Notices

My tongue is dressed for winter

Old 07-08-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

My tongue is dressed for winter

I was prepared for all sorts of weird physical effects of withdrawal and recovery. I was not prepared for the thick tongue coating I've recently been experiencing. I thought I had just burned it really bad, but couldn't remember how. And then of course the hypochondriac alcoholic mind kicked in and suggested that it might be related to recovery. Turns out that a coated tongue is common with excessive alcohol use (which makes sense to me, as I was pouring vast quantities of fire-water over it for years). I otherwise have good oral hygiene. So, my tongue is apparently joining the rest of my body in expelling all the crap left over from years of abuse, and working on growing healthy new cells.

As a possibly-related aside, I've also realized that my sense of taste was drastically altered while I was drinking, and only just now is it getting back to normal. Finally, my morning coffee is tasting the way it used to!
Old 07-08-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Username7775 View Post
I was prepared for all sorts of weird physical effects of withdrawal and recovery. I was not prepared for the thick tongue coating I've recently been experiencing. I thought I had just burned it really bad, but couldn't remember how. And then of course the hypochondriac alcoholic mind kicked in and suggested that it might be related to recovery. Turns out that a coated tongue is common with excessive alcohol use (which makes sense to me, as I was pouring vast quantities of fire-water over it for years). I otherwise have good oral hygiene. So, my tongue is apparently joining the rest of my body in expelling all the crap left over from years of abuse, and working on growing healthy new cells.

As a possibly-related aside, I've also realized that my sense of taste was drastically altered while I was drinking, and only just now is it getting back to normal. Finally, my morning coffee is tasting the way it used to!
I noticed that about my sense of smell. It's better than I can ever remember it being (which isn't always good, haha!).
Old 07-08-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Originally Posted by Cherrybreeze View Post
I noticed that about my sense of smell. It's better than I can ever remember it being (which isn't always good, haha!).
Especially in rural Wisconsin this time of year. I was riding my bike early in the morning a few days ago, and the "scent" of fresh, concentrated manure practically knocked me off the bike.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It could be candida very common in drinkers
Old 07-08-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sorry have to Fox or Mink. hahahahahaha it will go away and for a bit you will wish it was back.. you have to redo the plate of your tongue for you kinda killed it off over the years.. chew slowly eat small bites and enjoy the food. and flavors will re come back.. my hubby is enjoying more veg cold uncooked and hot. almost got him to eat purple egg plant. whooooo hoooo. good luck and hey have fun with the foods...
Old 07-08-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

My wife has tried to get me to eat eggplant prepared half-a-hundred different ways over the years. Blechk to every one.

Also kohlrabi. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to eat that. I don't care how much salt you dump on it.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

I'm too cheap for Fox or Mink. It's more like some kind of itchy synthetic.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Do you brush your tongue along with your teeth? If it does not go away ask your doctor.