Notices

Paws, anxiety or medication

Old 07-07-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dim

Paws, anxiety or medication

Hey guys,

1 month sober here and feeling of pretty intense anxiety, depersonalisation and depression with sleep disturbances. Reaching out for anyone that can shed some light on what may be happening to me. Been to the doctor, regularly to the psych and drug and alcohol counsellor and they all seem convinced that my withdrawal since my last binge (big one) should be well and truly over.. I started on an SSRI about 12 days ago and since my anxiety has definitely gotten worse which I understand is normal but the thing thats bothering me most is the fogginess, inability to think straight or concentrate and the struggle for coordination at times.. i've been through multiple withdrawals before but this is no doubt the worst of them in terms of length.. can anyone share a similar experience and tell me when things will start to look up?

Much love
Dim
Old 07-07-2016, 08:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm surprised your doctors didn't acknowledge your symptoms as part of alcohol withdrawal. It might be physically out of your system, but alcohol abuse messes up your brain and it takes awhile to recover. When I got out of rehab (I was there for 7 weeks), the first week I was home I backed my car into the mailbox. Now, I'd NEVER done that before and I've lived in this home for 20 yrs. It's been 9 months and I'm pretty clear headed at this point, but the first couple of months were foggy. You'll get there. Just stay the course....and congrats on your decision to commit to sobriety.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm 7 weeks sober and about 6 weeks on an SSRI. Things were really rough for the first month and I was having anxiety/depression issues. I have noticed improvements the last couple weeks. Sleeping much better. Better mood. Give your meds a few more weeks and stay the course. I'm sure you'll feel better soon
Old 07-07-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

The ssri are out of my arena.

I dealt w heavy anxiety for months after I quit.

I am getting better, but at 14 months, still not used to what this feels like.

I did all my recovery w no meds.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

My experience with SSRIs is they can take a while to 'bed in'.

I've also experienced PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) where withdrawal effects can appear to occur again later on..

I'm not a Dr so I can't diagnose you, but your experience is one I'm familiar with.

Things got better for me progressively week by week and then really good from around 3 months.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SSRI's take a while to start kicking in, usually around a month or so. One of the common side effects I experienced myself for the first few weeks was the brain fog, but it does lift.
I deal with horrible anxiety as well, and it comes in waves, like many others. You can be fine for weeks, sometimes months, then it hits like a freight train out of nowhere. For sure keep up with the meds and off the booze. It took me months of different meds and dosages until we got things in order.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dim

Thanks for the replies guys... my biggest fear as always is that I may have done some permanent damage to my brain.. i had an MRI before my last binge and this reveaped no evidence of wet brain/korsakoff etc but I still feel like i'm cognitively impaired. I know nobody here is a doctor but i'm quite anxious at the idea that i've done some kind of damage that can't be undone.. need some hope!!
Old 07-07-2016, 10:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I won't lie - it took a long time for my brain to come back to what I felt it had been, but it did

I drank hard for 20 years and 5 of those all day every day - based on my recovery, the odds are you'll be fine Dim
Old 07-08-2016, 12:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Can relate to this too Dim and the feelings you are going through, I was all over the place, foggy, anxious / depressed and rather hyper at times too - i'm at 7 months now and after a rather turbulent time adjusting to things and allowing the SSRI's to kick in and level out it has got much better over the last couple of months - adjusting dosage a few times, leaning on others here and just accepting that I was going to have to rough it out for a while was key, also accepting that while those epsiodes of anxiety etc do pass they have returned on occassion from absutely nowhere, same as you I have questioned what damage I have done and at times have felt like I was losing the plot completely but like Dee says we've spent a long time messing with our brains its gonna take some time to start to settle and a while longer to put it right completely but you're definitely moving in the right direction.

30 days is fantastic mate and as people say it definitely does get better, beleive me it truly will settle down just keep on doing what you are doing and don't let anything get in your way no matter how tough it may feel.

Plenty of people here who know exactly what you are going through and can relate, so even if you feel that you cannot make sense of it or talk to anyone as they don't understand then fire away on here at anytime, you're definitely not alone - there are people who know exactly what you are going through right now.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dim

Once again appreciate the replies guys.. certainly helps curb the anxiety somewhat but can all this be happening even though I'm a binge drinker? I had 5 weeks up before my last 6 day binge and was feeling a hell of a lot better than i feel now? I know all about kindling but is it possible that this recent binge was the straw that broke the camels back?
Old 07-08-2016, 02:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dim,

I could have typed that last reply myself, I was also a binger with no off switch once started, wanted it all once started and into absolute oblivion, knew there were problems for a long time and blackouts etc getting more regualr and problems getting worse but never wanted to stop or accept / admit it.

Same goes tho I had 5 weeks training / fitness and no drinking before a huge 8 day bender that has changed my life and I must add most definitely for the better altho it certainly didn't feel like that for sometime afterwards.

Exactly the same, those 5 weeks prior I was on top of the world at how well things were going too - I crashed to the lowest point ever and it really has taken time to get back from there to anywhere near like normal, I felt such utter depseration at times and really did have it in my mind that i'd done something to myself that couldn't be fixed, why if i had stopped drinking and doing drugs could I not find that place I knew was there only a few short weeks ago - it does take time and whilst a month is fantastic it really is still very early days. Stick with it mate I promise you things will improve, give it time.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally I think binge drinking is every bit as dangerous as all day drinking and may even be more so, Dim.

I'm not surprised that this time is worse than others in the past.

Another really good reason to stay quit yeah?
Old 07-08-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Sounds normal for one month of sobriety! We didn't learn to drink a lot over night and we won't recover over night, either!
Old 07-08-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am VERY surprised that all of your professionals told you that you should be over PAWS by now.

See - https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

I am 137 days (closing in on 5mo) sober. It took me several months - through 60, closing in on 90, for all of the symptoms to work my way through and out of my body. I'd say they are 99% gone - but life has entered in, so physical and mental stuff that resembles PAWS (sadness, distractedness, cramps, whatever) is part of life for us alcoholics just like everyone else. From the immediate vomiting, seizure-like cramps, and the mental "Stuff" and more - I quit cold turkey after a handle of vodka/every 2 days habit for the last 6 mo of my drinking - to the gradually lessening things. My grasp of words - picking the right one - came back. My sense of spatial direction has come back - it scared me to drive, even a couple of months in. I could go on but I imagine you get the point. Like Dee said, I don't think it makes a difference in whether you were a binge drinker or a continuous one like me - and every person is different.

I am not on anti-depressants, but do take two serious meds for my BPD. We have not adjusted the dosage on either, but my dr is keeping a close eye on my behaviors, moods and such. I imagine your dr will too - in my past experience taking SSRIs, the "down" at first is common just like the labels and drs say.

Hang in there- 30 days is awesome but also short, in terms of your body.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dim,

I have been told that there is this invisible line we drinkers cross and when we cross that line, we suffer all kinds of physical consequences. I have been sober for 6 months and still experience the waves of anxiety and depression. I am not on an SSRI so the road may be a little tougher for me, but it does get a little better everyday. I am also surprised your doctor said you should be through PAWS by now; I was told the same thing by one doctor, but yet another doctor said that was ridiculous and that it could take upwards of two years for the brain to recover. Anywho, congrats on your 30 days and check out that website August sent you, it has great info and the moderator replies to any questions you may have. Congrats again.