Notices

Restless

Old 07-09-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Restless

I had my last drink 18 days ago. I've done this before and I know that it's not the number of days I can go without drinking but the quality of my sobriety each day that matters to me. Since the 4th of July Holiday I have felt restless and unbalanced. I've been over eating sweets and even smoking cigs here and there. I'm going to a meeting tomorrow and feel like that will help. I spent the 4th with my mom and step dad and grandkids and daughter. It was pretty stressful at times but I just remained calm and didn't get upset or try to control things. I'm proud of that. My mom is opinionated without a filter sometimes. I don't really know why I'm feeling like I need to eat sugar besides the fact that I really love sweets but what I'm saying is balance is short lived for me and I really need to work on cultivating contentment. Any thoughts?
Old 07-09-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For instance I feel like I will feel better when I get the house painted. I look around at things that need fixing or repairing and feel like I can't be happy until..... Until there is a new coat of paint and the sink gets fixed and doesn't drip and I lose weight and until my hair is longer. I also obsessively change the color of my hair so I end up cutting it short because of the damage. I also move the furniture around. It's all about change and the satisfaction doesn't last. Ughh these aren't real people I lens just some irritating crap about my personality.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I meant to say these aren't real problems but more of a nuisance that hinder my peace and contentment. Namaste SR buddies.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lamest post ever. Wow. No one even commented on this bs I was spouting! Ha ha
Old 07-10-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It wasn't lame at all. Good for you for staying call with everyone around thats never easy. And I feel the same way untill this happens or this goes right I will feel better but it just never happens like that . Keep going im on day 2
Old 07-10-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 18 days, Tate. The sugar cravings are normal for many of us when we stop drinking. As for your obsessing over those various things, that's normal too. Many of us are obsessive types. I know I am. Take it a little easy on yourself. You don't have to get everything done all at once.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just completed painting my bedroom a startling white and I love it. It has a feeling of neat and clean and like a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also painted some of my furniture a smoky grey color and I have some glue accidents for the room. It's going to be white gray and blue like the sky. What can I say I enjoy a change. 26 days for me thank you everyone for your support.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm on day 12 (haven't been here in a long time). Some thoughts:

1. Whether and how fast people respond is never a reflection on you. Maybe they are asleep or at work, in different parts of the world (your first post was 4am my time) or maybe a lot of others posted. Go easy on yourself.

2. As ZenLifter said, sugar cravings seem to be normal. A nutritionist (or Google can help. For me it was lots of protein.

3. I feel the same things you do with regards to restlessness. For me it comes from a feeling of having wasted time/life and trying to catch up. I try to go easy on myself. When I do, the feelings go away.

I'm really happy for your 26 days. That's great.

KP
Old 07-15-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats! I think the restlessness is a pretty common thing in early sobriety. It sure was for me.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome Tate !!!
Old 07-16-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Tate,

Sugar and caffeine both get me wired for hours now.

I feel edgy, obsessive, and spacey.

For example....if I eat 2 doughnuts and a cup of strong coffee for breakfast....I'm sort of a pinged out wreck w no long term energy....but if I eat eggs w cheese, a banana, and a tall water instead...I feel much more stable w energy for longer time.

Sugar and caffeine get me high now....I like it sometimes...depends on the situation.

Diet is Hugh for me now. When I was drunk, I was chronicly exhausted. Now sober, it is a different ball game.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Never Again

Love your avatar Tate! Owls and coffee. Two of my favorite things! I've been struggling with all of the extra time that I have now that I'm not obsessing about my plans for drinking, or recovering from drinking the previous night. So much to do, so much time to make up for. Congrats on getting the bedroom painted. That's an accomplishment in itself. Glad you're here.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Congrats on 27 days! i'm restless tonight and I have 4 yeas. It used to bring in my cravings because the restlessness causes the T in HALT which brought cravings. Same now as I quit smoking at a month and a half.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. 12 days sober is huge too. Keep reading and posting daily it does work. When I stray from this site for too long I stop learning and lose my much needed perspective. It's so good to see the same people Soberwolf. I always look for your comments because you have some time and you really care. Thank you. One of you who replied is going to school to be a paralegal. I've been one for 20 years. We can chat. I love that this is a global site because I love chatting with
Old 07-16-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can completely relate. We moved recently, and there are so many things to do, change, unpack, put away, move, throw away, donate, buy...UGH. At day 50, I'm still often restless, edgy, and uncomfortable in my skin, but it's slowly getting better. I agree that diet and drinking water plays a huge part, as I sit here with my super-strong coffee and toast. Feel free to join us on the June daily newcomers thread, since you quit in June. It's good when everyone is around the same stage of recovery.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cont... Australians and UK. I can always tell by the spelling of common words like color or colour and the s instead of the z in realize. Oh and thank you for the advice on the sweets. I BINGE on sweets like 5 doughnuts and then candy. I guess I do get high from it. So I bought a small bag of butterscotch hard candy to slow down the shoving of sugar in my mouth. It's helping some.