Notices

Stupid things are so important to me

Old 07-21-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stupid things are so important to me

Still living the life of sobriety. I notice I am becoming more regimented in my daily activities. I find myself obsessing over little things that normally would be no big deal. I know it sounds weird but like I will not miss certain shows. I never really used to care about tv. I've been drinking a lot of un-sweet decafe tea. If I get low I'll drop everything to make more .i almost panic a tiny bit. I know I'm redirecting my addiction but is that a sign of weakness or did you guys start to get kind of quirky?
Old 07-21-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Was always quirky when I was younger and more OCD about a lot of things. I spent the last half of my life drinking it away though.... Now I do notice some of it is returning. I think it's a good thing though, I would rather have the ambition back to do things I always used to, then to drink my days away not giving a s*** like I did.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I started to get quirky about different things..I would obsess over something that should not have even made me blink at it. I started going to counseling, got a full psychological evaluation, and my doctor found the right combination of medications (I have generalized anxiety disorder, bipolar type 2 disorder, and treatment resistant depression) for me and now besides making sure things are organized I basically have stopped my obsessing.

I think it is common to focus on things that we can control in order to keep ourselves moving forward. I am a firm believer that everyone should go to counseling at least for a little and that anyone that has had an addiction should get a full psychological evaluation from a psychiatrist that specializes in addiction but maybe I just take it over board with mental health.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Emotions are all over the place in early recovery. With more sober time, you'll settle down.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think people in recovery desire consistent routines,I know if something throws off my daily schedule I kinda freak out,small things such as an unexpected appointment, not having something in place for dinner, etc,so I just try and stick with whatever is working routinely
Old 07-21-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Winslow, I guess that's how I feel I want everything the same. Feels safe that way. It doesn't bother me as I'm real happy and proud I've what I've accomplished. Just really want to understand all of the changes based on all the experience here so I don't make a mistake
Old 07-21-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What I've noticed as I've gotten sober is how much of a control freak I am, I guess because I fear change, particularly when it comes to what I feel is my "territory", if that makes sense. So I guess that could lead to a sort of quirkiness, regarding my routine, wanting to keep certain things the same, otherwise I don't feel safe...

But I guess we were all pretty ritualistic regarding our drinking, weren't we? That in itself is pretty damn quirky! All the ways we made sure we could drink when and how we wanted, that we always had enough on hand, etc... Now we're in uncharted territory, so to speak, and still finding our way
Old 07-21-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm in my mid fifties and drank for a long time. Somehow I knew I was at a fork in the road for the last time. I knew if I went left and continued drinking I would give up fighting for sobriety for ever and die . I choose to go right and live sober. I don't care how guirky I get . I think it's awesome nothing is more important to me then sobriety. I hope we all get there together.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

To me you sound quirky and certainly not like you are doing anything wrong. Quirk it up and keep truckin, I'm quirky as hatter and couldn't be happier that I no longer drink.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hmm. Sounds a bit like your addiction (compulsion and obsession) coming out sideways. What are you doing for your recovery? It might be worth looking at your plan to see if you can add something else to it. At the moment you may well be latching onto harmless things, but the point of recovery is learning not latch to on to things, but to live life on life's terms. I have learnt that when I allow my obsessive and compulsive nature free reign and don't keep it in check, the bloody thing is likely to latch onto something (some crush, or a resentment, or something that will incur financial bloody ruin or some binge or another that will be bad for me physically) when it's off at full pelt, like a frisky puppy let off the lead, and then it's a bugger of a job to rein it back in.

Often these obsessions give us some false sense of control over our lives. But it is just that. False. Acceptance is our friend.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think all humans have quirks it's what makes us ... us

If you think it maybe ocd then it's best advised to speak with a Dr