Notices

How many of you stopped drinking only after hospitalization?

Old 07-04-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many of you stopped drinking only after hospitalization?

I had so many dates--I mean so many. Those dates would swish by and I'd still be drinking. Both times I stopped for more than a week or two (I think I made it to nearly a month one time stopping on my own), it was only because I was hospitalized and nearly dying (especially the last, and I hope it was the last, time. I don't know why something that dramatic has to happen to allow me to reckon with myself.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I guess nearly dying was something I couldn't rationalise away. Everything changed for me from that point - it was literally my turning point.

I really hope you can continue to make it yours too notgonnastoptry
Old 07-05-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Notgonnastop,

I did not quit until being hospitalized - 4 times, in fact. And I did even drink a couple of times after the 4th detox, though by a miracle I did not enter into an out-of-control state. The last time I drank I had only a glass, and the next day I had withdrawal symptoms and panic. It didn't lead to the hospital that time, but it did mark a turning point as Dee puts it. That was when I knew I was absolutely broken and that there would be no more pleasure or escape found in booze. (As if the 4 hospital stays weren't enough evidence)
Old 07-05-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I quit after being hospitalized from withdrawal. I couldn't drink at work and I could make it 8 hours without a drink. One day it caught up to me and I withdrew at work. I could have died but obviously didn't. Even in my clouded alcoholic brain I could see this as a problem
Old 07-05-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I'm not sure it was really necessary for me to go to the hospital, but it seemed like the only solution at the time. They checked me over and gave me two IV's, then sent me to a no-cost detox program where the generous folks let me stay a week. That is where my recovery really started.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was never hospitalized for my drinking. I quit because my ex filed for custody of our son.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was actually hospitalized twice with withdraws but did not quit either time. I actually quit because I finally got so sick of being sick and tired. I could tell my health was going down hill fast. I knew if I didn't stop soon I would be dead soon. I couldn't do that to my husband and family. Going on 70 days sober and I'm so glad I made the decision
Old 07-07-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

'How many of you stopped drinking only after hospitalization?"

not me, but ill share one I know of.
the brother of a woman I was in a relationship with. his last time in the hospital he was in such bad shape he was in the ICU. that was the first time I saw the DT's in real life (even medicated he had them). he also had to be fed through a tube. was on a respirator for a few days.
and had wet brain.
he didn't drink again because he died 4 weeks later.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had three different serious hospital visits- the last one was Christmas Eve and Day of 2013. I went to visit a friend and started seizing so badly that I collapsed; at first they thought I might have a rare brain tumor....but it was basically "alcohol poisoning" for lack of whatever the right term was. I drank either late Christmas Day after I got home, or the 26th.

I still didn't stop.

I had been told I would die if I didn't stop, and I knew I was getting very very close to cirrhosis.

I finally had a stop-do-not-pass-go talking to of my life from my brand new liver dr (Dr Sunshine- I LOVE that), whom I met bc of a fall I went to see my GP about - she sent me straight to his office. They got together with my psych and collectively wanted me to go that day to an expensive rehab place here (one expensive one, one "regular" one and one Cuckoo's Nest place had each made no difference in my drinking) - my parents said no. I stopped drinking cold turkey and am now 136 days sober thanks to AA. For whatever reason, Dr Sunshine's ass kicking and telling me I had a yr, 18 mos to live finally got through.

Thank God. I would never, ever want to have my drinking life back. And I won't.