Notices

very hard not to drink right now.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

very hard not to drink right now.

well i broke my ankle and not from being drunk i stepped in a hole my son dug up . now no work and no pay no idea what to do trying to apply for short term disability of course the doctors wont fill it out right away have to wait on them now . plus it still takes 2 weeks to go through no idea what is going to happen . just want to drink and forget for that small of time i know it dosent make anything better no idea what to do....life just brings you down when your already down i guess sucks .
Old 07-18-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Doesn't sound like you have the money to waste on alcohol right now...right?
Old 07-18-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I have arthritis in my ankle from a really bad fall that I didn't get checked out for just let it heal on its own dumb idea that was I was drinking bk then I did do some physiotherapy to try & correct it but it still plays up sometimes

Think about getting some physiotherapy when you can move your ankle again I'm sorry about the work situation

We're all here with you bud
Old 07-18-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i dont but at the moment its all i can think about .
Old 07-18-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Posting here instead of picking up a drink is a great thing though. If you're tempted, just "play the tape through." Like a movie in your head....you take a drink, what happens next? How does it end? Remember the last time, the hangover, feeling irritable, remorseful, not wanting to deal with anything...

Well, at least that's how it was for me. I do hope that your disability comes through quickly and that you heal up fast
Old 07-18-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ok, so you already know that alcohol isn't the answer to the problem. A friend of mine posted that she was really down. Going through a difficult time and didn't know why. Someone responded with this, which really resonated with me:

"I call someone and ask how they're doing. And remember everything has a beginning, a middle and an end. It's easy to forget when you're in the middle."

Just stay the course. Get out of yourself. Call someone and ask how they are doing. My mother was down because she's having a hard time walking and then I saw a guy walk by me on crutches, only having one leg. It's perspective.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by foryoumyson View Post
...now no work and no pay no idea what to do. . .
Work on your recovery.

It's very easy to blame life for the cards we are dealt and when the hand is a bust, easy for the alcoholic to run to our easiest coping mechanism--alcohol.

You are barely a week sober. You'd be struggling no matter what. Don't find reasons to drink. Find within yourself reasons to stay sober.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by foryoumyson View Post
i dont but at the moment its all i can think about .
Try and think about something else - like how much worse you'll feel if you drink. Go back and read some of your old posts and remind yourself how horrible it will feel if you did make that choice today.

If you are not very mobile because of your ankle, you could spend some time reading and writing here - it would take your mind of things perhaps and you may learn some new coping techniques.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have found that when I say "I don't know what to do" that in reality I do know what to do, I just don't want to do it or I want an easier answer to come along.

Life can really kick you when your down sometimes, but I think you know that drinking will only make things a million times worse. Maybe you should reach out to some of your sober friends or family members and let them know you need some emotional support right now? Do you go to meetings? That could be another source of really good support and might help you keep perspective. It gets really easy to just say things are terrible and throw in the towel, it doesn't have to be that way though! Make a list of everything you can control and that you can do to move forward and then stick to that instead of thinking about drinking or what you can't do.

Keep your head up! Things will get better as long as you don't give up on yourself.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Your username is "foryoumyson." It sounds like your son was one of your motivations to quit. Is he around? How about hanging out with him? Watch some TV, play a board game, whatever. It always helps me to do something to remind myself of why I quit, when those thoughts of despair creep in.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One thing about it -- when you wake up the next day with a hangover and a little less money in your wallet, your ankle is still broken and you're still faced with the issue of no work/no pay for now.

Why not bypass the drunk and the hangover, and go straight to working on the immediate problem at hand.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

LIFE didn't DO this to YOU......it was an accident. while i'm sure a broken ankle is no fun, it is not catastrophic. as long as we look at the world as a bad place out to get us, we will always feel victimized and therefore ENTITLED to drink.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think ya might want to write out a gratitude list to help get ya out of the self pity and through this.
you have an ankle to break when some don't have legs.
you did it sober!
it was only 1 ankle!! how fun would it be iffen it was both!
your son is healthy enough to dig a hole when theres parents out there sitting in cancer centers watching their children fight for their lives.

keep adding.

I broke my ankle on the job years ago while still in active alcoholism. drinking didn't help.

I think what yer having is a problem with coping skills. alcohol was how you THOUGHT you coped with life on lifes terms. but if ya look back, it didn't work. so,al ya have to do is learn new skills.
it reads like one of them skills youre going to be learning is patience.

I had no problem callin the doctors and telling them to get their arse in gear on the paperwork when I broke my ankle. I was allowed to stand up for me and watch out for me.

ok, so heres a funny with a broken ankle9 I did some tendon damage,too):
in a cam walker for 3 months, then PT for 4 weeks before going back to work. I actually made it through that 4 months without falling and hurting myself!
so, after my 1st day back to work I came home and took a shower.
and fell out of the bathtub! took out a towel rack in the bathtub/shower and the shower curtain brackets ripped out of the wall,too. I wasn't even drunk!
layin on the floor with a shower curtain,rod, and towel rack layin on me all I could do is laugh.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

So, what can you do while you're off work with a broken ankle? Why not come up with a list of things you can do during this off-work period? Can you spend more time with your son? How about catching up on some reading? Maybe there are some things you can manage to do around the house that have been waiting for you to have time?
Old 07-18-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drinking won't do anything but waste your limited money and make you feel crappy tomorrow. Spend the time with your son. Come up with reasons to stay sober, not reasons to drink.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sounds like a pretty rough time. Sometimes, it's ok just to feel like life sucks. Still, it's important not to go too far into those feelings, lest we risk drinking.

I agree with making a list of what you can do to feel better and be productive with the time you have. I often find doing just that and then starting on my list makes me feel in control of the situation and like I'm doing something positive for my recovery.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
I have arthritis in my ankle from a really bad fall that I didn't get checked out for just let it heal on its own dumb idea that was I was drinking bk then I did do some physiotherapy to try & correct it but it still plays up sometimes

Think about getting some physiotherapy when you can move your ankle again I'm sorry about the work situation

We're all here with you bud
Just goto a chiropractor, a nice crackling pop will fix it
Old 07-18-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of good advice here FYMS.

D
  # 19 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Comiserations FYMS - i hope your ankle heals asap. I don't know what work you do but maybe it won't be too long before you can at least walk on it
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by OfEpiphany View Post
Just goto a chiropractor, a nice crackling pop will fix it
No offense but if anyone has arthritis I'd advise them to see an MD first.

D