Notices

Back to Day 1

Old 07-22-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back to Day 1

Hi everybody - It's been a while since I posted as I've been struggling with my drinking. I had a really bad two days of a bender due to stress and now trying to get through Day 1 again. The anxiety is the worst. I took some Valerian Root and just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions to feel better.

I realize I need to get serious about quitting this poison and can't do it alone. I feel like I'll never get better. But alcohol sure hasn't helped me any. Going to a AA meeting this evening. I really appreciate this community. I don't want to live like this anymore.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back BeanieBaby, glad to hear you are making a new effort to get sober. the AA meeting sounds like a good idea, and spending time here always helps if you can.

Regarding things to do to feel better, unfortunately withdrawals need to run their course and sometimes they won't be very pleasant. Getting rest when you can, drinking plenty of water and eating some good food if you can will help - but there is no magic pill you can take to make it go away. Regarding natural supplements, please be aware that they can have good and bad effects too so if you are in doubt check with your doctor on those.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Thanks, Scott. It's good to be back - hopefully I can start posting some good news for a change.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you make this your last day one.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job coming back here Beanie!

My suggestions would be:

-take a walk, do something physical
-guided meditations (there are hundreds of free ones if you google it)
-deep breathing
-take a hot shower or bath
-drink LOTS of water and eat something
-watch funny movies
-color in a coloring book or draw

Just a few I have used...I know they all seem so simple and nothing seems like it will help when the anxiety sets in, but hang in there...this too shall pass
Old 07-22-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad your back BeanieBaby.

taking things 1 day at a time, HALT, and putting my sobriety above EVERYTHING else got me to 90 days (and beyond).

I hope you start to feel better soon.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm happy you are back and ready to start fresh with your recovery. Right now might be a really good time to look at what you were lacking in your recovery plan last time. Filling in the gaps and weak spots will be extremely important for this time around. Also, listing numerous ways to handle stress in a healthy way will be beneficial so this time around will be different.

Happy to hear you are going to a meeting this evening- we can't do this alone...we need a sober support system that we can lean on and connect with when we are having weak moments.

As for ways to get through withdrawals easier- as said above there is no magic pill to get through them. You can make an appointment with your doctor and he or she can evaluate you and decide if there are any prescription medications that would benefit you in this time. Ashwaganda (at GNC) is good for mood, energy, anxiety, and overall mental health. St Johns Wort is a natural anti depressant and Melatonin is a natural sleep aid but before you take any supplements please talk to your doctor since supplements interact with many medicines and can have negative side affects if you have certain medical conditions. Creating a sleep routine, being active and working out- even if you are just taking short walks it will help with endorphins, meditation, yoga, journaling, etc. are all good ways to get through withdrawals also.

You can do it!
Old 07-22-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very glad to see you back, Beanie.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good to see you
Old 07-22-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me back. Looking forward to getting through tonight and on with tomorrow
Old 07-22-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know exactly what went wrong. I stopped doing yoga and didn't have a comprehensive plan - like Dee always wisely suggests. I need to make recovery my #1 priority and that means meetings, yoga, substituting good things for self medicating with booze. It's work - everything in life that is worth it is work. I've realized there's no easy way.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GAHaley View Post

My suggestions would be:

-deep breathing
-watch funny movies

Just a few I have used...I know they all seem so simple and nothing seems like it will help when the anxiety sets in, but hang in there...this too shall pass
Yes I love all of these!
Welcome back beanie! Xoxo
Old 07-22-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back! You can do this! We are all pulling for you. Wishing you lots of strength and patience tonight.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry to hear you've been struggling but good to have you back BB - AA sounds like something worth trying

D
Old 07-22-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!!
Old 07-23-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GAHaley View Post

My suggestions would be:

-deep breathing
-watch funny movies

I agree completely! Small, simple and they work! I also put some of my favourite comedy on my iPod. Eddie Murphy's goonie goo goo still makes me crack up (free on YouTube).

KP
Old 07-23-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Time is the only thing that works to get the poison out of your system. I would use this to reflect on the next time you if you think about wanting to drink, that this hell is going to be the outcome yet again.
Having a good plan also is a good thing, and starting with yoga and AA sounds like one!