Notices

Here I Still Go....

Old 07-08-2016, 01:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I Still Go....

Hi all,

I'm still learning how to post in the forum and not sure on how to respond individually but hopefully this is a decent group response to my previous thread that everyone can see!

Firstly thanks to all who responded to my first post, I was so nervous but after I clicked submit I really felt a weight was lifted off my shoulders and all the responses with advice made complete sense.

As I was saying previously I hadn't actually committed to not drinking yet out of fear of failure and in a strange way I still haven't.... It's kind of like I'm subconsciously holding on to some kind of get out of jail free that I can use if I have a drink ..... Like: Well I hadn't actually said I had stopped yet so technically I haven't failed as being sober...... sounds stupid as this would only ever result in me having a drink..... So I'm throwing that thought out the window right now!!

Anyways I had a very strange week in, I actually had my last drink 6 days ago and days 2 - 5 of those alcohol free days my partner and kids were away on holiday... Being on my own during this time gave me a lot of time to think about things, hence the registration and the beginning of my sober journey...

Another strange thing happened.... I came home from work today without stopping to get a box of beer.... So this being the first Friday in as long as I can remember where I haven't had a beer.... I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself. (even got offered a cold one, which I politely declined)

In saying that, it wasn't always an easy week for me, I thought about drinking (or not drinking) more than any other time in my life and at times found myself getting worried and having hot spells thinking about it. Lucky not more than a few minutes at a time, and I reminded myself its a good thing I'm not drinking.

A few people asked if I had a kind of support network or anything I could also use and I do know there are some in my area, however I'll see how I get on the next few weeks. At a guess, although things are hard for me, I'm still riding on the adrenalin of stopping and things will get a lot harder once I have a bad day or I'm in a social situation... Hopefully I can handle myself then.

When I first posted earlier in the week a few people had also mentioned about not leaving it to late.... Thank you for this, it really confirms my original thoughts about why I'm stopping and how I want to enjoy life more going forward!!

For now one day at a time. Tonight and the next two days will be pretty hard and I'm going to give it a good shot!

Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck !!!
Old 07-08-2016, 02:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like a good start changingtimes
D