Notices

Most People Hardly Drink

Old 07-20-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Yeah I almost always had a couple before any social event. I blamed it on social anxiety - I needed a couple just to get relaxed enough to walk through the door. Partially true, but really, it was so I could be sure to get the buzz I was after even if there wasn't a lot of booze at the party, or in case it was an event where it would look bad if I went to the bar 6 times.
This was exactly me.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

uuuugggghhhhh so cringeworthy now -
Old 07-20-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I went to a dinner party with my department 2 weeks ago and this was my first one where I wasn't drinking and 3 out of the 6 people were not drinking. If I had not been sober I wouldn't have noticed.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
quat

Man, I'm glad I don't drink anymore.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The amounts I drank would put most who were around me in the hospital with alcohol poisoning. When planning for outings with a friend, at least 12 pack was needed- at bare minimum. Then more at home. If it was wine, there would have to be multiple bottles on hand if others were drinking to assure that I had my fill.
Recycling bin jammed full to overflowing. Crushing cans to save space. Drinking cans instead of bottles for that sole reason. Ugh.
Glad I'm not living that way anymore.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Depends where you live. In my experience in Australia almost everyone above the age of 18 drinks on a regular basis
Old 07-20-2016, 10:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ozm8ey View Post
Depends where you live. In my experience in Australia almost everyone above the age of 18 drinks on a regular basis
In England too.
When we were young, and the young ones now, go into town every weekend and drink until they can't stand every weekend.

No one bats an eyelid at young people 18-30 out every weekend drinking themselves stupid.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

that's true.

I've puked on a friend's carpet, never invited back, pulled over for a DUI, have been asked if I'm ok by concerned ppl probably taking pity on me, done things with ppl i'm embarrassed by later. I'd take tequila and chocolate milk to work in an aluminum bottle. lol. wtf?

I'd steal drinks while i was at work and chug them down. I never really thought "oh i could have a drinking problem." but..... i do love that feeling.
:/
Old 07-21-2016, 03:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Originally Posted by fripfrop View Post
In England too.
When we were young, and the young ones now, go into town every weekend and drink until they can't stand every weekend.

No one bats an eyelid at young people 18-30 out every weekend drinking themselves stupid.
I agree about the age of drinkers. Here in Canada, many of the youth will also be stumbling drunk on weekends and are viewed as "oh it's just part of being young", however, when that someone is say 40 plus and stumbling around at some social event then it's viewed as just pathetic.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yes, I agree with you on that.
Although in older peole nobody seems able to have a barbacue or a gathering anywhere these days without drink, the majority of people seem to be able to make a small bottle of beer last 2 hours and don't go mad on it.

Having said that, although I have been drinking probamitcally for 16-17 years, for 20 years before that, I did have an off switch too.
In fact at rock fesitvals, I wouldn't even have a half of lager during the day, because it would make me feel too ill and tired
Old 07-21-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ozm8ey View Post
I would have bet my bank balance on that too - but now I'm not a drinker I know it's not true ozm8ey.

I just never noticed non drinkers before or was never very likely to run into them - cos I was always about getting wasted.

D
Old 07-21-2016, 03:50 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Unfortunately, my group of people that I consistently hung with were those that drank the same way I did. Part of my protecting my drinking because they understood and there was no need for apologies the next day.

It made sobriety a bit harder because I had to find a new network of friends when I quit. Then, when I relapsed I reconnected with all of my drinking friends. Go figure.

So grateful that when I returned to my senses that those new friends I had met when I quit previously were relieved for me and happy. Friendships had not been lost. SR is my saving grace on a daily basis.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Originally Posted by fripfrop View Post
Yes, I agree with you on that.
Although in older peole nobody seems able to have a barbacue or a gathering anywhere these days without drink, the majority of people seem to be able to make a small bottle of beer last 2 hours and don't go mad on it.
Exactly. A better title for this thread would be "Most People Don't Drink to Excess".

I always drank to excess. I do not have an off button.

Last edited by Calicofish; 07-21-2016 at 03:55 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-21-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Unfortunately, my group of people that I consistently hung with were those that drank the same way I did. Part of my protecting my drinking because they understood and there was no need for apologies the next day.

It made sobriety a bit harder because I had to find a new network of friends when I quit. Then, when I relapsed I reconnected with all of my drinking friends. Go figure.

So grateful that when I returned to my senses that those new friends I had met when I quit previously were relieved for me and happy. Friendships had not been lost. SR is my saving grace on a daily basis.
Same here. Actually, the group of people I hung around were mostly people who drank more than me and still functioned well or meth heads living at home, which made me feel a little better about my situation. At AA an old-timer told me the best thing I could do was change my social group and that he should have when he was my age.

I changed my phone number recently and haven't been in contact with any of my old friends. I disconnected from them a while ago but not completely like this. We're still on fb but everything is at a distance now and I feel safer abt being able to control myself.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I just can't fathom why you would want to drink and not get wasted. One feels like a failure to me so I do somthing about it. No more for this guy. Are you saying that there are people who only have 1?
Old 07-21-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlissWithin View Post
I don't remember where I read that only 30% of people drink more than one drink a month, also the other interesting fact is that the 10% of alcoholics buy more than half of all the alcohol sold.
I've read something similar, too. Also - someone pointed out an interesting factoid in one of my meetings recently: a very high percentage (I cannot recall exactly, but something like 70-80%) of alcoholics (in the US) were part of the Greek system in college. For those of you across the pond, sororities and fraternities are a big part of college life in many schools here. As the social chair of my sorority (the party planner!!) this didn't surprise me; I wasn't a heavy drinker at all, compared to my peers who drank, but the bulk of that social scene consisted of VERY heavy (by medical definition if not just by their behavior) drinkers.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

We don't have sororities and fraternities here..thats what weekend all-out drunken binges in town at weekends are for ..total wastedness when you are in college or uni.
That and mid-week student nights in the pubs, cheap drinks (triple shots of spirits for the price of a single, lager half price), to bring in the young, on nights that are slow.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

People hardly drink? We have numerous liquor stores, one every 10 blocks in my town. Why so many stores if people hardly drink? There usually quite busy as well. Full of people who hardly ever drink.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I have noticed this as well since I quit. When I'd go to parties I'd get a good buzz and my husband would hurry me out the door before I got too far gone. He knew from experience what I could be capable of if allowed to go all out. Of course I would keep the party going at home. I have found ifor me t's much better to be an observer than a participant.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by couchloc View Post
People hardly drink? We have numerous liquor stores, one every 10 blocks in my town. Why so many stores if people hardly drink? There usually quite busy as well. Full of people who hardly ever drink.
Same here. Plus gas stations, grocery store, and drug stores that all sell beer, liquor, or both. And more bars than anything else....literally. There's no getting away from it.