Notices

Stories from a nurse

Old 07-01-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stories from a nurse

I'm making two threads today, just because. My sister in law has been a nurse for 20 years. She has a book full of interesting stories. I hear stories about her on the geriatric unit which usually ends in death, and it makes her sad because she's quite the caring one. There are also the flu season stuff, outbreaks of one kind or another, some just plain weird medical anomalies but there is one constant she talks about. Alcohol. I have heard dozens of the stories. It seems one thing she can count on every day is a patient or two that is in the hospital due to complication from alcohol abuse. Organ failure, jaundice, withdrawal, vitamin deficiencies and the list goes on. I mention it because when I was a newcomer one question I asked was "does anyone really ever die from alcoholism?" The answer is without question: Yes.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a good friend who is a nurse as well, and she has talked about how horrible death from alcoholism complications really is. Ironically, she is a binge drinker and has acknowledged it (she was one of my drinking buddies). She is an incredible nurse, but I don't think she really "gets it" in terms of the damage binge drinking can do. She simply states that when she does drink, she is "in it to win it".