Notices

More Vitamin Z?

Old 07-06-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

More Vitamin Z?

I know this is very well-trod ground here, but I am seeking medical anecdotes, NOT advice. I am 39 days sober and while the insane anxiety and crushing depression have relented, I'm still barely functioning. I currently take 50mg of zoloft daily and have been thinking that titrating up to 100mg might just give me enough of a push to get through this extremely rough patch. I used to take 100 several years ago and did well on that dosage; I'm only at 50 now because I wanted the therapeutic benefits of the drug with the least amount of side effects - mostly sexual.

Does anyone have any experience with increasing your anti-d dosage while in recovery? Once again, not looking to be advised one way or the other; just curious about others' journeys on this weird, twisting path called sobriety.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, and as for asking my doctor, I have an appointment with him tomorrow morning and plan on asking his opinion about this. I will follow his recommendation, but am still curious.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wouldn't increase the dose without asking the doctor first. I started out years ago on 50 mg and am now on 200 mg a day. It works well for me.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

What you are asking for is medical advice even if you are framing it as "personal experience/anecdotes". Just because one person has a particular experience with a particular drug it doesn't mean the effect will be the same for you. I'm glad you are seeing your doctor tomorrow and hopefully he can give you the answers you need.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're seeing your Dr too - best place to get that kind of advice

D
Old 07-06-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'll let you all know what we decide, thanks.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

THINman, you just prompted me to create forthcoming post. I'm sure that your doctor is aware of your situation with alcohol but it led me to a larger question which I'm about to post.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So after my appointment this morning we agreed that I should go up to 75mg for the next two weeks and see how things are going before going up to 100mg. Fingers crossed!
Old 07-07-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes
D
Old 07-07-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, I had an increase in my anti depressant dosage (Effexor) during early recovery, which I asked my doctor for. Having experienced depression most of my life, I am keenly aware when I need something changed. It did the trick. My doctor really didn't know why quitting drinking changed my dosage need, but he theorized that perhaps the med's concentration levels in my blood were somewhat different, absent the alcohol.