SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Back again (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/394675-back-again.html)

Oswin 07-18-2016 05:32 AM

Back again

Ok back again. With a killer hangover deciding enoughs enough. Managed 3 months no drinking last year then decided in my infinite wisdom I could moderate! Yeah that worked out well. So trying again from today, to many lost days, blackouts and wasted calories to carry on living like this

doggonecarl 07-18-2016 05:59 AM

You can't drink. Ever again.

Can you accept that? Truly accept that you are done so that in three months when the idea to drink returns you can reject it?

Accept you can't drink and put a plan in place to support the commitment to quit.

Anna 07-18-2016 06:04 AM

Welcome back!

It might be a good idea to have a plan in place that will help to support your recovery. I'm glad you made it back.

Hawkeye13 07-18-2016 06:16 AM

Glad you're back.
I thought I could moderate too, but I couldn't.
It's actually easier and more peaceful now that I know it isn't possible for me
to ever drink again.
Now I'm getting on with life and enjoying the peace and freedom from booze.

ZenLifter 07-18-2016 06:59 AM

Welcome back Oswin. I did exactly the same thing as you last year: quit for 90 days and then resumed, moderately at first, but soon I was bingeing again on and off, and in February of this year was drinking round the clock. Now I am sober 5 months and have no intention of ever going back to that misery. I had to surrender and accept that I cannot moderate my drinking, for me that's a fact....like gravity.

Soberwolf 07-18-2016 07:25 AM

Good to see you

soberclover 07-18-2016 01:31 PM

That whole moderation thing didn't work out for me either; I'm glad you're back!

matilda123 07-18-2016 01:40 PM

Welcome back! I'm recently back too (3 days now), after 8 months away. I thought I could moderate too. I could--until I couldn't. Frightening how fast that happened.

I am reminded of something I read early in my recovery (maybe in Drunking: a Love Story)? While you can turn a cucumber into a pickle, you can't turn a pickle back into a cucumber. For better or worse, when it comes to alcohol, I am now a pickle. The sooner I truly embrace that fact, the sooner I'll be on the road to recovery.

Apologies for typos; typing on a phone isn't my forte.

Dee74 07-18-2016 03:02 PM

Welcome back Oswin - whats the plan moving forward?

D

Determined1977 07-18-2016 03:49 PM

Welcome back :).. I think most of us have unsuccessfully tried moderation. For myself after a few days of not drinking, I would buy 1 bottle of wine and tell myself just one glass a night. Needless to say, never went to slip with a sip left over. I'm glad you came back and hopefully you will try a new recovery plan...

Oswin 07-18-2016 11:27 PM

Thanks everyone. I know this site will help me loads. I haven't got a plan as such in place. I need to get one. I am keeping a journal and I took up running 9 months ago and although I have made progress drinking has really hindered me. So I'm hoping to concentrate on that and run a half marathon next year.