Notices

Why no coffee?

Old 07-11-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why no coffee?

I LOVE coffee. I love smelling it, tasting it, talking about it. I'm on my fourth cup, it's full of antioxidants, it puts me in a great mood, and while addictive it's not impairing. Psychologically, I delay my first cup until I get to work so I actually really look forward to arriving at work. I am in a better mood, have more energy, and am more productive & awake because of it. All good things. So, I have no problem whatsoever being addicted to coffee. I'm fine with it.

So, I keep reading that one should avoid coffee when stopping alcohol. Why is this? Quitting alcohol is one thing, but quitting coffee is entirely another and I don't want to go without it. So why do the sobriety sites keep saying I should quit coffee?
Old 07-11-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not sure I've ever heard one should avoid coffee in recovery. I certainly drink it and so do most every other sober person I know.

That said, I've been in an ongoing struggle for a couple years to moderate coffee. Coffee seems to play hell with my sleep, my anxiety, my moods. It's not impacting my sobriety, but it does impact my life in negative ways sometimes.

I often think I may get to the point that I just eliminate it altogether.... but so far I have not. I like coffee. I depend on coffee. I really can't function well without coffee.

All of which are actually pretty good reasons to quit coffee.....

I think I'll go make some coffee.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

I've never heard of this. It's actually the opposite at AA meetings where they are known for having lots of coffee! Being one of the coffee makers is actually one of the better service positions : ).
Old 07-11-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I'm not sure I've ever heard one should avoid coffee in recovery. I certainly drink it and so do most every other sober person I know.

That said, I've been in an ongoing struggle for a couple years to moderate coffee. Coffee seems to play hell with my sleep, my anxiety, my moods. It's not impacting my sobriety, but it does impact my life in negative ways sometimes.

I often think I may get to the point that I just eliminate it altogether.... but so far I have not. I like coffee. I depend on coffee. I really can't function well without coffee.

All of which are actually pretty good reasons to quit coffee.....

I think I'll go make some coffee.

Same here, I have never heard that but can see that I am depending on it (and other caffeine) much more even than I used to, which was quite a bit. This dependence is definitely all mental. I don't plan to cut it out altogether, but I DO need to decrease and regulate my use of it, for sure!
Old 07-11-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't they usually serve coffee at AA?
Old 07-11-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

I've seen that advice a couple times as well, but I think it is in the context of the first few days of sobriety and withdrawal, where it is important that you stay as hydrated as possible and where you're freaking out with anxiety, racing heartbeat, etc. Under those conditions, coffee (and any kind of caffeine) would not be advisable. I actually didn't even want in during my first sober week, even though I'm also a committed coffee drinker.

Once I was past that initial withdrawal though, I was able to rediscover how good that morning coffee can be! Especially now that my senses of taste and smell are getting back to normal.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My personal experience is when you are shaking and detoxing your body is more sensitive to any stimulant. I don't drink coffee or caffeine but I always take diet pills before the gym. I took one on day one and though I was having a heart attache. If your heart is racing and you are sweating stimulants can increase this. At least that's my experience.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Username7775 View Post
I've seen that advice a couple times as well, but I think it is in the context of the first few days of sobriety and withdrawal, where it is important that you stay as hydrated as possible and where you're freaking out with anxiety, racing heartbeat, etc. Under those conditions, coffee (and any kind of caffeine) would not be advisable. I actually didn't even want in during my first sober week, even though I'm also a committed coffee drinker.

Once I was past that initial withdrawal though, I was able to rediscover how good that morning coffee can be! Especially now that my senses of taste and smell are getting back to normal.
This makes sense to me.

Without trying to be funny, I can honestly & accurately say that coffee makes me a better, brighter, sharper, & more pleasant person.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Some people recommend avoiding caffeine in early sobriety, especially if anxiety is an issue. So it's not so much the coffee itself as the caffeine, which of course can also be found in soda, energy drinks, etc.

I personally deal with anxiety and did end up cutting way back on the amount of coffee I drink because it seems to affect me much more than it did in the past. I still drink some, just not as much. And sometimes I make the low-caff or mix some decaf and regular together.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Determined1977 View Post
I always take diet pills before the gym.
Seriously? Why? Those things are horrible for your heart. Do you do it for energy? Seems coffee would be so much more healthy & natural.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had to cut way back on caffeine in the first six months because I was so jumpy/anxious/speedy, whatever you want to call it. I think people who deal with anxiety or mania or bipolar or A.D.D. or depression have a much more pronounced sensitivity to caffeine.

I'm back to my regular coffee, but for nearly a year I was on half-caff and limited that to two cups a day.

I tried to quit coffee and tea completely to see how I felt. I made it a month. One day I had a horrible headache that didn't respond to any of the OTC stuff I had. I had coffee that day and it cured the headache and I've been back on it since.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The reason it's suggested to avoid caffeine (and nicotine) during recovery is because it interferes with the brain as it readjusts and balances it's own neurotransmitter production. From what I've read, anyway.

I didn't avoid caffeine but I did cut down to 3 cups per day.

I feel the benefits outweigh the supposed slowed-down neurotransmitter recovery process. Who knows??
Old 07-11-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeekendWarrior View Post
Seriously? Why? Those things are horrible for your heart. Do you do it for energy? Seems coffee would be so much more healthy & natural.
I took them for years when I did fitness competition. This last stunt with alcohol is the first time I gained weight. It's a mental thing.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I think Soberpotomas closely hit it on the mark.

Four years ago my daughter entered rehab due to opiate use. They were not allowed cigarettes and their intake of caffeine and sugar was very limited. I believe they would get one cup of real coffee in the morning and one packet of sugar. She said that people would save both and use them in trade for things. When I asked I'm remembering it was along the line of what Soberpotamus stated.

Strange.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It was suggested to me to take care
of my alcohol addiction first and foremost
before taking on other issues.

Learning a recovery program and
remaining sober one day at a time
is a huge task in itself. So I concentrated
on that one thing in early recovery.

I also had to learn about moderation.
To find a balance in all that I do and
keep things simple.

Coffee has always been a part of my
life from birth to today. I do recall
over drinking coffee in early recovery
and took a trip to the doctor for them
to suggest drinking decaf instead of the
real stuff. So I did and yes I did see a
difference in my health. A positive
plus to help me with sleep and activities.

I was brought up and taught that
took much of anything isn't good
for me. Even coffee.

Of course I drank alcohol too
much and definitely caused more
harm than good for me and thus
had to be taught about my addiction
and its affects on my own mind, body,
soul and those around me.

Some 25 yrs of many one days at a
time sober down the road I still love
my real coffee, but try to remember
to practice balance with it to remain
healthy in all areas of my life.

As a note, coffee at meetings was
always great to go with the many
delicious pastries id bring for my
fellow recovery friends to enjoy
and make them smile.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If I stop drinking coffee I will definitely returning to alcohol, lol!
Old 07-11-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Quitting drinking causes anxiety, and stimulants like coffee can make it worse for some, but by no means stop if it's helping!
Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My alanon group cooperates with an AA meeting at the same church, same day and time- so we help pay for coffee etc. I get there the same time the AA's do to set things up and arranging the coffee is a Big Deal- must get that started before the chairs are arranged. That said, the AA setup guy doesn't drink it himself, some others prefer decaf or tea- but its all set up regardless.

For my part, from a quality beverage standpoint the coffee I taste in the rooms is pretty bad; right out of a can, fake creamer etc. But from a getting my life back and recovery perspective, its the best coffee I've ever had in the best company I've ever experienced. Pretty often somebody brings some cookies or donuts (home cooked deserts in the Alanon rooms yo) & I wouldn't go next door to a coffee joint to get anything.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Coffee is one of life's pleasures, and the world's largest commodity. I love the taste, and try to buy fair trade beans, enjoy the different roasts, grinding the beans, etc. I even enjoy that crappy Nescafe that you get in SE Asia.. lol.. but I rarely drink the stuff in AA meetings.. yuk.

At home I grind beans and make a small pot first thing, then late morning another, blending up half caff beans. No anxiety or sleep problems unless I have a cup of the highly caffeinated brew from Starbucks, Peets, etc. Yow!
Old 07-11-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Maybe they mean during detox/withdrawals as caffeine plays havoc with your heart rate, anxiety etc ... your adding to your suffering.