Notices

I'm so bored....this is torture...

Old 07-09-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm so bored....this is torture...

I haven't posted in awhile. I guess I'll keep it brief.
Found out that the relationship I had been in was fake.
For the last year my gf was cheating on me with her ex.
I think I've dealt with it pretty well (for an alcoholic).
She was a pretty heavy supporter of my sobriety (if there was one good thing about her, that's it)

Tonight I'm just so *#%#%# bored! I've looked at lists of things to do when you are bored. Nothing sounds fun. If this thread was last year or the year before I would say "drinking sounds fun though" but that ship has sailed. Drinking doesn't even sound fun. I think we've been though multiple breakups SR.... the problem is that I keep distancing myself from my friends with each relationship. I just don't have the circle of friends that I used to have because I spend all my time with these girlfriends and then they are gone.... and then I'm alone.... damn....

I don't know why I'm posting. I'm not really asking for advice. I'm just kind of venting. I don't know ugh...
Old 07-09-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi! I think maybe getting out of the house and going for a nice walk might help especially if it's it's a beautiful summer night where you're at. Or how about treating yourself to a movie?
Old 07-09-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you to stay sober during an emotional time! Thanks for reminding us all that alcohol makes everything worse. In this case, boredom and restlessness are expected and OK, so congrats. What's on your to-do list? Maybe we can help you think of something that's more appealing to get you started?
Old 07-09-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
I haven't posted in awhile. I guess I'll keep it brief.
Found out that the relationship I had been in was fake.
For the last year my gf was cheating on me with her ex.
I think I've dealt with it pretty well (for an alcoholic).
She was a pretty heavy supporter of my sobriety (if there was one good thing about her, that's it)

Tonight I'm just so *#%#%# bored! I've looked at lists of things to do when you are bored. Nothing sounds fun. If this thread was last year or the year before I would say "drinking sounds fun though" but that ship has sailed. Drinking doesn't even sound fun. I think we've been though multiple breakups SR.... the problem is that I keep distancing myself from my friends with each relationship. I just don't have the circle of friends that I used to have because I spend all my time with these girlfriends and then they are gone.... and then I'm alone.... damn....

I don't know why I'm posting. I'm not really asking for advice. I'm just kind of venting. I don't know ugh...
I was you yesterday !! Then I got caught up reading a thread called "What non-drinkers don't do." There was some funny and real stuff in there Then I had to get out of the house. I drove to go get ice cream, and I got a double scoop with tons of chocolate ! Came home tools shower, brushed my teeth(sometimes that really works to help sideline the craving), and went to bed
Old 07-09-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

The more unhappy we are with ourselves and our lives, the more likely we are to search for a relationship in order temper or distract ourselves from our dissatisfaction, and the more likely we are to get into, and then stay in, unhealthy relationships. It's much easier than doing the work we need to do to get ourselves to a better place.

There are few better places in life to hide in than in a relationship.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Here's my 2 cents

First of all I second the idea of the ICE CREAM!!!!!!!

Do some exercise, regularly and consistantly.

Develop a variety of relationships with sober friends (and/or renew those old friendships). AA is a GREAT place to do this.

In the future, don't put all your (relationship) eggs in one basket. If you spend all your time with your partner and little to none with friends, then one bad turn in that relationship turns is far worse than if you had friends to support you with the loss.

Did I mention ice cream?
Old 07-09-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Relate to your boredom , ive been on holiday for 12 days and back to work tomorrow nigh and I'm glad . Hope you feel more contented soon .
Old 07-09-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
The more unhappy we are with ourselves and our lives, the more likely we are to search for a relationship in order temper or distract ourselves from our dissatisfaction, and the more likely we are to get into, and then stay in, unhealthy relationships. It's much easier than doing the work we need to do to get ourselves to a better place.

There are few better places in life to hide in than in a relationship.

Thanks for this... it was really helpful.... I"m not going to drink tonight.....
Old 07-09-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
She was a pretty heavy supporter of my sobriety.
How sober have you been?
Old 07-09-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Obviously I don't know you and don't want to judge. When I was younger we had a pretty tight group of guys. But there were a couple of guys who whenever they got involved in a relationship, they disappeared....until the relationship ended, then they called every damn day. I think its important to make an effort to become your own person so you are able to function in society without being quasi co-dependent. Not saying that is what's going on in your case, but something to think about. Even when well rounded, the early days of sobriety are truly boring imo.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sometimes, just do SOMETHING.

When nothing sounds fun and you're feeling bored... pick something and do it anyway.

The hardest part of getting unstuck is choosing to make the first move.