Notices

a no binge weekend

Old 07-03-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

a no binge weekend

At the time that I usually drink on Friday nights, I changed a lot of my routine so I could have that crucial gap that gives me a chance to make an actual choice in response to my environment. And here's what I realized (though I have learned this before): I usually drink at this time because it's a super stressful slot in my day/week and I felt stuck, like I couldn't leave the situation. But this week, I just excused myself, left for 20 min and the stress was so much lower when I returned. I thought it would be so hard but it's really not if I allow myself to take a break when I need it. I'm so grateful for this sober, beautiful weekend.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

Great job removing the stress and handling it.
What really helped me was reading AVRT, not sure if you are familiar with it(there are great threads on this in the Secular Connections forum here on SR).
The AV is all the positive thoughts about alcohol use, eg that alcohol 'helps' relieve or handle stress. And It(AV) lies, big time.
What you described shows this to be true, there 'is' a certain time or situation that is associated with stress and one of (if not the only) way to get through it was to drink, what you did and experienced shows how big a lie that thinking is, good job.
Dismissing the AV every time drinking is presented as an option whether it is to handle stress , enhance enjoyment, whatever will in time cause those thought patterns to lose validity , the lie will be exposed over and over again , and they will appear weaker and more pathetic. Squash that AV, expose it for the liar It is, You can do it.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great news. Breaking the cycle/trigger times are really hard in the beginning. But I refer to it as the "new normal". In other words, once you get a new routine without alcohol, that time will be comfortable for you as opposed to stressful.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Those moments of freedom and choice where we once responded habitually come as a real blessing. Enjoy your sober weekend, and congratulations
Old 07-03-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great job not drinking