Notices

You have more power than you think

Old 07-09-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You have more power than you think

During the years I spent chasing sobriety, I often felt like I couldn't do it. Couldn't give up my nightly wine ritual. Couldn't live a like without alcohol. Or, more aptly, didn't want to. I think a lot of people on the brink just haven't made the commitment to stop drinking. They're afraid to. This was my fear, too. What would I DO if I wasn't drinking?? How could I deal?

The answer is inside you. You have the tools to life a rewarding life without alcohol -- you just need to call on them. I don't believe we are powerless or helpless or hopeless. That bottle in your fridge or pantry doesn't have a mind. It's just messing with yours because you let it. It's not holding a gun to your head. You're the one holding the gun.

It's just a liquid. Think about that. A liquid.

And you can pour it down the drain.

I understand the fear because I felt it, too. I didn't believe those people on here that said life was better without alcohol. What kind of life must they have, I wondered? No fun, that's for sure! But how much "fun" was I really having?

A few days or weeks of discomfort it worth the experiment of sobriety. See how you feel when you give it a chance. Give alcohol the finger and free yourself from it for a little while. You can always go back.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
MB8

Great post. I needed to hear that at this very moment as I sit here at this bar. Thank you. I'm gonna give it a shot. For the 97th time.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree.

We all have the power of choice, the power of self love, the power to create anew abundant, happy life.

We really do.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Personally, I don't have a bottle in my fridge or pantry because I discovered I am indeed powerless over alcohol but only if today I choose to pick up that first drink. At that point the insidious insanity returns and the first one leads down the all too familiar path. I had lost the power of choice when I drank daily. By grace, that choice has been returned to me.

I agree if it's in your pantry or fridge get rid of it! It helps not to get close to the flame when we are early in sobriety, certainly,
Old 07-09-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for this.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post to wake up to this morning. I don't believe I am powerless, actually I like to think I am powerful. Powerful enough to lead a new life without alcohol. I'm on day 5 and already feel so much stronger.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't keep any bottle on hand either.
I have no need to test my arm anymore.

I walked away, I retired. The ball game between me and alcohol is over