Notices

Why do I keep doing this to myself??

Old 07-15-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You guys are amazing. I'm so glad I found this website. It will be so much easier with people who can relate. My family, my friends and most of all my boyfriend can't relate. I know it makes him so angry when I come home with my 12 pack ever single day. He used to tell me how much it bothers him. Now he just doesn't say anything at all. I think he has given up on me. I'm afraid one day he will leave because of this.
Thank you all so much for your encouragement. Today is my DAY 1.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
That's how I drank when I was 37, too.

When I was 47 I would drink 7-12 beers and 375-750 ml of whiskey. I would wake up on the couch still drunk and sneak a beer before my wife woke up. Sometimes on my way to work I'd stop for breakfast and a bloody Mary. Or two. I might pick up a drink or 2 at lunch time to keep the edge off. Then after work I'd grab some more beer and another fifth.

I REALLY wanted to stop when I was 37, but I didn't. I hope you can learn from my mistakes.

Welcome to SR.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Wow, that is quite an illustration. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blink926 View Post
You guys are amazing. I'm so glad I found this website. It will be so much easier with people who can relate. My family, my friends and most of all my boyfriend can't relate. I know it makes him so angry when I come home with my 12 pack ever single day. He used to tell me how much it bothers him. Now he just doesn't say anything at all. I think he has given up on me. I'm afraid one day he will leave because of this.
Thank you all so much for your encouragement. Today is my DAY 1.
Sounds like you have been given the gift of a chance to fix this with your bf before it's irreparably broken. Take advantage with Day 1 & beyond.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I wish I had a nickel for every time I woke up promising myself I would not drink that day....and drank. All I can say is that there is nothing magical about it, you just have to take the leap, and it is hard. But it is also very worth it. You can do it, rooting for ya man.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, blink926. I know your story could be mine, and I suspect it's similar to almost everyone else's here.

I'm on day 125 sober. As someone else said earlier, acceptance has been the key for me so far. Always remembering that it's the first drink that gets me drunk. If I don't take that first drink, I don't have to worry about the second or third or sixth one that would almost inevitably follow.

Getting out of my own head has also been an important part of my recovery so far. Get involved in one of the class threads here on SR, join a recovery group like AA or Smart, do some volunteer work somewhere, pick up a new hobby that you've always wanted to try. You can do this! I was a low-down, sad, miserable, lying, stealing drunk. If I can stop drinking and turn my life around, anybody can.

Wishing you the best today!
Old 07-15-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Blinc, yes, it's very possible to get sober and actually ENJOY life! I mean, let's be honest, how much do you actually enjoy drinking now? You look forward to it, but when you wake up the next morning you don't feel too great about it then. I went to rehab; my husband took custody of our son and I didn't want to mess around. Very glad I went, I'm coming up on 9 months' sober. You can get there, too.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
under new management

Welcome, Blink

I find so much support and knowledge on this site, it has been a Godsend!

Read around, post for support, everyone lifts each other up everyday here at SR. You will never be alone here!