SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Maybe a turning point for me? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/394792-maybe-turning-point-me.html)

noneever 07-20-2016 07:39 PM

Maybe a turning point for me?

I've spent all of this year mostly lurking on these forums. I've posted a few times but not for a while as I've been on the merry go round of drink, stop, drink, stop and felt too ashamed to 'show my face' here.
I've recently been drinking increased amounts- I binge every few days and the other night I reached 2 bottles of wine. I've spent the last two days in a pit of self loathing and despair.
And incredibly, as I left work this morning, my first thought was, 'I can drink now that my working week is done'. The craving was intense.
But I've realised something, which I hope may be a turning point for me.

Just because I have a thought about drinking, doesn't mean I have to act on it. I am in control of my actions and choices. I will have thought of drinking. Cravings will arise- these are not signs of failure and therefore a reason to drink, they're simply thoughts.
I don't have to act on them. And this morning, I didn't.

BarOwnersSon 07-20-2016 08:07 PM

Hi noneever. Glad you showed your face! No shame here. We are all on the same boat. Have been. Are. Will be. And you are so right. We absolutely don't have to act on those cravings. Keep in touch!

Coldfusion 07-20-2016 08:07 PM

Congratulations on not choosing to drink after work!

I need to put regular effort into my sobriety--I go to AA meetings and read and post here a lot. I hope to hear more from you--it works if you work it!

dwtbd 07-20-2016 08:54 PM

That's is an awesome turning point, use it as your finish line,too. Experiencing and internalizing that truth is the key to gaining your freedom from the addiction.
Grab hold of that and never let it go, you deserve it.
Congratulations!

ZenLifter 07-21-2016 10:04 PM

So how are you doing today?

noneever 07-22-2016 12:45 AM

Hi zen. I'm feeling pretty low today- can't stop thinking about all the ****** choices I've made, all the money and time I've wasted, due to alcohol.
But I'm not drinking which is a huge plus.

Dee74 07-22-2016 12:50 AM

welcome back noneever :)

D

noneever 07-22-2016 12:52 AM

Thanks Dee :)

Soberwolf 07-22-2016 01:32 AM

Hi NoneEver

noneever 07-22-2016 03:05 AM

Hi soberwolf :)

Am heading to bed soon, it's been a rough day. Here's to a better day tomorrow.

ZenLifter 07-22-2016 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by noneever (Post 6056141)
Hi zen. I'm feeling pretty low today- can't stop thinking about all the ****** choices I've made, all the money and time I've wasted, due to alcohol.
But I'm not drinking which is a huge plus.

We all wasted a lot of time and money on our addictions, but you're doing the right things now, so give yourself a break. Congratulations on another day sober :)

Endeavor 07-22-2016 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by noneever (Post 6054441)

Just because I have a thought about drinking, doesn't mean I have to act on it. I am in control of my actions and choices. I will have thoughts of drinking. Cravings will arise- these are not signs of failure and therefore a reason to drink, they're simply thoughts.

I don't have to act on them.

I love this. :herewego