Notices

Hello I'm new on this site

Old 09-29-2004, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I choose to live

Hello I'm new on this site

Hello people I'm new here..I'm 31 and have drinking problems since I was twelve..I'm from Belgium so maybe
sometimes I might write a fault (anyway you may always correct me)Since I was sixteen I drank till I blacked out and started to fight..Since I was 26 I go to AA meetings but I never managed to stay sober..The last time that I blacked out was the 17th of april this year and again I slept
in jail and fighted the cops Now the fact is that if I start one more fight they will put me away in jail for a long time..Last weeks again it looked I was forgetting about my problem again and I kicked out the door of our appartement
I was alone for all my life but live together now with my very sweet boyfriend but he doesn't realise my drinking problem is so big...He supports me to go to the AA meeting
but he doesn't realise that I can't drink one single glass..
He says I'm the sweetest woman in the world except when I'm drunk..Yes people this girl is a real wild child and I'm so glad that I found this side and in a way I was looking for a place where I can chat...But that seems to be imposiblle because all the chatboxes that I saw where empty...Greetings from Aries
Old 09-29-2004, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Aries

Firstly your English is very good. That is something to be very proud of. It's a start!

If you have been drinking to the point of blacking out, I'm certain that is not down to your love of alcohol. There are clearly other issues, especially if you recognised the use of alcohol since the age of 12.

There is always an answer, sometimes you just have to look very hard for it. Maybe AA doesn't work for you. (I have never been and don't expect I ever will).

Through what I now realise as a difficult childhood and a traumatic career in the British Army, I becam dependent upon alcohol.
With the love and care of my partner, I have sought one to one counselling. It works for me!! I am not there yet and I still endure a lot of hurt. I have however gained great inner strength. Please find out what works best for you and see it through.

Best regards.

Rich
Old 09-29-2004, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I choose to live

Thanks Rich for your reaction to my thread..Maybe you're right..They always use the word GOD and it disturbes me cause I don't believe..that's why I'm so glad I found this site :beerchug: :crazy:
Old 09-29-2004, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Hello Aries
Welcome to SR

You have been to AA meetings so I am sure you understand what is shared there. Maybe you need to think on things and use the steps daily. I know that works for many.
No problems till you drink so the solution would be... don't drink.
I have accepted that fact in my life. I am an alcoholic and that means if I want to remain sober, I can't drink. Not even one drink.
For me having one would have me want two. Having two and I just may end up in jail as well.
Dealing with life one day at a time, I can find the strength and will power to say no drinking. Daily I need to remember no drinking.
I didn't like my behavior when I was drinking and the only way to stop that behavior was... not drink.
AA meetings, a sponsor, the steps, the support you can get there... all are tools to help us get through, grow, and stay sober... One day at a time.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Aries,

Welcome to SR. I'm glad you've found us. My name is Anna, and I'm a recovering alcoholic. I find a lot of support and inspiration on this site and I hope you hang around and join us.

Love, Anna
Old 09-29-2004, 06:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Castaway

Welcome Aries,
Sorry you couldn't find a chat at this time. There are chats and meetings going on at the scheduled times. Hopefully you can access one soon.
I guess you can see that drinking makes you volatile. I'm glad you're trying to find help. It's not uncommon for others to think that we don't really have a problem with alcohol. They really don't understand that we can't even have one drink. You know that your boyfriend probably won't be able to really help you with recovery, even though he's a great guy. Do you think you might be able to find a support group in your area? Can you give AA another chance? Recovery is a process that takes effort and time, but it sure beats going to jail. I hope you find help soon. The disease progresses rapidly and it would be best to start working on it ASAP.
Glad you found us.
Sandy
Old 09-29-2004, 07:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Open Chat

I've tried loggin in to this and it says Peaches04 is active (or whatever) and I see my name to the rightl...but, I never see anyone else there? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!
Old 09-29-2004, 07:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Aries)))

Welcome to SR. I hope you can find the support and recovery you're looking for. You found a great group of people here. Good luck...my name is LeAnne and I'm an alcoholic. I come here often for advice and support. Sober Recovery has helped me tremendously I hope it will help you as well.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hello Aries--Welcome to SR! I hear your worries about AA and God. Thing is, AA does NOT require you to believe in "God". Instead, you only have to believe in a power greater than yourself. Many people in AA do call their higher power "God", but many others do not. AA has been a miracle and a life-saver in my experience. If you ever want to chat, send me a PM and I'll try to meet you in the chat room. In the meantime, hang in there. This is a wonderful place with lots of support from people who are going through the same things you are. Take care.

Peaches--You are not doing anything wrong. It's just that people don't really hang out in the chat rooms except at scheduled meeting times.

Hugs to both of you--
Old 09-29-2004, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bonjour mon ami, and welcome. Our group here is terrific and so supportive. Hope to read more of your post. My name is Diana, and I am a recovering alcoholic/addict.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chy

Bon Jour Tres magnifique ...oh dang, I've forgotten my french! Welcome!
Old 09-30-2004, 12:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I choose to live

Thank you people

Thank you people for all your nice reactions...
I will go to an AA meeting next wednsday like I did 2 weeks ago but in meantime things happened (like kickin' out my door)so I feel I'm losing control over it all..I found out that I can be on the chat meeting on wednsday and friday.. it will be 3 o clock in the afternoon here in Belgium
Oh yes and I don't speak french ..My language is dutch...We have a french speaking part and a dutch speaking part here in Belgium and I speak dutch
And thank you very much..This site has made me stronger already..this saturday friends will come over for dinner and surely they will bring a bottle of wine (ore two) but I think (no I'm almost sure) that I'll pass this time..Greetings from Aries :ilu all
Old 09-30-2004, 12:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Aries,
Ive just started my 8th day sober and getting to like it. I had my wedding anniversry on my second day, out for a meal etc, I was sure I was going to drink that night but I stuck to the water. a big help was remembering the guys on this site and their threads and stories, it helped make me stronger. I would try and make sure that you have something else available to drink that night pepsi or a bottle of mineral water, prepare to suceed!

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MaryF

Hi Aries,

Well done, it's not easy to realise that there's something you have no control over. I am sober 7 months and have been to a few AA meetings (there are none where I live) but I found teh support there that suited me and so that's what I know. Trying to think of your reasons to stay sober is a help, and if your pals are coming over, visualising what happens if you have a drink might help (well, that's what works for me)

Good Luck and Take Care of yourself..go easy
Old 09-30-2004, 02:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Welcome Aries,

I had problems with the "God" part of A.A. when I first started going to meetings too. It was one of the items on my long list of "why A.A. is not for me." So every time some person would say the word "God" at a table, I'd think to myself "Aha! See I told you, this is just a trap." But, as Lulu70 already said, A.A. does not require you to believe in "God" only in a higher power of your understanding. In fact, the third tradtion of A.A. is pretty specific:

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

You will meet all kinds of people in A.A. and they all have something to teach you if you listen with an open mind. What I came to realize is that I can take strength from the strong beliefs of others without having to believe as they do.

I wish you all the best in your journey to find peace and serenity and happiness. You CAN do it and all you have to do is want it more than anything else and try your absolute best to get it each and every day.

Jah Bless.