Notices

Musings

Old 07-23-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Musings

I'll start with the bad and go to the good.

The bad: My g*d d**m dad came over to my house last week before his surgery while I was away in school and the wife at work looking for pills. We hide them now. And yet he started looking through drawers and in jewelry boxes etc....My wife knows if the toilet has been flushed she's so observant. So I called him out on it, and scolded him again. I will address it again once he's better. I felt violated. Its terrible.

The good: Surgery went great, he's home and feeling good. Its amazing how far technology has come. No stitches, just glued it together, very little swelling and he's walking around like nothing happened, even though he had two vertebra fused. So everything is good on that front. He should be good for a few more years.

Also, I had a physical 2 weeks ago and got my results. Everything is great. Liver, kidneys, blood pressure, blood sugar, even my cholesterol has gone down. Very pleased. There can be only one reason all of these things are the way they are. No alcohol. Its amazing.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

High five! (Hug)!
Old 07-23-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Jeff
Old 07-23-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Old 07-23-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think back to April/May of 2015 when I used to log on to this site. I thought it was a social network of people halfheartedly trying to get sober, and of course I didn't think my problem was nearly as bad as the next guy, right? So it was a mild form of entertainment, got scolded plenty, occasionally got a few laughs, and off I went.

Little did I know that SR was a VERY serious, tight-knit community that was dedicated to addiction and the spider web of problems that goes with addiction. Little did I know people actually died from alcohol. Little did I know there was a host of options for people outside of AA or rehab. Little did I "admit" that I indeed had a drinking problem, and it was completely not normal, and it would soon turn my world upside down.

I was very naive to the entire thing. Like many people, I wrapped up in my own little world and as long as the $$ came in, all was good (which didn't always happen).
The last year of my life and being part of this community is probably the most memorable and positive year of my life since 1998. God's honest truth. Other than employment, everything else has improved. My marriage, my relationships, my health, my self confidence, my quality of life and hopefully my character. I also hope these changes are permanent.
I mentioned in another thread, my wife's previous boss died last week from an alcoholic stroke. He was 45-46 yrs old and a very successful attorney.

Never in a million years did I think an internet "family" could impact me so much. This place allowed me to "grow up". Of course I can still be a immature brat on occasion, but for the most part, I feel like the adult I should be and took back control of my life. Starting a new chapter regarding employement on 8/1/2016, and I'm much more prepared than I was when I started my landscape company in 2003-4.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad things are going well surgery wise Jeff, and glad you got good results

as regards your Dad looking for pills, scolding would be the least thing I'd do.

My folks aren't good on boundaries..so they don't have a key to my place and when they visit I lock my bedroom door...

just sayin'...

D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-23-2016 at 04:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-23-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update... Glad all went well with your dad and your tests came back good. As for the violation of your space and trust...... What a terrible thing to have to deal with.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad things are going well surgery wise Jeff, and glad you got good results

as regards your Dad looking for pills, scolding would be the least thing I'd do.

My folks aren't good on boundaries..so they don't have a key to my place and when they visit I lock my bedroom door...

just sayin'...

D
Thanks Dee and REsoberALITY (hope I got that right). Yes! Its unimaginable what he did. I think at this point the only option is changing the code on my garage door. Its wrong on so many levels and yet it seems to escape him that its wrong.

Years down the road I may look back upon this and have a different view/opinion, but right now I'm pretty steamin' mad over it.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on your good health, Jeff! That is great.

Yeah, looks like you need to lock your Dad out. That is completely disrespectful of him to do that to you all.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dunno about you, but I think things like that also bring back some of the utterly disgraceful things I did to get my fix, Jeff.

D
Old 07-23-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad your Dad is recovering well from operation,
and I agree with others--change the code, change the locks if needed,
and stand firm.

You've come a really long way and have a lot to be proud of Jeff.
So your new work start date is 8/1?
Got some new work clothes yet?
Old 07-23-2016, 09:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Jeff,

Will you be starting at the real estate company on the 1st?

I'm glad your check up brought such good results!
Old 07-24-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congratulation!! I don't post often enough but have enjoyed reading your posts. Glad everything is going so well for you!!!
Old 07-24-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Jeff; so very happy for you.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Glad your Dad is recovering well from operation,
and I agree with others--change the code, change the locks if needed,
and stand firm.

You've come a really long way and have a lot to be proud of Jeff.
So your new work start date is 8/1?
Got some new work clothes yet?
Hi Hawkeye, yes I have 2 new suits, and 3 sets of business casual combinations (3 slacks and a handful of shirts). The only thing I still need is another pair of dress shoes.

I had to dress business casual at the corporation I worked for so it won't be completely new to me.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Jeff,

Will you be starting at the real estate company on the 1st?

I'm glad your check up brought such good results!
My last day of class is this Thursday Delilah (7/28). As I mentioned in my other post, I have the clothing needed, but there are other investments to be made. I will sell my last truck and then I need to upgrade my smartphone, get a tablet or ipad and I am going to have the bite the bullet and buy a decent SUV. I need something AWD for winter.

I'm kind of proud of myself....I registered my website domain last week, I am surprised it wasn't taken. Its my firstname lastname realty.com. So my spot on the internet is waiting for me.