Notices

Encouragement needed

Old 07-02-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Encouragement needed

Hi I have tried to stop drinking several times and it's always on Day 3 that it unravels. Would really appreciate support in getting through it - either stories or things to do to distract myself from the cravings. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome swar to SR! There are lots of things you can do to distract yourself.

Have you tried the arcade? They have lots of games there. There are also interactive word games, which you can find here: Interactive Word Games - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

It would also be awesome to have you as part of the 24 hour thread. You commit to 24 hours each day and I put your name on the list for your commitment. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-145-a.html

The weekender thread is also very fun and will lift your spirits. Lots of wonderful people there and with the 24 hour thread.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-2016-a.html
Old 07-02-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi swar - you'll find a lot of support here - read and post as much as you like

I'd also like to put in a vote for the Class of July support thread - all you need to do to join is post

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-1-a-3.html

D
Old 07-02-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your speedy responses and the suggestions. I'll check in to the weekend and 24 hour threads. And I'll look into the July class. Much gratitude for the support.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 3 was a stumbling block for me, too. I would always feel a bit better physically and emotionally and would slip back into the old routine. I think you will find that once you get past that day, things will start to feel a bit easier.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 3 kept tripping me up too...for a long time! I finally decided to start outpatient treatment 3 evenings per week, in addition to AA and it is making all the difference in the world. I'm on day 20 & feel strong. Good luck! You can do it!
Old 07-02-2016, 11:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sober style

Hi, Swar. I exhort you in your Day 3 sobriety struggles. I find doing Sudoku puzzles helps me a lot, just immerse myself completely in the numbers and the time flies by without drinking. I'm on Day 26 btw.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Amazed at all the warm kind words of encouragement here. Thank you so much.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Count me in the "day 3" club. Day 3 tripped me up more times than I can count. But I DID get through it and am now 111 day sober. If it makes you feel any better my doctor told me that at day 3 the last bit of alcohol has left your system so it is the first day you are truly alcohol free and that is why it is so difficult for a lot of people. So know that there is a legitimate reason you are feeling this way, it is not just you, you are not weak, it is absolutely difficult for a reason. But, the good news is, you can fight through it like so many people have. You really can do it. Do anything it takes t get through the day, tomorrow you will be stronger for it.
I would suggest things that rush along the process of getting the last alcohol out- a good, sweaty workout or run, a hot bath with salts, eating "detox" foods. Concentrate on treating your body right instead of harming it.
And lastly, check in here anytime you need to.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Swar

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 07-03-2016, 03:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Count me in the "day 3" club. Day 3 tripped me up more times than I can count. But I DID get through it and am now 111 day sober. If it makes you feel any better my doctor told me that at day 3 the last bit of alcohol has left your system so it is the first day you are truly alcohol free and that is why it is so difficult for a lot of people. So know that there is a legitimate reason you are feeling this way, it is not just you, you are not weak, it is absolutely difficult for a reason. But, the good news is, you can fight through it like so many people have. You really can do it. Do anything it takes t get through the day, tomorrow you will be stronger for it.
I would suggest things that rush along the process of getting the last alcohol out- a good, sweaty workout or run, a hot bath with salts, eating "detox" foods. Concentrate on treating your body right instead of harming it.
And lastly, check in here anytime you need to.
I had no idea that was the case. I was looking all over the internet for some information about that. Thank you for the suggestions on activities.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How are you feeling Swar?
I second Mera's idea about exercise / sweat. . .
I had a lot of nervous energy and anxiety to deal with when I quit.
Exercise really helped me deal with it.
I suggest both yoga and the gym, or hiking, or something you can lose yourself
in like running, biking, rowing. etc. . . .

You can get past day 3 and you will be amazed how much easier this will be
in a week or two--
Old 07-03-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Swar View Post
Hi I have tried to stop drinking several times and it's always on Day 3 that it unravels. Would really appreciate support in getting through it - either stories or things to do to distract myself from the cravings. Thanks in advance for the help.
Possibly attend a few AA meetings
and some nice sober bicycle rides.
Being sober and a little outside exercise is good for us.
As we ride and concentrate on how grateful we are to be sober.

It's been working for me for many years now.

Mountainmanbob
Old 07-03-2016, 08:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Swar, I can completely relate. I was a weekend warrior and as much as I'd hate myself on Sunday for drinking Friday and Saturday...by the time the next Friday rolled around I had forgotten how bad it was and physically felt great. So of course the temptation to do it all again was always there.

Hopefully you can break the cycle a few times and get some longer term sobriety under your belt. Keep trying man.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you so much thomas11 for the words of encouragement. I'm optimistic what with all the support, I can break through the third day.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
How are you feeling Swar?
I second Mera's idea about exercise / sweat. . .
I had a lot of nervous energy and anxiety to deal with when I quit.
Exercise really helped me deal with it.
I suggest both yoga and the gym, or hiking, or something you can lose yourself
in like running, biking, rowing. etc. . . .

You can get past day 3 and you will be amazed how much easier this will be
in a week or two--
It's morning in my part of the world and being on Day 2, I am, like always, energised and optimistic. Tomorrow will be Day 3, and it's always at the end that I quietly down a few on my way back home. I'm thinking of how to change up that part of the habit in a small way, such as not taking the tube but a bus for a change, or walking on a different side of the road. I understand it may sound odd but breaking up habits has helped me in the past with other addictions.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

A big Southern welcome from Atlanta!! Glad you are joining us.

Everyone said the right things. You will feel better, promise. If you just don't drink!

I didn't know about the arcade but that does sound cool!!

My things to do?
Binge watch something on Netflix- I am still going allll the way back through Scandal (even though I watched the current season!)
Read. Books, cooking magazines (I love them, even though I haven't cooked since I stopped drinking in Feb!), whatever
"Shop" on Amazon and fill up a cart
Laundry
Mad texting with one of my friends who "speaks" like I do

Good luck! You can do this.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's morning in my part of the world and being on Day 2, I am, like always, energised and optimistic. Tomorrow will be Day 3, and it's always at the end that I quietly down a few on my way back home. I'm thinking of how to change up that part of the habit in a small way, such as not taking the tube but a bus for a change, or walking on a different side of the road. I understand it may sound odd but breaking up habits has helped me in the past with other addictions.
It completely makes sense to me to change things up. As they say, "nothing changes if nothing changes".

You're doing great!
Old 07-03-2016, 11:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This is a super smart idea and really does help. Anything you can do to keep you off auto-pilot and change up your habits will be useful.