Notices

Joyful and Terrified

Old 07-11-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Joyful and Terrified

Hi all, so glad to have found this forum.

I have been trying to stop drinking permanently since 2007. I have used many approaches: 12 step, CBT, 1:1 therapy, intensive IOP. In 2010 I had a year plus of abstinence. Then my world kind of spun out of control with a very horrible, abusive divorce. In 2012 I got 2 back to back DUI's. I briefly lost custody of my kids due to this. I did months of therapy and random testing and regained custody. My relationships with my kids (now older teens) has been mostly strong.

I was sober for almost 4 years. In January I once again started to have increasing financial and family tensions. I didn't keep up with my program and the urges crept in. I started dabbling in moderation on the days my kids were with their dad. Then last week my drinking, once again, spun out of control and I got drunk on an airplane (very embarrassing) and was told by TSA I had to call a family member to pick me up and the only one who could was my 19 year old daughter. She, of course, was disgusted and upset and my exH is once again threatening to take custody of my other younger teens (15 and 15).

This was one week ago. I have restarted therapy and have called many of my sober friends to come to my support. I feel stronger.

Today I received the letter I'd been waiting for for the past 3 years. I am now done with my 3 year requirement to have an interlock device in my car...a breathalyzer...due to my DUIs of 2012. This has been a huge source of shame for me, and at the same time I realize it was a good tool. Tomorrow it gets removed (I can't afford to keep it) and it is UP TO ME to never drink again...and ESPECIALLY never drink and drive. I'm relieved this shameful chapter is behind me, but scared that it comes at a time when I'm no longer rock solid in my recovery.

Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated. I never want to relapse again. I am bolstering my supports and really getting involved in the recovery community again but I'm scared that I will lose control some day...maybe years from now, and once again lose judgement and drive drunk.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-11-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Wecome.

Sober for 4 years and a relapse. That is terrifying.

Being able to live clean for so long. This shows the power of alcohol.

I have no advice. I'm barely over a year and am still suffering from anxiety the booze medicated.

It is not all the time, but i feel it and i know it was a trigger in the past.

Still is a trigger.

There are a bunch of experienced folks here that can offer a strategy.

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pope on a Rope

Congrats on having the interlock device removed.

Good luck on the beginning of a new journey of sobriety.

You've already proved to yourself in the past that you can go several years without bombing out. Use that as your motivation this time around. And your children as well. What better motivation can there be?

Old 07-11-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Wecome.

Sober for 4 years and a relapse. That is terrifying.

Being able to live clean for so long. This shows the power of alcohol.

I have no advice. I'm barely over a year and am still suffering from anxiety the booze medicated.

It is not all the time, but i feel it and i know it was a trigger in the past.

Still is a trigger.

There are a bunch of experienced folks here that can offer a strategy.

Thanks.
Yes, thanks. It is a balancing act between not letting the past create shame that wears you down and at the same time keeping the knowledge of your addiction on the forefront of your mind so that you never become complacent in recovery. Good for you with one year. Stay strong..every day.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EBIII View Post
Congrats on having the interlock device removed.

Good luck on the beginning of a new journey of sobriety.

You've already proved to yourself in the past that you can go several years without bombing out. Use that as your motivation this time around. And your children as well. What better motivation can there be?

Thank you! I am very excited at the prospect of no longer having that device yelling at me every 10 minutes. I get it...it is a powerful deterrent. But it was EXHAUSTING. Three years of it was long enough. Need to keep reminding myself to never go back.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Ponies! I can imagine how relieved you are to say goodbye to that chapter in your life. It feels so good to be free. Glad to have you with us.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the form.
What is an interlock device? I don't think we have them in the UK
Old 07-11-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Once we cross that line, there is no going back to drinking again. Ever, Period. Years of abstinence won't change our brains back to normal.

Congrats on all that sober time. If you could do it then you can do it now. Some people would just give up and make the problem worse, but you're here on a recovery site asking for help. That's a good sign you have a lot of hope and can quit again. For good this time

Last edited by red3215; 07-11-2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-11-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Four years of sobriety is some serious awesomeness! You can do it again! Keep remembering how great you felt without the booze. The interlock device probably helped you stay sober (it would me, anyway) but now you can do it for you and your kiddos.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you are here. Welcome! Thanks for sharing. Very powerful post. A good reminder that this disease is always laying in wait and we need to be diligent in our recovery.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Ponies
Old 07-12-2016, 03:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome ponies.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Ponies You say that you are terrified that you may relapse "someday", in the future. It helps me when I start thinking that way to remember that the future does not really exist, except in our imaginations. Whatever time it is, it's always right now. The present moment is the one we act in.

I should really take my own advice more often... :P
Old 07-12-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
Welcome to the form.
What is an interlock device? I don't think we have them in the UK
An interlock device is a breathalyzer that is attached to your car ignition. You must blow into it to start your car and then it retests you every 5 to 15 minutes after you start the car. I regularly drive over 4 hours in a day...so you can guess what I'm doing a lot of .