Notices

Hi Everyone!

Old 07-18-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Box

Hi Everyone!

So yes, I've been reading threads on here all day after spending about the last week getting blackout drunk. I think enough is enough and I'm ready to start making some changes with myself and my life.

So...there I am. Hi.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Box

D
Old 07-18-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to one of the best decisions you'll ever make
Old 07-18-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome Box. You'll find tons of support and experience here to help you. Glad you're here.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so glad to meet you, Box. Congratulations for making this huge decision. You can reclaim your life - there's no doubt.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Box!

Nice to meet you.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I'm glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Box

Thanks everyone. It just sucks, having been down this path before, I'm an expert now on withdrawing and know the next few nights are going to be rough.

But, its for the best, I know.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello fellow Texan
Old 07-19-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Box

Well, day two has come and gone. I've been here before, though, and I'm working on taking a more positive view on life and my ability to no longer drink again. So far I've done pretty well putting cravings to bed so I'm optimistic to see what tomorrow has to hold.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Here and now

Originally Posted by Box View Post
So yes, I've been reading threads on here all day after spending about the last week getting blackout drunk. I think enough is enough and I'm ready to start making some changes with myself and my life.

So...there I am. Hi.
Welcome Box!

I, like you am just wrapping up day two. I have been having a very tough time with anxiety, and unlike you say I am no expert so it's scared the **** out of me. Saw a doctor about an hour ago who assured me I am fine and don't need medical intervention. This agony is all the motivation I need to quit, 25 seems a good age as any after the years of abuse.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome box! Glad to have you here!
Old 07-19-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Box

Originally Posted by Ekohe View Post
Welcome Box!

I, like you am just wrapping up day two. I have been having a very tough time with anxiety, and unlike you say I am no expert so it's scared the **** out of me. Saw a doctor about an hour ago who assured me I am fine and don't need medical intervention. This agony is all the motivation I need to quit, 25 seems a good age as any after the years of abuse.
Thanks! Like others have said, it gets better. I've gone as long as six months before I reverted to old habits and I felt like a new person.

25 isn't bad, I'm 30 so you're beating me to it. Thanks for the reply and wishing you the best!
Old 07-19-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Box

Thanks for all the replies from everyone. I'm not too into AA but still wanted to meet a community of like minded folks that shared similar experiences and the goal of sobriety.

Y'all rock. Thanks for the support.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Box
Old 07-20-2016, 12:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Box, welcome
Old 07-20-2016, 01:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Welcome.

Quitting boozing is the best decision one will ever make.

Get clean.

AA is not for everyone, but it is a place to interact f2f w other addicts.

Virtual interactions are great. They provide 24.7 support from a team of like minded folks.

F2f helped me see and hear, in lving color, folks dealing w this monster chronic addiction we all have developed. F2f makes the addiction that much more real. Seeing and hearing, first hand, the aftermath of years of boozing is helpful.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Box

Yes, I am back. No, my attempt at not drinking anymore by myself did not work. I bounced back and forth between benders and sobriety, basically drinking until I couldn't physically do it anymore, then spending that week or so detoxing myself...I'd be sober for a few days and then right back at it.

I think I finally had my wakeup call on Friday- I was in a car accident. I got lucky...nobody got hurt. The other driver was high and at fault and the police officers were focused on him. But I was absolutely, like drinking all day lit and for once in my life, truly terrified. I seriously debated fleeing the scene, as this would have been DUI #2 for me. Had to sneak the fifth of vodka back in my backpack before the police looked in my car.

I'm tired of this. Living this way. I know....know that right now, I'm here, posting again, because I haven't eaten in two days and have the shakes / headaches / pain of drinking myself to death. I'll do good for a few days and then I always forget why I quit drinking to begin with. Writing doesn't help, I always get to that point where "it's okay, you'll be good!" and I fall back into old habits with alarming rapidity. This time, it took me three days to go from having a drink in the evening to opening up the bottle first thing in the morning.

I see how others have stopped but why the hell is that road so hard to travel down?
Old 09-04-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think the road is harder because you can read all the signs sober. (Danger) (one way) (dead end).

When I drinking I couldn't read the signs!! And ironically they where telling me exactly where I was headed!

As people on here will tell you and I'm sure you've seen if you e been reading around, "you have to want to stop more than you want to drink" sounds simple I know.... But I was blowing through that sign too (stop)

Good thing is.... The road gets easier the longer you're on it and stay able to read those signs!

Wishing you the very best tonight on your journey.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Box

Originally Posted by REsoberALITY View Post
As people on here will tell you and I'm sure you've seen if you e been reading around, "you have to want to stop more than you want to drink" sounds simple I know.... But I was blowing through that sign too (stop)
That's where I am at. Right now, it's easy to be sober...I'm feeling the pain of what happens when you poison your body for a week on end. Tonight will be a nightmare, tomorrow will be a nightmare, in about a week I'll start to feel all right....and then it is back to drinking.

I'm willing to explore AA this time...that's a first for me...I just physically can't tonight because I'm on a motorcycle now and don't trust myself to drive.