Notices

Finally Back: Life Update

Old 07-15-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally Back: Life Update

Hey everyone!

I haven't been on here in what feels like FOREVER. A lot has been going on lately. My mom got diagnosed with breast cancer and the last couple weeks have consisted of me flying home to help her, nonstop doctor's appointments, sitting in hospitals all day, and basically trying to do anything and everything that I can for her. I do all the cooking, cleaning, phone calls to update people on how she is feeling, dealing with insurance, managing her medications, etc. Prayers are very much appreciated from anyone that is willing to add her to your prayer list.

Through everything that has been going on, every day I am more and more grateful that I am sober and have a solid support system and a strong recovery plan. It is crazy how different everything was last time this year. It is amazing how much things can change when you are finally willing to make the changes that are necessary in order to get sober and create a strong lasting recovery.

Normally I live in North Carolina and my mom is in New Jersey. My doctor that specializes in addiction, my psychiatrist, and substance abuse counselor are all in North Carolina and because of that I am going to fly back to North Carolina once a month to do all my doctors and appointments then fly right back to be here for my mom. I am so grateful that my mom is in a position to fly me back and forth. I love my team of doctors, and truly trust them. My doctor has found the perfect combination of medications for my bipolar type 2 disorder and with everything going on I don't want to switch doctors since I am pretty positive a couple medicine tweeks will be needed in the next couple months to year. The right doctors, care, and medications are SO IMPORTANT to a strong recovery and being healthy mentally as well as physically.

I just wanted to say hi and update everyone since usually I am on here everyday. I am finally falling into my new routine and will be on here more. Sober recovery has always been a huge resource and support system for me, and I am so happy to be back!

HUGS

Adeline Rose
Old 07-15-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome back. And do stick around.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you can be there sober for your mom. I am sending up prayers for you both.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
under new management

(((Adeline Rose )))

You sound so positive despite your challenges

Glad you posted your update!

You and your mom are in my prayers
Old 07-15-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am sure that your mother appreciates all the help you are offering. I'm glad you're taking care of yourself, too.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about your mom, I will absolutely add her to my prayer list. It is wonderful that you are able to be with her.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about your mother and inspired by your strength in staying sober during such challenging times. I wish you and your mother all the best.

KP
Old 07-16-2016, 03:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 07-16-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you AR. Sorry to hear about your Mom.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words and all of your prayers! My mom is very religious and the stronger my recovery gets the more and more I am reconnecting with God. I am so grateful for all of you that have us in your thoughts and prayers, I NEVER estimate the power of prayer.

Also, thank you all for saying how strong I am being. I always thought it something big happened I would NEVER be able to get through it sober, but when my mom found out she was sick drugs NEVER popped into my mind. Knowing she needed me fueled me to step up and do everything and anything that I could possibly do. Am I tired, overwhelmed, and stressed at times? Yes. But I am a million more times grateful that I am sober and able to be the daughter my mom deserves. She has ALWAYS been there for me (even through all my horrible drug addict moods and problems), and I am now able to ALWAYS be there for her.

So happy to be back Such a great support system here, I love it! I appreciate you guys so so SOOOO much!
Old 07-16-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your Mom is fortunate to have you. It is nice to be sober when facing these very difficult stresses. I'm with you - I thought they'd send me running for a bottle, too. But, quite the opposite happens - you (well, I do) appreciate not being hung over and sick and all that goes with that and are glad to be sober.