Notices

During Moments of discouragement

Old 07-18-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

During Moments of discouragement

When I go to AA meetings I always take something from them. I listen to the message others are sending as they share their experiences and views on how to stay sober. The meetings I've went to over the weekend were exactly what I needed. I know AA is a spiratual group and a connection with a higher power whatever it may be is part of it. I have surrendered in many ways when dealing with my addiction to alcohol. I've dealt with depression and anxiety for years. Drinking never helped me during those times as it made it angony during my benders.

I'm on my 73rd day of sobriety. I don't and didn't expect life to just all of a sudden be sunshine and rainbows. During my moments of feeling down I say the serenity prayer. I feel a release after I've done so. Lately I've been noticing as well as my family that changes are showing. I'm not as angry as I used to be. I'm not as moody as I used to be. I don't find myself losing patience about the little things in life. I've been picking myself up when I get knocked down. I always hear God doesn't give us more than we can handle...honestly something I don't like hearing because when you're in the midst of situations you feel as if its the worst thing ever. I get it though. We live life on life's terms. The mess I've made during drinking and my current cleanup on isle 6 that is still taking place will forever be with me on my journey.

I really do hope that once my messes are cleaned up and the trust is reastablished with my family that I can share my story with others and it help them. AA is about paying it foward and by helping others I'm also helping myself.

I know AA isn't for everyone but at this very moment the program has been keeping me sober.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job on 73 days!
Every time I attend a meeting, I feel as though the topic or what others are saying is about me! I always leave feeling good.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice job on day 73
Old 07-18-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

It seems like I always hear exactly what I need to hear at that moment when I go to a meeting. I was a bit resistant to AA when I started. But I was at a point where I knew I had to do whatever it took. I went to outpatient treatment and went to AA a lot at the beginning. It's still a huge part of my recovery. I spoke for 45 minutes at my AA club Saturday night - told my whole messy story. It was one of the hardest and best things I've ever done. I recommend it to anyone who is active in AA.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Congratulations on Day 73. Fantastic.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by getright15 View Post
We live life on life's terms. The mess I've made during drinking and my current cleanup on isle 6 that is still taking place will forever be with me on my journey.

I really do hope that once my messes are cleaned up and the trust is reastablished with my family that I can share my story with others and it help them. AA is about paying it foward and by helping others I'm also helping myself.
Congrats on 73 days, getright!!

I love your wording, as I clean up my own messes I will be thinking "cleanup on isle 6", LOL!

I think that by sharing your story as it plays out for you is paying it forward. I really enjoy your honesty in your posts.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 73 days getright. As you say life doesn't magically become perfect but it is easier to handle life's curve balls when sober/not hungover/ not paranoid
Old 07-18-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

congrats on 73 days, the first year can be tough so stay close to recovery. Continue to educate yourself on addiction and the recovery from addiction stick to your AA meetings and SR forum you are on the right path.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 73 days.

From the sounds of your post, it sounds like you are doing it "one day at a time" which is what I do. Everyday is a fresh start, and I try to go to bed at night sober. The days start to add up.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

getright, sharing your ESH has helped me today. ya reminded me the program still works for people today just as good as it did when I got sober and just as it did 70 years ago.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Right on.

Glad you're getting some times when your emotions and situation aren't overwhelming you.

It's been my experience that as we stay clean and stay involved with recovery, there are still times when our emotions or our internal reactions to life become difficult to handle.

The good news is, it's also my experience that the frequency, the intensity, and the duration of those times all diminish over time.

It's easy to find ourselves in one of those moments and think that recovery isn't working or that there's something wrong with us - (well, there is something wrong with us, but not that...) Then we can take a moment to get some perspective and realize that we are getting better, and it's ok to be human.

Keep at it. Glad you're giving yourself a shot.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for all of the support!