Notices

Just a thought

Old 07-06-2016, 01:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a thought

Hi all.Hope everyone is well and moving forward in recovery.Several years ago a friend of mine who was really having a struggle with staying sober gave up his job as it was literaly messing with his head.He did some research and it was recommended that an occupation that is less taxing mentaly can sometimes be a solution,should our job be a primary factor which has us reaching for the bottle.I could name many from all walks of life who have found this.May not always be practicle I guess.Take care everyone.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Pressurised work environments can definitely drive a a person to drinking or drugging as a means of "coping" with the pressure. I put that word in inverted commas because clearly harming ourselves in this way is not a sign of coping

I agree jojay that if you are harming you self with drink or drugs because of work pressures then a less stessful job is a great idea.

I also suspect that for many reasons, financial mainly, it is not always possible and definitely not easy to get a less stressful job in which case it is a good idea to get some help on how to reduce the pressure. Ultimately drinking does not bring any long term relief from pressure situations - just the opposite in fact

Did it work out OK for your friend jojay?
Old 07-06-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Pressurised work environments can definitely drive a a person to drinking or drugging as a means of "coping" with the pressure. I put that word in inverted commas because clearly harming ourselves in this way is not a sign of coping

I agree jojay that if you are harming you self with drink or drugs because of work pressures then a less stessful job is a great idea.

I also suspect that for many reasons, financial mainly, it is not always possible and definitely not easy to get a less stressful job in which case it is a good idea to get some help on how to reduce the pressure. Ultimately drinking does not bring any long term relief from pressure situations - just the opposite in fact

Did it work out OK for your friend jojay?
Hi.Yes,my freind changed his type of work.But only after 5yrs of unemployment due toalcohol abuse related mental health issues.He has been doing well the last 3yrs now.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's good to avoid stress when sobering up but, many getting sober ones have plenty. Learning how not to escape stress by running to the bottle is one of the keys to success.

The more hard things that I go through in sobriety without drinking, makes me ((us)) stronger yet in our sobriety.

We need to face the world head on and not drink -- no matter what.

Mountainman
Old 07-06-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Glad that your friend has been doing OK for the last 3 years
Old 07-07-2016, 12:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
It's good to avoid stress when sobering up but, many getting sober ones have plenty. Learning how not to escape stress by running to the bottle is one of the keys to success.

The more hard things that I go through in sobriety without drinking, makes me ((us)) stronger yet in our sobriety.

We need to face the world head on and not drink -- no matter what.

Mountainman
Hi Mountainman.I totaly agree with you.