SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Heckled at party, heckled back. Bwaaaa!!! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/394409-heckled-party-heckled-back-bwaaaa.html)

Nowsthetime 07-12-2016 07:38 AM

Heckled at party, heckled back. Bwaaaa!!!

Hello all:

I got heckeled this Sunday at a children's bday party..

I was drinking water and a guy asks me "are you hydrating?" and I answered "water is the best".

He proceeded to ask me if I drank and I said I didn't. He asked "never?!?!" I answered "never". He said, "well, we are going to peer pressure you, drink, drink, drink". So I laughed it off and I said "No, I'm going to peer pressure you, shots, shots, shots" really loudly...

He backed off...

I'm so glad I have been here for over 2 years and that I am prepared to handle any situation like that because I would have been mortified if this had happened to me a couple of years ago.

I'm a boss lady and I don't drink!

FreeOwl 07-12-2016 07:45 AM

lol

My Lady and I talked about something like this a few days ago.

Next time I get pressured or see someone get pressured to drink - I'm going to jump in and just be an over-the-top pest to that person, trying to peer pressure them NOT to drink.

"C'Mon!!! DON'T DRINK!!!"

"ahhhhh .... what the heck???? not even for three hours??? Come on... just stop drinking for three hours!!!"

"Here.... have some water. Switch to water. Be COOL. Think of the hangovers you'll avoid.... come on... let's NOT DRINK together!!"

"You mean you are SERIOUSLY going to stand there and refuse to NOT DRINK with me???? What kind of friend are you????"

"Don't be a wet blanket and keep DRINKING while I'm standing here NOT DRINKING. C'mon.... PLEEAAAAAASEEE.... won't you just NOT DRINK with me???"

lol

how fun would that be?

Nowsthetime 07-12-2016 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by FreeOwl (Post 6041065)
lol

My Lady and I talked about something like this a few days ago.

Next time I get pressured or see someone get pressured to drink - I'm going to jump in and just be an over-the-top pest to that person, trying to peer pressure them NOT to drink.

"C'Mon!!! DON'T DRINK!!!"

"ahhhhh .... what the heck???? not even for three hours??? Come on... just stop drinking for three hours!!!"

"Here.... have some water. Switch to water. Be COOL. Think of the hangovers you'll avoid.... come on... let's NOT DRINK together!!"

"You mean you are SERIOUSLY going to stand there and refuse to NOT DRINK with me???? What kind of friend are you????"

"Don't be a wet blanket and keep DRINKING while I'm standing here NOT DRINKING. C'mon.... PLEEAAAAAASEEE.... won't you just NOT DRINK with me???"

lol

how fun would that be?

Hilarious!!! Great idea. Add that one to my arsenal.

Bobbieka 07-12-2016 07:54 AM

Lately I've just said, "no thanks, I'm a recovering alcoholic." The shocked looks are amazing. They shut up though.

Nowsthetime 07-12-2016 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbieka (Post 6041075)
Lately I've just said, "no thanks, I'm a recovering alcoholic." The shocked looks are amazing. They shut up though.

I can see the shock! This is s good one too. Bet that they would never say anything again.

dwtbd 07-12-2016 02:12 PM

We were out with a couple for dinner the other night. The other husband and I were discussing the ' merits' of different bourbons and such, then I think it dawned on him I was enjoying soft drinks and he asked if I drank anymore, I said no. He then said " oh did you have to stop?" , I laughed a little and said "well I didn't have to , but I did, problem was I didn't like drinking , I loved it", not sure if he knew how to take it, lol. We switched to politics :)

U75 07-12-2016 02:23 PM

Yeah, politics. That's a much less volatile conversation topic! :c014:

LadyBlue0527 07-12-2016 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime (Post 6041070)
Hilarious!!! Great idea. Add that one to my arsenal.

Me too, I love this!

trachemys 07-12-2016 03:45 PM

"Are you driving?"

"Ever had a DUI?"

"Want one?"

Then they walk away.

Zebra1275 07-12-2016 05:21 PM

You heckled at a children's birthday party by an A-hole?

I don't know what to even say to that, except that you handled it better than I probably would have . . .

Anna 07-12-2016 05:26 PM

I never understand why people are so intent on drinking at children's birthday parties. I'm glad you got rid of the rude person.

Nowsthetime 07-12-2016 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 6041755)
I never understand why people are so intent on drinking at children's birthday parties. I'm glad you got rid of the rude person.

This group always drinks but it has always been for short amount of times so I have never seen them drunk. It's the parents at my daughter's school which is Catholic and includes alcohol at some functions. But yes, parents holding their beer chatting it up...

It was ok. I don't really care at this point. I'm starting to get this.

Nowsthetime 07-12-2016 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 (Post 6041747)
You heckled at a children's birthday party by an A-hole?

I don't know what to even say to that, except that you handled it better than I probably would have . . .

A little smart-a$$y, but he was a little a-holey so eat it SUCKA!!!

But seriously... We are in our late 30's. "Drink, drink, drink" reminded me of college...

least 07-12-2016 05:43 PM

It was at a kids' party?? How rude of them! :scorebad

You handled it just right. :) In response to their "drink drink drink" I might have said, "no I won't won't won't" ;)

Nowsthetime 07-12-2016 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by trachemys (Post 6041631)
"Are you driving?"

"Ever had a DUI?"

"Want one?"

Then they walk away.

Yeah, ouch!!!

My DUI was in 2002... Took me until 2014 to DO something about it.

I got it expunged so it is like it never happened... But it did. Alcohol affected my life so much... I'm done.

Nowsthetime 07-12-2016 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by least (Post 6041779)
It was at a kids' party?? How rude of them! :scorebad

You handled it just right. :) In response to their "drink drink drink" I might have said, "no I won't won't won't" ;)

Ohh snap!!!

Love this one!

Soberwolf 07-13-2016 02:58 AM

Boss xx