Notices

Monkey see, Monkey do

Old 07-05-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Monkey see, Monkey do

For those that think your children don't notice or they are too young, don't fool yourself. They do.

Children love to emulate their parents. They look up to you. If you drink they have a good chance of drinking too. And maybe even alcoholically. You are their role model.

That's what happened with me. And my parents parents. It has to stop somewhere. Hope it is you.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great reminder, thanks for posting.
Alcoholism runs in my family. I was raised by my single mother who quit drinking before I was old enough to have memories of her drinking and yet I still found myself in this mess. That said, I am so thankful that I have quit and hopefully will be a good role model for my kids. I do think they have it "in their blood" so to speak, but I will do my best to show them what a sober, happy life looks like.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
For those that think your children don't notice or they are too young, don't fool yourself. They do.

Children love to emulate their parents. They look up to you. If you drink they have a good chance of drinking too. And maybe even alcoholically. You are their role model.

That's what happened with me. And my parents parents. It has to stop somewhere. Hope it is you.
Are you saying it happened with you, or you and your kids? I swore I would NEVER be an alcoholic like my mom: passing out on the sofa every night, embarrassing me...and I didn't! I became an alcoholic like my dad (quiet, sneaky). Genetics are powerful. I'm so thankful my husband is not an alcoholic, or from an alcoholic family, so at least my kids have that going for them.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It may seem aggressive but I decided not to have children because of the genetics of alcoholism. My parents, my sister, my grandparents on both sides, their parents. Forever it seems. I couldn't bring myself to potentially pass it on.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's my other concern, that my daughter will emulate me and become an alcoholic too. I cannot bare to think if that outcome. She doesn't deserve that.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And I did say my reason was generations of genetics. But it's not only that it's behavior. So whether you may have the "gene" if there is one, you can stop the behavior.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
And I did say my reason was generations of genetics. But it's not only that it's behavior. So whether you may have the "gene" if there is one, you can stop the behavior.
True. It's harder than you may think, but it definitely can be done.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am breaking the cycle and being completely honest with myself and my daughter. She is 5 and I will always be honest with her.

I remember putting my mom to bed as a teenager. Not a lot, but a few memories of this sort.

I am breaking the cycle and it feels pretty great!
Old 07-05-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This for sure I feel is one of the worst faces of addiction when there are children involved. They are quite observant, and even at a young age parents that continue to drink and/or use, set their children up for a strong path down the same road.
I remember when I was a kid I had a friend with an alcoholic mother. I recall having to help him carry her to bed a few times not knowing what was going on, but a few years later we discovered it was because of drinking. He was an otherwise good kid, did well in school, etc, but because mom drank, he thought it was a perfectly fine thing to do. Soon after his grades started to fall, ended up dropping out of school, got hardcore into drugs and alcohol, and otherwise now is living a life of addiction like his mom.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was just thinking about this last night. I have two young children and it is very important to me to break the cycle. Teach them the good habits and hopefully when faced with the bad ones they will be armed with the knowledge to do what is right. It's gotta stop somewhere and it ends with me. I grew up with alcoholics and addicts of various types and I never saw anyone not indulge in their substances to excess.