Notices

Has anyone read 7 weeks to sobriety?

Old 07-06-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone read 7 weeks to sobriety?

If so, how did you like it ? Was it useful? I am 6 months in and been hit with depression again. I was feeling better for a while, then it came back. Just wondering if it's worth buying.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I googled it. I think it's also one of the books I've seen at the bookstore. I have not read it - boy that $395 detox formula they have is crazy expensive; not rehab-detox-center expensive but for an "over the counter" kind of promise. My first rxn was "yikes."

Anyway - my one comment (beyond the obvious question: are you working a recovery program? at the beginning, or still?) is see your doctor. Depression and other mental struggles are common among recovering alcoholics so this would be my first try.

Hang in there - you know at 6mo that going back to drinking is worse!
Old 07-06-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

August,

Going back to drinking is NOT an option. I think i really just need to continue with the alternative doctor I am going to. i can tell the difference in my mood, I just think as an alcoholic, I want to be fixed right now! I am even feeling better as we speak. I really don't like the roller coaster of emotions. No I am not working a program right now. I go to AA but haven't found a sponsor yet. I gues that should be a priority huh?!
Old 07-06-2016, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Seven weeks to sobriety? It took me seven weeks just to remember to bring tissues to my AA meeting because I hid in the back crying for the first six months.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillpooh19 View Post
August,

Going back to drinking is NOT an option. I think i really just need to continue with the alternative doctor I am going to. i can tell the difference in my mood, I just think as an alcoholic, I want to be fixed right now! I am even feeling better as we speak. I really don't like the roller coaster of emotions. No I am not working a program right now. I go to AA but haven't found a sponsor yet. I gues that should be a priority huh?!
When I made that a priority, I started getting well. Good luck to you.

About the roller coaster of emotions--just let them be. Don't attach feelings to them. Don't try to make them go away. Go thru them.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Centered3. Gotta remember to just go through it!
Old 07-06-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your depression but congrats on 6 months

D
Old 07-06-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would also recommend being evaluated for possible depression. Now that I'm sober, my antidepressants work as they should and my mood is much better. Counseling and/or meds can work wonders for depression.

And big congrats on six months sober!
Old 07-06-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I would also recommend being evaluated for possible depression. Now that I'm sober, my antidepressants work as they should and my mood is much better. Counseling and/or meds can work wonders for depression.

And big congrats on six months sober!
Least brings up an important point. I get treatment for clinical depression and anxiety, even though I'm sober. Everyone's brain chemistry is different.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I read it. It's basically a supplement protocol that supposedly re-balances your brain chemistry. Like everyone else said, see a real life pdoc. Mine told me to stop wasting money on all the supplements except one of them and gave me meds. Much cheaper. And I do feel better.

KP
Old 07-06-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job on 6 months!!