Notices

Sailor Jerry and his lost gold

Old 07-15-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sailor Jerry and his lost gold

I’ve been away from SR for several months and have to admit I’ve been having a great time with my friend Sailor Jerry (spiced rum -92 proof). I have to say it’s been a great time. It’s a lot easier drinking without the guilt and accountability of all the busy bodies on this forum.

It’s been fun staying up until 3pm every night, then trying to function at work the next day. Some of those late night eating parties included eating whole pizzas, countless hot dogs, and greasy Chinese food. Of course who could enjoy these without adding hot sauce. No, I’m not talking about your common hot sauce. I’m talking about the sauces with the XXX labeling and pictures of the devil and fire on the bottle. These usually come with the promise of giving you brain damage, kicking your ass, or cleaning out your colon. Sounds like a challenge to me. Nothing strengthens my culinary confidence than being completely drowning in rum.

In addition to my late night gastronomical adventures, Sailor Jerry really afforded me the opportunity to enjoy the movies of one of my favorite actors. This led to my monthlong Nic Cage movie marathon. It started off with ConAir and ended with Season of the Witch. I’m pretty sure these were all Academy Award winning movies, but it’s hard to tell when you end up passing out half way through. At least they all started off pretty well. Perhaps this is what rock bottom looks like. However, I will say Bad Lieutenant Port of Call New Orleans was great. How do I know this? Because I watched it every night for 6 straight nights passing out at various times. I eventually got sober long enough to watch it all the way through. Yep, good movie.

As if I wasn’t having enough fun my paranoid sidekick decided to join the party. When your short term memory is completely gone, what better time to take your gold coins worth $15k USD and put them in a nice, safe place. One night they were logically placed in the safe. The next night I determined it didn’t make sense since the safe couldn’t be bolted to the floor. So, I moved them to another location. The next night I had a better spot in mind, and so on, and so on. I’m sure you can guess where this ends. Yes, I completely forgot where I hid the coins. After weeks of self-loathing, I miraculously found them in the attic stuffed under an air duct. I’m not sure how I managed to get up there on the ladder then crawl across the beams without falling through the ceiling. Just lucky I guess.

Well, the party is now over, and I’m back on SR and going on 5 days. It has been a fun time while being away, but I think I’ll go back to my boring sober life. Hope everyone has a great weekend. I know I will.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back.

Your post was well written. Stick around these parts.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Frank.

Congratulations on 5 days!
Old 07-15-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back frank. glad you found your lost gold. 5 days is a great start, how can we help?
Old 07-15-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

That's a helluva time, Frank, but I think it's time to leave Sailor Jerry behind permanently this time, don't you?

Stick with us this time around, work your plan and stay sober. Congratulations on five days.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Frank. I remember you from back when. That cute little black kitty reminds me of mine.

After initially being put off by what you wrote about teh drinking and no accountability, I'm glad I stuck it out and finished what you wrote. Perfectly describes my nights of drinking my life away. I saved money on books. It's a new one every time I pick up the same title because I'd pass out while reading and have to read it over again. Every Dr. Who episode was new territory because I'd pass out in the middle and my memory up until I passed out was always a little foggy.

Welcome back and congratulations on 5 days. How about substituting Cap'n Crunch for Sailor Jerry? It's safer that way.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to see you again, Frank. What a ride - glad you made it back.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Frank
Old 07-15-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you made it back, some don't.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Frank,your post struck a cord with me cuz I got a $34,000 settlement in 2012,I kept it in a safe in my closet,oh no someone might find it,so I stashed part of it,spent the rest,problem is I still don't know where I stashed it or if I remembered where I hid it when drunk and spent all of it,I've torn apart the whole bedroom looking but when drunk we're pretty crafty when it comes to hiding stuff,I once found $150 bux in a multivitamin bottle and $100 under a toilet lid cover,sheesh
Old 07-15-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back Frank!
Old 07-15-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I guess the AV turned up like expected Frank

Glad to see you back--
Old 07-15-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Welcome back.

I wouldn't be so cavalier about it. What you described is a walk in the park compared to where this is all headed if you continue to get loaded. - Every "rock bottom" has a trap door in it, and the successive levels become progressively horrific.

Are you willing to do whatever it takes to stay clean and sober?
Old 07-15-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow, some people have all the fun.....NOT ! Hoping both your gastronomical adventures and AV, settle down.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you are back, Frank. Well written blow by blow of the crazy we get into while drunk. I'll take my boring, sober, stable happy life over that any day.

Psst: the bank has these cool things, called safe deposit boxes... It's like a post office box. But it's in a vault.