Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

(NEW COMER)step mom to a child of a parent struggling with addiction help!!!!

Notices

Old 07-10-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My beautiful daughter is ten years old and her birth mother has been struggling for years with an addiction it was at the start pills the cocaine Every now and then. She started smoking crack and in the last two years she started booting it I am 31 and I am going to sound really stupid I am sure to most but up till three years ago I had no real idea about any of this stuff I was under the belief that pot was all green till my daughter came home and told me her mother took her to buy purple weed and that she smoked it with her friends in front of her and over the next six month she told us and the school about crack and what it looked like how it was smoked and so on... Its now been two years and as you can guess we've had to deal with court and the state and so on but I can't find anything out there close to home that helps us help my daughter as she is still on this roller coaster with her mother ... We want to support her love for her mother but at the same time support her having a childhood and I am at a loss as to what I am doing my husband and i have her she hasnt seen mom for almost a year because mom called her some nasty names at court and now they have visits again but my daughter was happy and now not so much cause mom lied to her again i am out of my depths here any help would be welcomed thank you so much

Last edited by Sunshin; 07-10-2016 at 09:21 PM. Reason: adding up
Old 07-11-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for the pain you're feeling, and the situation with the birth mother. From my own personal experience, exposing children to a parent that is actively addicted and/or using isn't good for them regardless of your good intentions. I hope she gets help for her addiction. There's a great forum on here for family of addicts and parenting problems. You'll get good advice there.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Sunshine
Old 07-11-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sunshin. I have no experience in this area; however, there is a "Friends and Family" subforum on this site, and I'm sure there are many people there who have been through something similar. You may want to post your comments there, as I think you would get many helpful responses and support.

One thing I would recommend if you're not already doing so is to document and date the details of every event that happens involving the mother and daughter; that could come in handy if you have to resort to the legal system again.

I wish you the best.