible things happen in my life that probably facilitated my alcoholism...I went to rehab & dealt with a lot of s***.,,I thought once I faced my demons it would be easier...it's not! I still drank this morning...I've been to rehab & AA...What am I missing?
Old 07-24-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sorry to hear you are still struggling GAHaley. As far as what you are missing, it might help to know what you've done so far. Rehab itself gives you the tools to stay sober, but simply competing it doesn't "cure" your alcoholism, you need to face it and learn ways to deal with it for the rest of your life. Granted it gets a lot easier over time, but we can never forget that we are always alcoholics...forever.

That's where a recovery plan comes in. In AA for example, it's not just about going to meetings. The real work is in working the steps. A sponsor helps but you need to accept your addiction and do the bulk of the work.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Catch 22

It is never going to be easy. Some of us became alcoholics despite all the good things that happened to us. Some of us became alcoholics because of all the bad s**t. It does not matter. The result is the same. Take it minute by minute if you have to. Best of luck.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think that what ya may have missed is facing your demons doesn't mean staying sober is easier. I know it doesn't say that in the big book of AA, which says our sobriety is contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition.
did you work ALL of the steps?
start practicing the principles of the program in ALL of your affairs?
Old 07-24-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Acceptance of the facts I know I can't drink safely or responsibly so I based on that alone as a foundation i don't drink & choose instead to learn about myself

You have my word life gets better when you accept it & lay it to rest so to speak no point walking in circles on a dead end street

Stick with AA keep posting here & know you can do this brother

Maybe make an accountability thread to keep on track ?

Old 07-24-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What am I missing with AA? I have read the BB & worked the steps?? I was anti-AA until I went to rehab...I get it now...but still stuggling?
Old 07-24-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

What did you learn by working those steps?
Old 07-24-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by GAHaley View Post
I am so frustrated...I had a lot of horrible things happen in my life that probably facilitated my alcoholism...I went to rehab & dealt with a lot of s***.,,I thought once I faced my demons it would be easier...it's not! I still drank this morning...I've been to rehab & AA...What am I missing?
I drank for several decades - I found I actually outlasted a lot of the things I started drinking for...the things that got to me as a 20 year simply weren't there as a 40 year old.

But I'd developed a fine case of alcoholism. To find lasting recovery I had to deal with that - just as much I had to deal with my remaining underlying issues or demons.

You can still have demons, you can still work on them - you just can't drink on them - not if you want to leave this kind of crap behind.

Do everything possible not to drink. That's a fine starting point for any plan.

If I can change my life I believe you can change yours GA

D
Old 07-24-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I drank for several decades - I found I actually outlasted a lot of the things I started drinking for...the things that got to me as a 20 year simply weren't there as a 40 year old. But I'd developed a fine case of alcoholism. To find lasting recovery I had to deal with that - just as much I had to deal with my remaining underlying issues or demons. You can still have demons, you can still work on them - you just can't drink on them - not if you want to leave this kind of crap behind. Do everything possible not to drink. That's a fine starting point for any plan. If I can change my life I believe you can change yours GA D
This is the first time I have heard it this way....I finally get it...thank you..
Old 07-24-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi GA maybe you have to find that person inside that knows that even though you have had a lot of horrible things happen to you drinking isn't going to take the pain away and will of course only add to it.

What may well reduce the hurt is overcoming this horrible condition and having a good life.

Your willingness to post here shows that you want to beat this thing. It is just a question of getting into the frame of mind where not drinking anymore is the easiest option not the hardest

Don't be put off by early mis-steps as long as you analyse and learn something from them

Good luck
Old 07-24-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The main thing to staying sober is, you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you least! That's why I'm here...I don't think any of us want to spend our time on a website to stay sober...but I'll do anything!
Old 07-24-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It is a great community. Not a bad place to spend some time. Reading inspirational posts here has kept me sober.

Sounds like you do want sobriety. Dont give up. Find what works for you.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There is nothing bad that has ever happened to me (and there have been some doozies) that alcohol has not made worse. The last time I drank was a year and two months ago and it took a severe car accident and a nasty bleed in my brain to cause me to finally wake up to the reality that I can never drink again. I drank only three beers that night, the first night after four years sobriety but it was enough after so long. I was also dealing with some critical psychiatric issues and schizoaffective disorder at the time. I am so glad I understand now. I've gotten lots of help and I am feeling optimistic after a long time. I have also been leaning on SR and come here often during the day; there is a wealth of information here and the support of this caring place. Make a plan, GAHaley!
Old 07-24-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I echo what Dee said. You have the tools to stop drinking and that's great. Then the hard part of finding new and healthy ways to deal with life's problems. When I was drinking I truly believed it was the only thing to do in a crisis and of course, everything was a crisis. When I stopped drinking I had to learn ways to get through each day without drinking. For me, balance was the key. It's how I get through each day. I spend some time walking outside. I read something spiritual each day. I take a little time to be quiet with myself. Find what works for you and you will have the key to long term sobriety.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

How are you doing today GAHaley?