Notices

my boyfriend just went to rehab

Old 07-13-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy my boyfriend just went to rehab

hi my name is Maria
My 21 year old boyfriend of 2 years just came out to me on sunday 7/10/16 that he is addicted to smoking heroin .....his mom took him to a rehab in Tijuana where he will be staying for 3 months. For the first 2 weeks he cant have any visitation and after that we can go visit him every Sunday from 12- 5 its really hard not talking to him and knowing he wont get out until October but then I think this all for his own good and how great it is that he asked for the help and wanted all this to end , I know its going to be hard and its only the beginning
I just need help with myself on how to be stronger and not be so worried like everyday things are so hard for me to do now I just want to be sleeping , when I know I have school and work and im falling behind on that, also i'm not eating much I get hungry but when I have the food in my face I just eat a little bit and just stop eating
can anybody help? please
Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maria-
First congratulations on coming here and posting. It took me awhile to find this site and post. Heroin is a hard drug to quit and it sounds like this is his first try at quitting. There is what is called the sober and recovery phase as I have learned. The sober part is obstaining from the drug and substances. The recovery process is where he works a program to clean his body, mind and soul. Now, from my experience of 3 years with an addict it has become an impossible journey that has been filled with much abuse. I have children as well so my path is different from yours. I suggest looking into Co-dependency issues for yourself. I myself am a very strong and independent woman yet my relationships I chose were very different from that and I thrived off men I thought I could fix and help and make into better people. I did this in my mind and at the sake of me. I am going to Al-Anon and Co-dependency meetings as well as attending a group domestic abuse weekly meeting. These are to bring my focus back around to me so I stop trying to worry about the addict/husband all the damn time. It becomes almost obsessive where all I was talking in counseling about was the hubby and all I was concerned with him and his rehab and his using and him calling me non stop and texting non stop etc. I also took out books from the local library to help and its great reading material. Keep your chin up and keep knowing that yes this is a journey and you are young. If this journey becomes dangerous or unhealthy for you, you have the right to walk away safely. Hugs Maria
Old 07-13-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I'm glad you posted looking for support for yourself. That will be so important for you as you move through this period.

This is our forum for Friends & Families of Substance Abusers in case you want to check it out:

Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 07-13-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 07-14-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

help!

i was wondering if my boyfriend just smoked heroin never injected and did it for a year and he went to rehab on his own just wanted the help to overcome this and willing to change will it be easier the recovery? ......I know everyone is different and coming off this drug is not easy at all I just want to feel optimistic about the future
Old 07-14-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There's really no way of knowing muhriuh1. It is a positive sign that he's decided to go to rehab on his own, but whether he injected or smoked really doesn't matter so much, just as an alcoholic can be addicted to beer, wine or hard liquor.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yeah that's very true I just want to keep thinking positive and hope hes doing okay ......