Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

The irony (being wide awake and living) of not being drunk all day

Notices

Old 07-17-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Years ago, before I starting hitting the bottle hard, I'd get up and plan lots of fun activities for my children. I'd find things free or cheap things to do in the city, we'd go on day trips, to the beach, etc. Other times, we'd put down the cash and go to carnivals, amusement parks, etc. The last time I was moderately sober (drinking hard only at night, but never day drinking), we had a season pass to the amusement park in town. I have so many fond memories of us just getting up, piling into the car and spending the day there.

FF three years later. I've done a lot of damage to the family. They don't even want to be around me. Now I'm back to looking at things to do every day. There's been festival after festival. Two ironies:

The kids are older and uninterested in parts of the festival

When I think festival, I think I should be getting a drink or two and walk around, enjoying the buzz (I hope this doesn't trigger anyone) and enjoying my kids.

For many years, I woke up with big plans, but the vodka numbed me and before long, I couldn't be bothered with anything.

As it is, I am very aesthetically inclined and have been complimented on my choices of decor over the years. My Meyer-Briggs always says I should have been an interior decorator. We moved in over a year ago and I've not really organized this house, nor made it look good (despite having nice furniture). It was "more fun" to sit on the couch, review FB again and again. and avoid the big projects. Those projects have taken a couple days, but my living space feels so much different.

Just sort of venting and reflecting.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi notgonnastoptry

I remember when I got sober I wanted to fix everything instantly and live a rich full life from every second onwards...but it didn't work out like that. I realised I had a lot of damaged relationships, and I also realised that I was damaged too.

I had to settle for 'steady as she goes' rather than 'full steam ahead' but I think that was actually better in a way?

My alcoholic way was all or nothing - I was the bull who wrecked a lot of china shops...

Be kind and gentle to yourself - stay sober and find your passion again, let yourself heal...

and more often than not, you'll find things fall into place behind that, eventually

D