Notices

When will these sugar cravings end

Old 07-18-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When will these sugar cravings end

The silver lining (I know there isn't one, but I'm just being honest) in this whole stupid affair with alcohol is that I lost a ton of weight. I weigh about 123 and I'm 5/5 (this is down from hovering around 140-150). I know I look better. But, I've been eating myself out of house and home and eating sugar like it's going out of style. And drinking Cokes! I haven't had any sugar until sobriety.

Which is better? Swimming or bike riding?

I need to start before the lbs start creeping back on.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Mine lasted for maybe six months to a year. Can't remember exactly. I slacked off on the ice-cream eventually, but I still eat it in smaller quantities, just not as often.

I think it's pretty common to crave sugar at first. So many of us do. It all seems to balance out in the end. I didn't gain weight at all. I think I probably slimmed down a bit overall and my weight remains constant now.

I think the best exercise is the one you will stick with. The one you feel most inclined to do consistently.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mine have just started to abate a little at almost 9 months. I gained back all the weight I first lost. :-( Maybe because I was eating a bowl of Ben and Jerry's every night, haha. Recently I discovered Enlighten bars (70-80 calories, 7 grams of protein, 5 gr sugar) and they're saving me from the ice cream. I actually ordered a box of freakin' candy bars when I was in rehab....and I never eat candy!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At my worst while drinking I got down to 180 lbs. On a 6'8 frame. Slowly back up to 240 where I'm normally at. Ice cream.... Was and is an issue.... Working on it! I'm hitting the three hear mark at the end of the year and it hasn't got any better. I never touched sweets before or while I was drinking. And swimming is a excellent cardio and total muscle workout.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Originally Posted by notgonnastoptry View Post
The silver lining (I know there isn't one, but I'm just being honest) in this whole stupid affair with alcohol is that I lost a ton of weight. I weigh about 123 and I'm 5/5 (this is down from hovering around 140-150). I know I look better. But, I've been eating myself out of house and home and eating sugar like it's going out of style. And drinking Cokes! I haven't had any sugar until sobriety.

You've lost substantial weight in sobriety. I gained 30 pounds the first month (now that's eating yourself out of house an home!) Best advice I can give is to buy a boatload of fruit. A few Asian pears are much healthier and filling than a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

As for which exercise is better for burning calories, it's the one you're more inclined to stick with. GL.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

never has for me -- sugar and salt

I do an hour of hard cardio (stationary bike with a kick ass sound system in my garage!) everyday ....

i eat a healthy diet and also any (not all) the junkfood i want

Old 07-19-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mine lasted about 3 mos. While I had them it was intense. I was never that into sweets, but suddenly I couldn't get enough. Lollipops, candy bars, anything with frosting....it finally settled down, but I still crave ice cream.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

start juicing veggies and green smoothies mainly green leafy plants and a little fruit.
I bike ride twice a day but swimming is great exercise.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm just over 100 days and I finally felt strong enough to cut out the processed sugar. Did well for 3 days, although today craving ice cream. I decided to do this to ramp back up my weight loss (I lost 20 lbs in 3 months without trying, but progress was starting to stall) and to also see if I could get more steady, stable energy. . I don't get enough sleep because of crazy schedule, and have been using sugar and caffeine to give me energy boosts. So trying very limited sugar for couple of weeks and if that sticks, going to try to cut back caffeine (although no way totally giving that up!).
Best of luck. I'm thrilled to be feeling good enough to even try this
Old 07-19-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am almost 2 years and still have them. I lost about 15 pounds when I quit drinking and am now considered underweight, although I actually eat more. But other than giving in sometimes (a little more than sometimes) to the sugar cravings, I eat pretty healthy otherwise. I never craved sugar before, but it's a small price to pay to be sober. It's strange, though, a good dessert almost makes me giddy!
Old 07-19-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have 1 year 3 mo and get pretty intense sugar cravings. Your not alone.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I didn't care about sweets either but I sure crave them now (at four months). I think sugar is addictive for many, many people - not just recovering alcoholics We are just used to getting our sugar fix through alcohol.

Now I understand the normie struggle with food.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had them bad for probably the first 9 months as well, they are better now but I still crave it. I switched to Popsicles actually and depending on how you feel about sweeteners, I don't mind the sugar free Popsicles....... Saved a ton on the calories and makes you feel a little like a kid again. Btw...... I still have my ice cream or strawberry shortcake on Sunday nights! Win, win in my book!!!
Old 07-19-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ugh I used to feel superior to people chomping on junk food while holding my glass of wine. I was so, so very very wrong.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My sugar cravings were visceral and I would describe them as "whole body cravings." I had an astounding need for sugar in early sobriety. I would scrounge around for change and buy three to four "king size" candy bars and eat them quickly. I was totally fine with this. I indulged myself like there was no tomorrow.

I just naturally and slowly stopped doing this, without really thinking about it, around 3-6 months of sobriety.

I truly believe that my indulgence in candy was one of most important tools to getting sober.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notgonnastoptry View Post

You did have sugar, though....in the alcohol instead.

For the first few weeks I ate SO much. I craved both sweets and big plates of pasta and garlic bread, of all things. I could eat like there was no tomorrow.

At 10 weeks out, I still crave ice cream (the summer heat isn't helping that either!) and I will allow myself some usually, but not to excess. The wanting to pig out has subsided and my appetite is closer to normal than it was for a long time. I have lost a few pounds, but I can see changes more in my SHAPE than in the numbers...I'm a bit trimmer around the waist, love handles, etc. I'm getting back to hitting the gym so I'm hoping that continues to improve, but the intake should definitely calm down for you.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I very very very rarely will have a sugar craving. I hope I don't start. I have fat and protein cravings. I'll take a double cheeseburger over a cake any day of the week.