Notices

Encouragement needed

Old 07-04-2016, 12:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Change of routine is a great idea.
I also made sure I left my purse at home so buying wasn't an option x
Old 07-04-2016, 01:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I usually "quit" for 3 days. On the 3'rd day the hangover was gone and I'd feel good so I'd drink again. Definitely have something else to do. Go to a movie,walk...anything but sitting around with nothing to do but think about drinking. AA meeting? Early on I would just try to make through one day, "One day at a time". If I thought about never drinking again it made it much more difficult. Yesterday I was at the lake with my fishing/drinking buddies . I wanted some beer but told myself that I wasn't drinking Today. It gets progressively easier. Try to make it one day at a time for a while.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 3 dawning in my part of the world. Oddly enough Day 2 was hard - I felt sad for some reason about not drinking, as though saying farewell to something that has walked with me for so long, and a realisation that I have been addicted to drink all my life, albeit in certain periods. But I took all your encouragement with me and kept reminding myself giving up is not only doable but the only way to live again. I'll be taking all your wise words with me today. Thanks everyone so much for the support. You make this journey easier.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You're doing great...I completely understand the three-day barrier. Ironically, this time guess which day was by far the worst of all 185 to date...day four. So I'm wondering if that isn't the day that withdrawal didn't really kick in, at least for me, and I've never been a quantity kind of girl, I was just about consistency.

Just try to remember if things get rough (I mean mentally rough, if they get physically rough get thee to the ER), that these early days do not equal sober life. So many of us hang in for the first week or so, it still kinda sucks scissors, so being instant results kinds of people, we decide that being sober isn't worth it.

It's worth it. Just give it time.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Lots of love and support to you. I have been in your shoes so many times. Any time my life ever feels unmanageable, booze is always the culprit. Drinking is such a double edge sword because we drink to ease the stress and anxiety but it only makes it worse.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Made it through the third day. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Swar View Post
Made it through the third day. Thanks everyone.
Woot! Woot! Great job, swar!!
Old 07-05-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Now onto fourth. Will check in next week to let you know how it's going. Have a good rest of the week.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

We're here if you need us...happy day 4!
Old 07-05-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
~sb

Why not check in daily? It doesn't take long.....
Old 07-05-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Now onto fourth. Will check in next week to let you know how it's going. Have a good rest of the week.
I agree with sugarbear. Why not continue checking in and getting support? It's gotten you this far and can get you much further.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:31 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

That's a good idea. I'll keep on checking in. Day 4 seemed to be as hard as Day 3
Old 07-06-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you thought about joining the Class of July support thread Swar?
All you need to do to join is post

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-1-a-7.html

ETA: I see you have joined - my bad - it's good to check in regularly though - really get to use it as a tool?

D
Old 07-06-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hey Dee I'm already there. So checking in as suggested.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Starting day 6 of sobriety. It's beautiful here and not drinking is a great start to the weekend. Can't wait to experience no hangovers on Saturday or Sunday. Sobriety is giving me back my focus and confidence. The only time I find it tough is in the late afternoon between 5-6 pm. My days are so full of things to do at work and people to meet that by that time I am exhausted. When I get out of the office I walk past two off-licenses and it takes tremendous will power to continue. A drink always gave me energy and tension relief but I would never stop at 1 or 2 or even after a bottle of wine. The past few days have made me understand that I can never "control" my intake which was the premise I was working along before stopping. Thank god I am not alone in this. Apologies for the mind dump but easier to express here.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

No apologies needed, mind dump is what this place is about!

You hit on something too

I felt sad for some reason about not drinking, as though saying farewell to something that has walked with me for so long
This is just my opinion but I also found that quitting drinking was like going through somewhat of a grieving process. It's like a horrible relationship that you held on to for way too long. You feel out of sorts for a while because the sameness is gone. With time and distance you eventually get to the "what the he%* was I thinking?" point.

That's a firm promise! Stick with us, the more you post and read the better Whether you realize it or not you're helping us just as much as we're helping you. That's what it's all about!
Old 07-09-2016, 01:44 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I am midway through my 7th day. Again tired at @5pm but had to meet boyfriend at the airport so focused on that rather than downing booze. This is my first Saturday in months that I am been sober and not hungover. No reaching for the drink at lunch or early evening as was the norm on weekends. Feeling positive and optimistic.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:45 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
No apologies needed, mind dump is what this place is about!

You hit on something too

This is just my opinion but I also found that quitting drinking was like going through somewhat of a grieving process. It's like a horrible relationship that you held on to for way too long. You feel out of sorts for a while because the sameness is gone. With time and distance you eventually get to the "what the he%* was I thinking?" point.

That's a firm promise! Stick with us, the more you post and read the better Whether you realize it or not you're helping us just as much as we're helping you. That's what it's all about!
Couldn't agree with you more. The grieving comes and goes but you are right, it feels like the end of a relationship that was horribly co-dependent.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Day 3

Hi I have tried to stop drinking several times and it's always on Day 3 that it unravels. Would really appreciate support in getting through it - either stories or things to do to distract myself from the cravings. Thanks in advance for the help.
My day 3 was very hard too...that's the day I found SR. I practically read all day. It kept me focused into day 4. I'm on day 22 today and feeling great.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I am midway through my 7th day. Again tired at @5pm but had to meet boyfriend at the airport so focused on that rather than downing booze. This is my first Saturday in months that I am been sober and not hungover. No reaching for the drink at lunch or early evening as was the norm on weekends. Feeling positive and optimistic.
This is exactly how it's done Swar! Keep it up!