Notices

Inexplicable sadness

Old 07-16-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I also have dealt with the out of the blue blues. At 8 month sober, I am going where I have not gone before, except when I was pregnant. But that doesn't count as I was not as deep into the addiction and my hormones were a mess anyway. What I'm saying is, this is a new experience for me and I'm learning along the way.
I've been keeping a journal (I HIGHLY recommend that). I am noticing a pattern. Every couple months, I have 3-4 days of messed up emotions. Early on, it was rage. The next episode was body crushing sadness. This last time took me a bit by surprise. It came just 6 weeks after the last episode and was like mild PMS. Weepy at sappy commercial or a sweet story. Fourth day was pretty down and I thought, Uh-oh, here we go for another nasty round and then the next day it was gone and hasn't returned. If that was PAWS, then, yeah, it's getting a whole lot better.
We just need to give our brains time to heal after all the damage that we did.
I hear it could take 2 years or so. I've even read that it never goes away completely. I'd like to hear from those with years of sobriety. Does it ever go completely away?
Old 07-16-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
waking down

ZenLifter, I want to re-post this link because it really is relevant, plus, you have Zen in your name, so I think you'll be open to it. All three pages are worth reading and lead logically to the last few paragraphs. Take some time to read and think it through. I had to read the last paragraph a few times. You are on the path to fearlessness whether you know it or not: http://shambhala-europe.org/images/F...20Rinpoche.pdf
Old 07-16-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Want to say thanks to all of you for the kind words, support, and helpful advice, truly

Am feeling a bit better today, though still a bit weepy. I vented a bit to my roommate about stuff. She is a non drinker and has been really supportive of me through all of this, so that helped.

Madgirl, yes I had already suspected some of this could be related to hypoglycemia. I've done some reading about that. Normally my diet is pretty clean, but lately I've been eating too much crap. So I went shopping this morning and bought only healthy food ( fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats, nuts, etc.). Also going to stop the intermittent fasting thing I was doing (don't need to lose anymore weight anyway) which involved me skipping breakfast most of the time, and see if that helps.

I do have underlying issues with anxiety/depression also, have for years. Not sure if those came before the drinking or not. Doesn't really matter at this point. I'd like to avoid taking any meds if possible.

I'll let you all know how it goes
Old 07-16-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

That's normal. It takes a long time (and work) to get to a more normal emotional life.

Not only that, but even "normal" people experience periods of sadness, etc.

Keep at it.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Glad you feel better. It is strange how emotions seem to pop up out of nowhere. I had the same damn thing hit me yesterday late afternoon. Weird.

But aren't you glad you didn't drink over it? It wouldn't have "fixed" it, right?