Notices

Quick checkin

Old 07-13-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick checkin

In two weeks my life has changed dramatically, and for the better. I have been extremely busy, and focused on achieving some goals. It's a challenge to be sure, and no one is forcing me to do this. I am liking being reengaged with "life". It was a long damn year.

I've meant to say this before, but for newcomers to the site, a couple things that I personally believe really help with sobriety are:
1. You actually like being sober. I drank as a reward and as an escape, but I also liked being sober. I believe that helped a lot in putting down the bottle.
2. Challenging yourself is hard, but can pay off. I was one who really couldn't grasp what my life would entail if I didn't have my binge weekends. And "never drinking again" really sent me for a tailspin. Believe it or not, life is happening all around us outside of the bottle. It really is. There is lots of cool stuff going on, but rarely do we find it or engage in it, when our most precious time is spent drinking or drunk. No one could convince me of that a year and half ago....NO ONE. Yet, I worked on allowing myself to hit the "restart" button at 48 yrs of age, and things are going fairly well. I hope that didn't come across as preachy, because it was not my intent. Just wanted to provide a case study that good things can and do happen.

Lastly, got a physical today and a med check (btw, I may be able to stop taking BP meds altogether, since I quit drinking my bp is border line low. yay.) My doctor and I agreed to change medications, move to a lower dose, and this is the LAST refill. She said that if I find myself in trouble to call her and she'd see me right away, but we both think I will be fine. There was some reasons behind why we did what we did today, but I'm not going to bore you with the details. Hope all are well.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

You sound really good, hope all is going well with classes.
last refills , all around, or just on the bp meds? rootin for ya
Old 07-13-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pope on a Rope

Great post. Thank you and Good luck.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
You sound really good, hope all is going well with classes.
last refills , all around, or just on the bp meds? rootin for ya
Changed the pain med from 10mg oxycodone to 5mg percocet. BP meds might get removed with next check up. BP was 108/70 and has been that way for the last 8 months. When drinking it got as high as 176/114.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A couple more quick thoughts. Some have commented that I had way too much time on my hands, needed to get busy, and probably spent too much time on SR. All of which might be true, but my participation in this site prepared and changed me for my life going forward. All of the information, insight, and good counsel over the course of a year has been filed away in my brain.

The other thing I have done is cut out my insane family member. I think you refer to it here as minimal or no contact. It was just an unnecessary stress and distraction. It was the right move.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So good to hear this, thanks for the update. Let's press on. As always, wishing you the best!
Old 07-14-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Off topic: I think I am a thread killer. When possible, I try to go through all the posts and contribute something if I can. The next day I'll see if there is any feedback. I swear 99% of the time, my post is the last one. After it, the thread died. oh well.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'll keep this going for you then Jeff as I feel that the same issue applies to me too - glad to hear things are going well for you also.

Also to add that I appreciate any input you've contributed to the threads I've started too
Old 07-14-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

lol I have the same feeling a lot too, we should start a thread, course it would only be like three posts
Old 07-14-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Off topic: I think I am a thread killer. When possible, I try to go through all the posts and contribute something if I can. The next day I'll see if there is any feedback. I swear 99% of the time, my post is the last one. After it, the thread died. oh well.
hahahahahaha, I thought I was the resident thread killer

Glad to read your super positive post, Jeff
Old 07-15-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by 2ndhandrose View Post
hahahahahaha, I thought I was the resident thread killer

Glad to read your super positive post, Jeff
hahahahaha, nailed it
Old 07-15-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Jeff,

It's great to see such a positive post! I'm glad things are going well! Any updates on your real estate license? Hope you have a great weekend!

❤️ Delilah
Old 07-16-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2ndhandrose View Post
hahahahaha, nailed it
It took me moment, but I got it. You're funny 2ndhand...

Last post right?
Old 07-16-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Jeff,

It's great to see such a positive post! I'm glad things are going well! Any updates on your real estate license? Hope you have a great weekend!

❤️ Delilah

Hi Delilah, yes there is an update on my license. I PASSED BOTH STATE AND FEDERAL EXAMS ON THURSDAY!!!! 60 more hours of classroom and I join the firm!
Old 07-16-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
It took me moment, but I got it. You're funny 2ndhand...

Last post right?
Right!!!!
Old 07-16-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nice to see your post and know you're doing so well. Congrats on passing those exams.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

You sound like you're doing really well Jeff. That's great!
Old 07-16-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey, thanks for the update on passing your exams! Congrats, I was wondering about that and just found my answer! Well done Buddy!