Notices

At the block party - checkin in

Old 07-04-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

At the block party - checkin in

Just touching base. All the ladies are drinking - everyone but me. So far so good but honestly this kind of sucks - it is hot and boring
Old 07-04-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, it's hard especially this weekend. It's day 6 for me and I though the same, this sucks. But you know what doesn't suck? Going to bed without regrets, no tossing and turning all night just to wake up tired, no bloated face, blotchy skin, tomorrow wake up refreshed and enjoy the day. These are the things I keep reviewing in my head during all the parties I attended this weekend. And always having a bottled water in my hand, that hugely helped. Hang in there. Move around a lot. Leave early. Take deep breathes!
Old 07-04-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad you checked in, madgirl. Betha's right - you'll be so happy in the morning when there's no remorse or guilt. It feels strange tonight, but it does get easier as you get some sober time behind you. Be proud of yourself.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im good - first "party" sober but Im at around 4 months now and cant hide forever 😉
Old 07-04-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

The holidays, especially the first year, are rough - but you're doing this.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck. Just know you are doing the right thing. We can drink like them. I ended up in a bar today (it was in one of those super fancy supermarkets and the bathrooms--for the kid--were located within). I haven't had any cravings since the hospital, even when I saw people drinking at some of the fests I went to (with my family). But today, my kid was taking forever in the bathroom, and the Monday Martinis special sign struck some chord somewhere. Not in a deep way and I'd never go through it (I have the "extra ammo" of nearly dying and still not knowing what lasting damage I did, so I'm scared to death). Still, it was kind of hard seeing everyone pre game in there.

Oh well. This will be the second night of fireworks for us. We live in a big city, so we are hitting up another area in a few hours and then doing some of our own in the yard.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job staying sober! Honestly, I think I'd be bored, too. When everyone around you is drinking and that's all that's going on, it gets old fast. You can always leave early.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Enjoy the food.

I pay attention to who is drinking and who is not.

I like to see when the drunk switch flips.

I like to chat w the sober people. They make sense.

The drinkers get self absorbed, slur their words, and some....like I used to do...pass out. Lol....

I plan to help light some fireworks and hit the gym in the morning.

Alcohol is poison. Stay clean.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Madgirl glad your holding it down remember you have nothing to prove at 4 months your doing great having a exit plan in these situations helps, what to say beforehand having a friend to call etc
Old 07-04-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok -showed up with cupcakes and la croix, made some nice small talk, and hung in as long as I could. Many in attendance were nursing hangovers from the weekend - I was able to "escape" at a good time to walk the beagle before the big booms start.

I dont feel like I missed out on anything, and Im proud I was able to mingle without feeling awkward.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I noticed the "serious" drinkers were clustered together, and the ones sipping on that one beer for hours (lol!) were gravitating toward each other.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

'Birds of a feather..'
Good job , glad you got to enjoy the cupcakes , Happy B day America
Old 07-04-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job!! Made me smile to read this.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good going madgirl

D
Old 07-04-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Sounds like you did great, MG!
Old 07-04-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you posted this. I felt the same way today. Not really wanting to drink but feeling irritable and bored. But I believe these feelings will be fewer and far between with time. And commitment. This too shall pass!
Old 07-04-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I went to a BBQ at a friend's house, kids were swimming and playing, and very few people were drinking. Those who were did not drink much. It felt good leaving and driving home with no worries, I was vigilant about several other cars driving way too fast, or too slow though.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great job mad girl!
Old 07-05-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks all! Sure is nice waking up for work feeling rested and with a clear head. A year ago I would have been sick and my anxiety through the roof - this rocks!
Old 07-05-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
I noticed the "serious" drinkers were clustered together, and the ones sipping on that one beer for hours (lol!) were gravitating toward each other.
I remember goin to a charity trivia gig sober. there was alcohol served and the table behind us was indulging quite heavily.
there was a break in the action and I turned around. at the table behind us were 2 ladies sittin there who I think had been indulging quite a bit in the alcohol.
it was quite entertaining to me to sit,watch, and listen as they carried on conversation with each other- both talking about completely different topics.
I was able to say," im dam glad those days are behind me!"