Old 07-04-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
For L
Bahahahaha, now that's funny!!!
Old 07-04-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Hi, all,

Back from the Badger State. I came over a hill on the interstate and saw an ocean of cars ahead of me. Fortunately, I'm from those parts and knew to get off at an upcoming exit ramp and take a backroad I knew would work well. From that road, I could get only fleeting glimpses of the interstate but at one point saw a lot of emergency vehicles. Lots of people on the road who've been drinking ... and just lots of cars in general, many going too fast.

Hope this finds you're all safe and sound!

V.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Old 07-04-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Afternoon, all. My lazy morning turned into another project day. Set the last cabinet in the kitchen (the kitchen remodel has been a slow, year-long saga of triumph and frustration), and now we're looking for a soapstone countertop remnant to have a nice stone surface next to the stove for hot dishes. Got a few more shelves cut for the walk-in pantry, which my wife is gleefully re-organizing now that the shelves are finally done and the floor is in. Then went and cut and installed the trim for my mother-in-law's back door, which I've been neglecting for months of weekends due to all of the inspired binging I've been doing on the weekends.

All told, I've gotten as many projects done in the past few days as I would have gotten done in two months if I were still drinking. Simply marvelous! Now I'm chilling on the patio watching the kiddos swim in the pool, contemplating nothing more than what I might have for dinner.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Glad you are feeling OK Melina

I hope that dragonfly made it back to dry land, he or she deserved to

Sitting out on my balcony feeling dispirited, my country is full of people who are dumb as horses who see the world in a really simplistic, myopic way. I feel that something has been torn away and not just my EU citizenship, although that's bad enough. Worrying times
Old 07-04-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Trying to catch up.

Username, it's a joy to read your posts. Glad that you're here in our little world of the Weekenders.

Oh, Sao. Wish I had the right words. It is difficult to want better for the nations in which we live -- and then to see things go awry. When I read that the most searched term in Great Britain, post-Brexit vote, was "what does it mean to leave the EU" I cringed.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Happy 4 th my dear weekenders!
Xoxo
Love from Canada!
Old 07-04-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Brexit is simply depressing Sao. Now, all of the "leaders" involved in it are bowing out of public life, avoiding the consequences of their actions.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by Behan View Post
Brexit is simply depressing Sao. Now, all of the "leaders" involved in it are bowing out of public life, avoiding the consequences of their actions.
Makes you wonder if they were being paid to push Brexit.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I've been following the Brexit situation. It's really odd. Seems like a mistake. I'm not sure though. I have googled the EU and what it actually means to be a part of that union, and what it will mean now as a consequence of the vote. It's confusing.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by ScrewdUpInDe View Post
Makes you wonder if they were being paid to push Brexit.
Actually SUID I don't think it was a question of being paid (although it meant plenty of work on the pro Brexit tabloids) - more that it suited their leadership ambitions to say they were pro Brexit even though they knew it was a mistake (Boris Johnson for example was pro EU until as recently as February of this year)

His miscalculation was that he expected to lose, but increase his own popularity - winning was a disaster for him

As Behan says they are now all quitting the sinking ship

Venecia your words and the rest of the Weekenders are just fine - as a nearly 56 year old I don't expect it to be a disaster for me but I really worry about the kids/grandkids.

It is unusual for me to get down over non personal stuff

Actually I am often prone to bouts of misplaced optimsm. My next post is going to be brilliant
Old 07-04-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Do your best

I lost faith in politics around a year ago don't trust none of them & I used to vote all the time since I've been allowed a prime minister forced out the replacement which oh so nearly really happened (Boris Johnson Sao could you have imagined that ??) then Michael Gove does a Macbeth to Boris

And for the labour party sheesh I don't know where to look

We're living in unpredictable crazy times in London Sao don't let it demoralise you brother we'l get through this

And America has Trump to worry about

Where's spitting image when you need it
Old 07-04-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Blame Brussels..
anyway, I had quite an interesting 4th of July... after lunch Mrs Brain came by in her little outfit... next thing you know I'm waking up at 530..

so I didn't get much done today like user did - how'd the apple pie turn out?
That's a cool video Lunar... you take that with a phone? and good version of tore down, don't often see the man without his strat...

guess making dinner is next on the agenda here, good thing is that I don't have to put away any tools before the rain starts
Old 07-04-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Actually I am often prone to bouts of misplaced optimsm. My next post is going to be brilliant
Old 07-04-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

And America has Trump to worry about
The sad thing about that is if Clinton gets in it will 1000 times worse than Trump. Tells you how screwed up our nation is.
Anybody but Hitlary!
Old 07-04-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
saoutchik

We're living in unpredictable crazy times in London Sao don't let it demoralise you brother we'l get through this
Very true Soberwolf - even Chris Evans has resigned from being in charge of Top Gear

In addition it is annoying that I have to keep hearing about all the craziness every time I switch on the radio, tv or go on social media

Paul Nietzsche once wrote that life was a choice between suffering and boredom. He never said anything about having to put up with both at the same time.

Hey ho I better go to bed. One good thing about being quiet at work is that I don't need to get in until 9 am
Old 07-04-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hear ya, Sao. Nietzsche was a smart guy. Sigh.

Hey, I've got an idea! There's a job in England that no one seems to want. And if you got it, we'd have a heckuva sober bash at No. 10.

#Sao4PM

Has a good ring to it.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Do your best

My neice arrived not long ago so we were having a chat and a laugh topical subjects seem to be percolating today

As I high fived my neice on getting her degree and how awesome she has done this year I said I may need your help painting the windows since we picked up the paint on the weekend

Feel a bit nervous and really happy at the same time she's happy and that's what counts

Goodnight everyone
Old 07-04-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

haha SW, I am reminded of when the wife helped me paint the bedroom a few years ago. I had to pick up an extra gallon of paint to make up for all she got on herself and everything else except what we were painting...