Notices

Trying to make sense of it

Old 07-02-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've been dealing with this drinking problem for 30+ years

Trying to change a 30 year old behavior pattern by yourself is close to impossible. Spending time on this website every day will help, but I think face to face support in your hometown is needed. AA can help there.

I drank for many years, and I tried to moderate my drinking so that I could drink like a normal person many times. During some desperate times I found this website and finally got my butt to AA, and that combination made the difference.

I've now got several years of sobriety, you can get that too.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
You can.

The question is - when will you actually CHOOSE to?

I know the whirlpool you're caught in. I was in it for years.

You have more power than you are giving yourself.

Choose it.

Choose it and act to support that choice.

You can do it.

^^^This, the choosing and acting to support that choice.

I recently verbalized, several times, that "my recovery work is 99% of my life, or what I do. The other 1% includes work, sleep, fun stuff, paying bills, laundry..." That's how much time this girl chooses to spend on her recovery.

"We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem [drinking] has been removed. It does not exist for us...That is how we react as long as we keep in *fit spiritual condition.*" p 87 of the Big Book

I vote for AA to help you get started and keep you choosing sobriety. Lots of other things people have mentioned help in the day to day, too - we all need distractions at times, thought and meditation and studying consistently....others recommend ART and such...hope you try something and make it work for you. You can do it.