Notices

Sleeping on xanax

Old 07-02-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleeping on xanax

I have never a pill person. Have been prescribed Ativan and Xanax. I'm "so smart and careful" (not) that I didn't use them much before I didn't want to mix my drinking and pills (rolls eyes because I was already putting myself in danger). So, I have a lot left. I have been having a hard time sleeping (nothing like compared to when I was drinking where I was up every 45 minutes to "re-fuel")

When I do sleep now, sans meds, I go whole blocks without waking (5, even 6 hours). It's great. But the night before last, I only slept two hours (I'm three weeks sober, two weeks out of the hospital). I decided to take a xanax to calm my spinning mind. I slept for about 7 hours straight.

But I'm wondering if this is considered good sleep or drug altered sleep. I know sleep it is a big part of recovery, so I don't want to have a night of fake sleep (though it felt good to be asleep for a long time). I did wake up more groggy than usual, fwiw.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've had struggles with sleep patterns.... seems to be related to mild depression.

In the winter I use melatonin and 5-HTP supplements that help regulate my sleep a bit.

In summer I don't seem to need them as much.

I use exercise and efforts to de-stress and also therapy - all of which seem to assist with regulating sleep.

My personal philosophy is that I don't want to use meds to sleep if I can avoid it, so I focus on treating the underlying causes of sleep issues.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is also part of the recovery process. You are pretty early into it at this point. I would let your dr know what's going on and let them decide what's best of anything. You wouldn't want to create another plan in assuming. Best of luck sleeping. It did get better for me along the way though. And most of the time now even if I get less sleep I feel far better rested.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did you dr prescribe Xanax to help you sleep? If so, you might want to ask him if this is considered good quality sleep. If not, maybe it would be a good idea to let your dr know you are having problems sleeping and see what he suggests.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The issues with sleep are just part of early sobriety.

Taking Xanax is a pretty slippery slope, in my opinion. I took Xanax in the past for anxiety and I pretty quickly found out it's as bad as alcohol for that psychological crutch.

I made it through early sobriety with herbal tea and sleeping when I could. Some nights that was three hours and some nights it was 12. I would caution against using Xanax at all.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If either of your meds were prescribed for sleeping, I misunderstood. Congrats btw on your 3 weeks! Everything gets better as you stay sober!
Old 07-02-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Craig

Talk to your Dr. for sure. There's things you can take for sleep much, much less nasty than xanax.

It always takes my body at least a month to get anything close to normal too. It should get better. For me typically 2 months is needed at least before I start feeling "myself" again whatever that is.

As for medicated sleep, I am no doctor and no expert, but I always feel like a medicated sleep isn't quite as good, but it is far, far better than not sleeping. My alcohol problems go hand and hand with insomnia. Being tired all the time is not a good place to be.

The best part about being sober for me is being able to wake up in the morning feeling great.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope this helps

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-to...thy-sleep-tips

https://sleepfoundation.org/
Old 07-02-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, all. I was prescribed a sleeping pill over a year ago. I forget it's name. It also helps with anxiety. It starts with a t. I'll look at it later. I've never taken even one (again, mixing drinking with pills is scary, though, I was already putting myself at risk with all the drinking). Even now, I won't take one of them because when she gave me the RX (last summer after stint one), I lied about being in the hospital (I didn't tell her). That's why I never used any. And that's why I continue not to use it (I don't know how it will act on my healing body). This year, I was straight up with another GP about everything. I don't care anymore about the stigma. I just want to get better. I should have asked him.

Xanax was prescribed for general anxiety and to relax me. Both were legitimately prescribed by my doctor. But yesterday, I had to get a note from the doctor that I wouldn't be using any benzos (my outpatient rehab wants to prescribe and assess and they will decide.